gigab: bad insomnia after withdrawal from Trittico / trazodone

gigab

Dear all,

I found this site because i have what i suppose to be a delayed withdrawal syndrome. I had a major postpartum depression with very bad insomnia 2 years ago. I was given first trittico up to 200 mg but wasnt better so i changed the medication for paroxetine 15 mg and stilnox, and kept the trittico at 100 mg. after some weeks i was doing better and i began to taper off my meds: first the temesta, then the stilnox, then the paroxetine, and in the end the trittico 100 mg. I was fine and i stopped the trittico at 25 mg in june 2018. I could sleep but 3 weeks ago (2 months after i had my last pill) my sleep went worser: first i woke up earlier in the morning, i slept less and now i have insomnia again. I had also kind of "windows" where i could sleep better for 3 nights and then it is bad again. Can it be the withdrawal? I read on this site that other people had the same pattern.

Now i tried to reinstate trittico 2 days ago but a small dose (8 mg), the sweat at night stopped, but the insomnia is bad.

Thank you for reading and counseling

Sept. 2016-June 2018 trittico=trazodone (desyrel) 100 mg, taper down over 4 months, reinstated sept. 2018 8 mg

Dec 2016-Feb 2018 paroxetine 15 mg, taper down over 3 months

Dec 2016-Dec 2017 stilnox=zolpidem (ambien) 12,5 mg, taper down slowly over 4 months

Dec 2016-Aug 2017 temesta=lorazepam (ativan) 1 mg, taper down slowly over 6 months

• ChessieCat changed the title to gigab: bad insomnia after withdrawal from trittico (trazodone)
  • Administrator

Welcome, gigab.

Yes, the sleep disruption can be withdrawal. What time of day do you take Trittico?

As you've reinstated only 8mg, you may be aware that your history of going on and off psychiatric drugs has made your nervous system hypersensitive. After you took 8mg, did your sleep get worse or stay the same?

Since the reinstatement of 8mg stopped some withdrawal symptoms, that was a good sign. It could be that 4mg will work better.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. As the drug names are different in other countries, please use the chemical name rather than the popular name, example Trittico = trazodone

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you very much for the answer. I made a signature with the chemical name and the brand names. Since I reinstated the trittico ( I take it in the evening), sleep is a little bit better (maybe 5, 5 1/2 hours at night, I cannot say exactly). I also take fish oil and citrate of magnesium. I don't know what helps more. It is still difficult, today I feel anxious and scared about future. How long do I have to wait until it gets better? Before the major depression I didnt have troubles with sleeping and didnt take drugs, even for a headache, and now I am dependant.

Thank you very much for the site and your help. Those informations are precious and helpful. I will keep an update of my situation

take care

gigab

Sept. 2016-June 2018 trittico=trazodone (desyrel) 100 mg, taper down over 4 months, reinstated sept. 2018 8 mg

Dec 2016-Dec 2017 stilnox=zolpidem (ambien) 12,5 mg, taper down slowly over 4 months

Dec 2016-Aug 2017 temesta=lorazepam (ativan) 1 mg, taper down slowly over 6 months

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Here is my update of the situation: I reinstated 8 mg 4 weeks ago, then 6.25 mg. It's easier to cut. Anxiety is a little bit better. The main problem is bad sleep: I can sleep every night 4, maybe 5 broken hours. I read other threads and know it can be much worse so I try to be happy with it, but really hope it will improve once! What gives me hope is that so many people here could slowly find sleep again. My main fear is that it is my condition now, or a relapse and that it wont get better.

Otherwise I take citrate of magnesium in the evening. I walk every day 2 hours in the woods to relax and enjoy nature (I had thyroid surgery and now I am at home for 2 weeks) and don't feel depressed, only bouts of anxiety and lack of good sleep.

take care

• ChessieCat changed the title to gigab: bad insomnia after withdrawal from Trittico / trazodone