GardenShed: Lexapro - chest pain ... paws?

GardenShed

Hi,

About 12 years ago I took lexapro 10mg for 18 months and tapered completely off in one month. I had terrible brain zaps, loss of appetite, and was uncomfortable in my skin for about two weeks. I was ok for almost one year and then started having panic attacks, which I contributed to going through menopause. The panic attacks were dibilitating, so I went back on lexapro 10mg, and they stopped very quickly. I took lexapro for another 9+ years (never a good time to go off as I was expecting the brain zaps). I had tried to go off several times over the years but never made it. This time I titrated completely off AND after finding this site I believe I did it too fast. I dropped to 5mg for about one month, then 2.5mg for another month and then stopped. Since stopping I have had bouts with insomnia, feeling like crying all the time, and loss of appetite, but the most concerning symptoms have been a constant feeling of pressure in my chest that is sometimes knife like, and goes through to my back, feeling short of breath (my oxygen readings at the doctor's are good though, at 99%), feeling shaky (innercore shaky) all the time and sometimes my heart rate runs between 125-146, and I have had the chills (acutally more like fluctuations in my thermostat, too hot then too cold, but mostly too cold) I have had and EKG (normal), chest XR (normal) and blood work (normal). I've been on prednisone for possible pleurisy (did nothing to stop the chest pain) and then an antibiotic for possible unknown infection????? (did nothing) The most common stuff has been ruled out.  Now the doc wants to do a CT scan. 

Has anyone else had chest pain (pressure), an increased heart rate, and chills? I know that anxiety and panic attacks can mimic a heart attack and it feels like my body is in a constant panic attack state but without dizziness or lightheadness, or an acute sense of doom.

Could it be related to gastrointestinal issues caused by the withdrawl? It's constant no matter what I eat and that hasn't been much.

It makes sense to me that my autonomic nervous system could be wacked out and that could account for the temperature fluctuations and the constant feeling of being in fight or flight mode. 

or....do I continue doing tests???? I have always been healthy. Normal weight, low healthy blood pressure, glucose levels normal, no chronic diseases, I exercise 3-5 times a week and eat 80% healthy with lots of fiber! I don't drink or smoke. I had a normal cardiac stress test 2 years ago (when I went in for chest pain that turned out to be a painc attack, even on lexapro) I'm on no other medications.

Anyone else experience this chest pressure and/or increased heart rate?

Thanks, GardenShed

GardenShed

Lexapro 10mg 2004-2006 2 week taper

Lexapro 10mg 2007-2018 8 week taper

Cyclobenzaprine 5mg Aug. 2018 x 12 doses. Discontinued because it is a CNS depressant. 

Lexapro 1mg Aug. 28, 2018 reinstated for acute withdrawl symptoms

Lexapro 1.25mg Sept. 4, 2018

Lexapro 2.5mg Sept. 29, 2018 and holding

Melatonin 2mg dissolvable tablets 30 mins. before bed and 2mg if I wake in the wee hours of the morning, started 10-03-2018

Vitamin C 1000mg three times daily, started 10-06-2018

• ChessieCat changed the title to GardenShed: Lexapro - chest pain ... paws?
  • Administrator

Welcome, GardenShed.

It sounds like you have Lexapro withdrawal symptoms. It's unlikely a CT scan or any other test will show anything.

If I were you, I'd immediately reinstate 1mg Lexapro to start. This topic explains how to take a small amount Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram) Lexapro comes in a prescription liquid for titration.

You'd stay on this low-dose reinstatement for some time and taper off by tiny amounts later.

Because your nervous system has been sensitized by withdrawal, a very low dose can go a long way without setting off adverse reactions. Please let us know how you're doing.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA from me too,

These topics provide some helpful information:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Good afternoon,

I want to thank you for this site. After suffering for 6 weeks with feeling like I'm in the throes of a panic attack 24/7, I reinstated 1 mg of lexapro two days ago and my symptoms are about 80% improved. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will keep you posted. 

GardenShed

Cyclobenzaprine 5mg Aug. 2018 x 12 doses. Discontinued because it is a CNS depressant. 

Melatonin 2mg dissolvable tablets 30 mins. before bed and 2mg if I wake in the wee hours of the morning, started 10-03-2018

• Administrator

What great news, thank you, GardenShed. Please continue to let us know how you're doing.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Good morning,

After about 6 weeks of horrible withdrawl symptoms I reinstated 1mg of Lexapro. After a week of 1mg I increased it to 1.25mg for about 4 weeks. My symptoms were less intense but I was still having issues with fight or flight like symptoms, waking every few hours with anxiety and unable to go back to sleep so I increased my dose to 2.5mg 1 week ago and my symptoms are much better. I still wake with anxiety, have bouts of chest pain, irritablity, impatience, sadness, and fight the impulse to drive my car into a semi. I would never do that, I couldn't risk others, but the impulse is there. Weird what our minds can do. My question is, does anyone know if my brain will start the healing process while I am still taking any amount of Lexapro? I did try taking magnesium three times and after a day or two of taking it my symptoms got worse and I developed a weird metalic taste in my mouth. When I stopped the magnesium, a few days later the symptoms got better. I haven't been consistant in taking the fish oil. I need to find a different brand that doesn't make me burp fish. Yuck! Thank you for your help.

Gardenshed

GardenShed

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for updating your drug signature with the most recent doses.

Please add the date and the dose you last took to the above signature line.  Thank you.

5 hours ago, GardenShed said:

My question is, does anyone know if my brain will start the healing process while I am still taking any amount of Lexapro?

The brain is constantly trying to regain homeostasis, or factory settings.  When we stop a psychiatric drug too quickly the brain tries to regain homeostasis, which is what causes the withdrawal symptoms.

By reinstating you have given the brain the drug it was needing (physiological dependence, not physical like nicotine or caffeine).  It may take some time for things to settle down into "withdrawal normal".  Once this happens you can then taper the drug slowly.  By taking the drug away slowly the brain is able adapt as it goes so the withdrawal symptoms are usually minor.

6 hours ago, GardenShed said:

was still having issues with fight or flight like symptoms, waking every few hours with anxiety and unable to go back to sleep

waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you for the links. I'm gaining a better understanding of what is going on as time goes on and from all of you. I'm hopeful I have found the stabalizing dose 2.5mg of Lexapro, which I have been on for 9 days now.  Or, maybe I'm experiencing my first window... I have added 2mg of melatonin which helps me fall asleep but not stay asleep. Last night when I woke in the early morning I took another 2mg of melatonin and was able to go back to sleep after about an hour. I woke feeling more refreshed than I have in months and I'm feeling calmer. Yesterday I added vitamin C 1000mg 3 times a day. I'm not going to add anything else right now. 

Thanks. Gardenshed

GardenShed

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, GardenShed said:

I'm not going to add anything else right now. 

Good idea.  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable