Hartigan: Constant existential thoughts for weeks

Hartigan

My story:

I started with Effexor 13 months ago to battle my depression. In November i decided to switch to Prozac because of my OCD. I had heard that Prozac was better for OCD. Six weeks ago i decided to quit SSRI for good. I felt that i didn't want to depend on drugs. I took the last pill 13 days ago. The last 9 days i've had CONSTANT existential thoughts and the feeling of complete hopelessness. As if i might as well place myself on the railway right away and be done with it. Now i understand why some people commit suicide.

Is this normal withdrawal symptoms? How long can they last? Is it also possible that i'm feeling the Effexor withdrawal as well? I've heard that the Effexor withdrawal can be extra brutal and last for a year.

Was it a big mistake to change to Prozac from Effexor and then quit like 4 months later?

• ChessieCat changed the title to Hartigan: Constant existential thoughts for weeks
  • Administrator

Welcome, Hartigan.

How did you go off Prozac? How did you switch from Effexor to Prozac? How did you feel while you were taking Prozac?

Yes, we have many people here who have fallen into severe despair after going off drugs too fast.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 2018-03-29 at 9:26 PM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Hartigan.

How did you go off Prozac? How did you switch from Effexor to Prozac? How did you feel while you were taking Prozac?

Yes, we have many people here who have fallen into severe despair after going off drugs too fast.

My doctor told me that i didn't have to taper off the Prozac for that long compared to other SSRI. Can't remember what he said but it was something about Prozac lingering for a longer time.

I went from 40mg to 0 in 4 weeks.

I tapered Effexor very slowly. From 150mg to 0 in 7 weeks. I felt okay with Prozac. But not good enough to withstand all the side effects.

I am feeling EXTREMELY emotional and scared atm. I have constant existential thoughts and feelings of total hopelessness. I think i can handle this for a bit longer but i'm not sure for how long.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hartigan and welcome to SA from me too,

We ask all members to create a drug signature.  Please update it whenever you make a change.  Please keep it nice and simple.  We only need details for the last 2 years.  Date, drug and dose only, no symptoms or diagnoses.  The other years can just be an overview.  

This is the preferred format which is helpful for the mods.  Thank you.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 2 years particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 

There are many existing topics and discussions on this site.  You can use the site search function on the main page of the site at the top right, or use a search engine and include survivingantidepressants.org in your search string.

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.  We suggest that members visit each others Intro topics so that can support and encourage each other.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, Hartigan said:

I tapered Effexor very slowly. From 150mg to 0 in 7 weeks. I felt okay with Prozac. But not good enough to withstand all the side effects.

How did you feel on Effexor, while you were taking it after Prozac?

What were the side effects you had from Prozac?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

35 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How did you feel on Effexor, while you were taking it after Prozac?

What were the side effects you had from Prozac?

I felt too "disconnected" and overall tired on Effexor.

When i was on Prozac i didn't feel as "disconnected" but i had severe insomnia and stomach problems instead.

• Administrator

Did you have a easy time switching from Prozac to Effexor?

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature