Lala: Attempting to wean/taper off Cymbalta

Lala

I began taking an antidepressant, Effexor, approx 10 years ago following a divorce after 21 yrs of marriage and uncontrollable crying that was frightening my young daughter. I was told “ it doesn’t change your personality, it just takes the edge off” and allows you to be more functional. I was a single mom in a cut throat stressful job and meeting the wrong guys. It worked! No more crying. I felt great. I changed docs who put me on 90 mg of Cymbalta, 150 mg of Wellbutrin and 60 mg of Vyvanse. His dx was GAD with secondary depression and ADD. I’m not sure if it was true. I think it was situational and the meds made me forgetful. I was losing things and wanting to see constantly. I’m retired now and daughter graduated college and moved away for a job. I was ready to get off the drugs to see who I really was now - warts and all. Doc advised I needed the meds. I hated the sedated feeling. He advised switching to Pristiq. I got script filled but decided not to start it. So, unknown to doc, I tapered myself to 60 mg for a few months then 30 mg for a couple few months. No withdrawal symptoms at all until I stopped, cold turkey, from 30 mg. It hit at about day 4. Even still using the Wellbutrin 150 mg my symptoms began - no brain shocks, just severe emotional swings, nausea, fatigue, insomnia, difficulty concentrating, sore throat, weepy, sad, nasal stuffiness, dizziness, etc. It’s making relationships difficulty. Yestetday, desperate, I cut up the Pristiq and took about 1/3 to simulate about 20 mg of Cymbalta to help. I was going to taper Wellbutrin last. Not a great idea but it helped a bit. Then I researched and found the nightmare story of Cymbalta, dependency and withdrawal. And advice on tapering correctly. I’m here to do just that. Thanks. Let’s do this. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Lala: Attempting to wean/taper off Cymbalta
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Lala.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

First, here is some general information about withdrawal: 

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The drug cocktail you were placed on - 90 mg of Cymbalta, 150 mg of Wellbutrin and 60 mg of Vyvanse - has a number of major drug interactions. The report is here:

Drug interaction report - cymbalta, wellbutrin, vyvanse

I'm a bit confused by when you came off Zoloft and went onto the combo of Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, and Vyvanse and exactly what you are currently taking. It will help to have a signature. 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Once we know exactly what you are on, we will be able to provide more information.

Please use this thread to ask questions and let us know how you're doing. 

• 9 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi lala, 

Just checking to see how you’re doing. Are you still doing okay? 

Could you please put in your signature. Thank you. Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg. 2020➡️5.60 to 4.80. 2021➡️4.60 to 4.0.  2022➡️3.95 to 3.55. 2023➡️ From 3.50 to 3.25.  2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️May1=3.05✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Drug signature format.  Please keep it simpleNO diagnoses or symptoms please.  Thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi lala, 

ChessieCat sent you the signature link, just press on it. 

We would love to hear how you continue to do on your recovery journey. Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg. 2020➡️5.60 to 4.80. 2021➡️4.60 to 4.0.  2022➡️3.95 to 3.55. 2023➡️ From 3.50 to 3.25.  2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️May1=3.05✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.