Dutch: Good times?

Dutch

Hi All,

What an informative site. Well done all involved! The first SNRI I was put on was Cymbalta (30 mg since January 2010). Over the years I have made three attempts to withdraw from it. My last attempt to withdraw was in July 2017. My doctor recommended me an every other day tapering from 30mg for two to three months and then to stop. I did what she suggested and this was a big mistake. She then switched me to Lexapro (10 mg). That was two months ago. I have experienced some ups and downs with anxiety since then, but things feel relatively stable now. 

Here is my question:

Do you think it is a good idea to begin a 10%-taper soon (maybe in Mai 2018)? Or would you suggest to wait a couple of weeks/months more before tapering (I still occasionally have nausea and anxiety)? My doc says that I should wait 6 months before considering a new attempt.

Thank you very much!

Dutch

January 2010-put on Cymbalta (30 mg) for a depression after a difficult life event. 

2010-2017: several attempts to come off (two-weeks taper): => back to medication

July 2017: last attempt to come off (every other day taper): anxiety, stomach pain => back to a (new) medication

January 2018: Doc put me on Lexapro (10 mg).

2018 escitalopram: 25 September: 10mg, 26 September until now: 9mg

• Altostrata changed the title to Dutch Good times?
  • Administrator

Welcome, Dutch.

Please tell us more about the occasional nausea and anxiety. What is it like? Any times of day when it's better or worse?

Generally, if you're having symptoms from the switch, you should wait before they go away before tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Dutch: Good times?

Thank you, Alto.  I will follow your advice and wait before the symptoms go away before tapering. Anxiety may eventually subsist but nausea should go away!

About my symptoms:

Anxiety (racing thoughts, fear): 
- worse in the morning.
- without a trigger: stress and fatigue make it worse.

Nausea (feeling that I want to vomit, feeling of heaviness in the throat):
- it comes out of the blue: stress and fatigue make it worse.

I don’t know if I am still suffering from Cymbalta withdrawal or if it is from the switch or both?! It’s difficult to say because I’ve already had nausea and bad anxiety after coming off Cymbalta. That’s the reason why the doctor put me back on Lexapro (it means that I still need this protection, she said). Since then, things have improved a lot. I feel that the Lexapro did not make things worse at least.

Have a good day!
Dutch

January 2010-put on Cymbalta (30 mg) for a depression after a difficult life event. 

2010-2017: several attempts to come off (two-weeks taper): => back to medication

July 2017: last attempt to come off (every other day taper): anxiety, stomach pain => back to a (new) medication

• Administrator

Do you get the nausea at any particular times of day?

What time do you take Lexapro? Is the anxiety better or worse after you take it?

It sounds like your nervous system hasn't entirely recovered from the shock of the switch. It may be oversensitive to some things. Are you light-sensitive?

A surge of anxiety in the morning is related to the normal morning cortisol surge, which is triggered by dawn light. Blocking out morning light with blackout curtains, shades, and using a sleep mask can reduce this hypersensitive reaction to morning light.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I generally feel nausea in the late afternoon and evening.

I take the Lexapro in the morning (between 7 - 8am). I have to observe more closely but I don’t feel any difference after I take it. If I get anxiety it’s generally my companion throughout the day.

It is interesting what you say about the light. I have a light alarm clock. It is supposed to wake you in a naturel way with light that increases gradually. I will try a sleep mask and another alarm clock to see if it helps :-)

• Administrator

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. This will help us figure out what's causing what.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Here is my diary:

4/16

7:30 Woke up and took 10 mg Lexapro

8:00 arrived at work: stomach pain, sensation of lump in throat 

rest of the day was ok

4/17

7:00 woke up and took 10 mg Lexapro

8:00 stomach pain, stress

rest of the day was ok

4/18

8:00 sleepy, stomach pain, feel hopeless and depressed the all day: was it a wave?

Evening was better

4/19:

8:00 stomach pain, stress

rest of the day was ok

4/20

8:00 some nausea

8:00pm mild stomach pain

rest of the day was ok

4/21

8:00 mild stomach pain, low motivation

10:00 drank a coffee: lump in throat, agitated

rest of the day was ok

4/22

08:00 woke up and took 10 mg Lexapro

09:00 had sometimes of nervousness

rest of the day was ok

4/23

08:00 woke up and took 10 mg Lexapro

10-12 Nervous but feeling ok

3-4pm mild stomach pain

Regarding the stomach pain, I have already had this problem with cymbalta and don’t know if it’s a symptom from the switch. What is certain is that it has made it worse. Should I wait to see if it improves or try to make a cut in May or June to see if it helps? Except the depressive phase on April 18 I feel quite stable.

Thank you

p.s.: I’ve tested another alarm clock without light and doesn’t feel any difference. I don’t think that I am light sensitive.

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

Just a follow-up to my last post. I’m experiencing the waves (depression, anxiety) and windows. The waves are not pleasant but bearable. I think I have withdrawal from the too rapid taper from Cymbalta and the Lexapro is not masking the effects. Should I consider starting a Lexapro taper? Or just keep on holding until the waves disappear?

Thanks again!

• 5 months later...

Hi, 

Just an update here. 

I have been on 9 mg of escitalopram now for the last 6 weeks and I always have withdrawals symptoms (stomach pain, anxiety, depression) and it seems not to improve. It gets worse. Before this first cut I was really stable.

I guess my question is, should I updose to 9.5 or 9.3mg or stay at 9mg.

Thank you for reading.