Mayflowers22: my journey and current complications

Mayflowers22

Hi everyone,

I was put on 20mg of Latuda around March of 2016, I stayed on it for about 6 weeks before I decided to discontinue it (due to worsening of symptoms). I was prescribed this medication off label for social anxiety, depression, and ADHD. The withdrawal from this medication though was so unexpected and stronger than I could have ever imagined and I have no words that can accurately describe the experience (major akathisia). I was admitted to the psych ward in the hospital for 1 week where I was taken off of Latuda cold turkey and put on either 7.5 or 15 mg of Mirtazapine/Remeron (I can't remember exactly) and 0.5 mg of Clonazepam/Klonopin 2X a day. These meds basically just sedated me and made me majorly depressed and I still had anxiety (from either withdrawal or possibly a side effect of the Remeron?). I was basically walking around like an anxious zombie for months. I think that I began to taper off of the Remeron in November or December of 2016 and the Clonazepam in December of 2016, although this area of my life is very hazy so I don't remember exactly. Things only started to become clear around March of 2017, this is when I am sure that I was off all medications but it could have been sooner (my taper was way too fast). However, I held onto the Clonazepam for when things got really bad and I think that I was randomly taking 0.5 mg 1-2X a week for a couple of months until I decided to get rid of it for good).

I had CONSTANT never ending severe anxiety that never let up for a single second from March 2016 to about December of 2017. I only started to feel actual human feelings around the start of this year and I am currently just beginning to feel normal most of the time again. Although when I say normal, I mean MY normal, so still tons of anxiety and feeling pretty depressed. When I quit all of my meds I also developed severe insomnia, sometimes I would go days only having slept a couple of hours each night. My sleep is finally normal again as of about a month ago (I'm even sleeping 9+ hours sometimes!), although I still have "episodes" where I will only sleep 5 or 6 hours for a few days in a row here and there. 

During the midst of all of this I changed my diet around a lot, I was also convinced that I had Lyme disease and the Lyme disease was causing all of my symptoms (I was in denial that the meds had messed me up so much). I went from an extremely healthy Paleo diet that had been working so well for me for 2 years to a Candida/Keto diet (this made me stop menstruating for 9 months) which I then combined with a low FODMAP diet all while I was stuffing myself with probiotics. I became severely constipated for months on end and did not have a bowel movement without the help of laxatives or enemas for 3 months, and even after that I didn't become regular again until Winter of 2017. I also quit smoking when I went Keto, so the constipation was probably due to a combo of benzo withdrawal, quitting smoking, and not eating carbs. 

I've ended up with some pretty severe gastrointestinal issues from playing around with my diet so much and I'm 99% sure that I have SIBO and Candida as a result of too many probiotics and long term low FODMAP. I am still on low FODMAP because my symptoms get so bad that it interferes with my sleep, I get really gassy and it feels like my intestines get inflamed because I experience a lot of discomfort from trapped gas for days at a time and this causes me to be unable to sleep.

SO, I have had to avoid a lot of foods, which has made my diet pretty deficient. On top of having to go low FODMAP, I've also discovered that I have a thiol sensitivity, so I cut thiol foods out in November of 2017. When I cut these out I gained weight and started getting symptoms of estrogen dominance again (I have a history of this, polycystic ovaries, etc.), I guess the cruciferous veggies were helping in other ways. I also have had to cut out fruit because I get major Candida flares when I eat it. I also avoid free glutamic acid foods like tomatoes, mushrooms, oats, etc., I avoid tyramine because I have issues with high serotonin (I have an MAO-A and SERT mutation, both of which cause serotonin to basically pile up in my synapses). I avoid dairy because of lactose being a FODMAP and A1 casein worsens my symptoms AND I think that I have a sensitivity to lactic acid (I think that it makes me paranoid).

My diet currently consists of romaine lettuce, bell peppers, egg yolks, brown rice, brown rice flour, chicken, and ground beef. I know that I am really doing more damage to myself while on this diet, but I am having a really, really hard time finding things that I can eat. I know that I am not eating enough Vitamin E, B5, Calcium, Magnesium, and Copper and I am really starting to feel the effects of it because my bones and muscles are starting to ache. I try one food at a time and each time I have a problem. Vitamin supplements are also a problem for me since they can be very stimulating, I usually get very bad anxiety. 

On top of things, I am at a point still where I have severe psychological reactions to spices, herbs, any type of supplement, essential oils, probiotics, etc. I've always been very sensitive to most things anyway, but this is over the top.

So for the most part, I am beginning to feel normal again, but I feel like any lasting issues that I'm having is because I am vitamin deficient and I know that I am not giving my body the proper nutrition it needs to heal. Has anybody ever gone through these complications with diet before (where normal foods aggravate your psych/withdrawal symptoms)? Any advice is completely welcome here. My most common reaction to foods is anxiety, social anxiety, anger, crying, and brain fog. 

I tried to keep it short as short as I could :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mayflowers, welcome to SA.  It is good that you are feeling much better after quitting the drugs but it does look like you are still suffering from some withdrawal symptoms. Gut problems and sensitivities are common in withdrawal and many of us suffer with them. I am sensitive to all drugs and many supplements nd have to be careful. I also have to be careful with some foods but also have to try and be balanced. I took probiotics but discovered that they were affecting me adversely so now I stick with daily kefir which is a probiotic drink, just a tablespoon a day seems to be enough for me. I personally prefer the GAPS diet, it isn't as restrictive. It does sound like you are very anxious about food and that is complicating things. We have some excellent topics on diet and emotional problems that might help you. 

First, can you please fill in your signature for us with a brief history of the drugs you took, how you tapered and when you quit, we ask all our members to do this, it means we can see it at the bottom of your posts and understand what is happening with you. You can find instructions here... 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Topics on gut health and diet

DIET AND DIGESTION

That acid reflux pill may be causing your health problems

Digestive problems: Nausea, Diarrhea, Bloating, GERD

Food sensitivities

Gluten Sensitivity Vs. Celiac Disease Vs. Gluten Intolerance...

Histamine food intolerance

Elimination or exclusion diets for reactions to food (food intolerance)

SCD/GAPS/Paleo Diets

Probiotics and gut health
* Many people find this helpful for withdrawal symptoms. Always try a small amount first to see how your system react

I think you may find this helpful, it helped me a lot and I think it will help with your anxieties about food. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/13492-dealing-with-emotional-spirals/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Altostrata changed the title to Mayflowers22 My Journey & Current Complications
  • 2 years later...

I was on a similar diet but instead of bell peppers I had pea sprouts and I also had organic local lamb.  I think the diet does not have enough fat.  It is Keto but without fat which is bad.  I had blood tests done and my AST and ALT ( liver enzymes) went from under 20 to over 300.  The doctors were concerned but they had no clue.  I decided I was starving myself since anorexia can cause this.  

I went off my diet and back on everything except milk.  I felt better and my numbers are back down.  I also ended up on Latuda which is OK.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Mayflowers22: my journey and current complications