Slm0621: Intro - tapering off Buspar

Slm0621

I’m currently tapering off Buspar, from 10mg once daily, on day two of 5mg once daily.

I woke up so dizzy and nauseous today that I could barely stand up.

going from 10mg down to 5mg was at my doctors suggestion but I’m wondering now if it’s too fast and if I should be going slower, especially since I have been on it for so long. My doctor seems to think this is any easy drug to come off of but I’m doubting his experience with it now as he is just a family practitioner and I’ve only been a patient with him for 2 years.

so basically looking for opinions on best way to taper off. Also looking for suggestions on what may help me cope with the dizziness and nausea, especially since nausea/vomiting is one of the main reasons I went on this med to begin with (to treat anxiety and cyclical vomiting syndrome)

Buspar since 2012, tapered down to 10mg at bed time about a year ago, now doing only 5mg at bed time. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Sim0621, and welcome to SA.

To start, in order to give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  

At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.  Your taper of 50% was far too fast.  

Since this is only the second day of your taper, I would recommend that you reinstate today back up to your original 10mg and wait until you stabilize.  Then begin a 10% taper as described in the link above, "Why taper by 10% of my dosage?"  Your first taper will be 10% of 10mg -- 1mg.  So (and this is only after you stabilize) your first drop will be to 9 mg.  There are several ways to create nonstandard doses, including cutting the tablets, using a scale and making your own liquid.  These are described in the link above, "Tips for tapering off Buspar"

Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Altostrata changed the title to Slm0621 Intro - tapering off Buspar
  • Administrator

Welcome, Slm.

You have withdrawal symptoms from reducing from 10mg to 5mg per day. If I were you, I'd go back to 3/4 of a tablet or 7.5mg. Take the half-tablet in place of the 5mg you dropped.

Let your nervous system settle down for some weeks. Then, you may wish to taper more slowly from 7.5mg. As Gridley recommended, Tips for tapering off busipirone (Buspar) will explain how to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Slm0621: Intro - tapering off Buspar