jamcan: Introduction

jamcan

Hi, I'm new to this group and just stumbled across it from a Google search. I have learned a lot from reading some of the forums so I decided to join.  My story is a pretty short one. I had been dealing with some physical symptoms off and on for several months.

After running some tests, my doctor decided it was stress related and put me on 15mg Lexapro. Within an hour of the first dose I was in the ER having a severe reaction.

here they gave me Ativan and said to take it until my body got used to the Lexapro. I got worse everyday and eventually couldn't function at all.

I lost 16lbs in 2 weeks, couldn't sleep at all, uncontrollable tremors, nightmares, I could hardly walk, got a pretty intense trunk rash, and of course a whole book of psych symptoms. I was at the doctor and/or hospital every couple days, but kept getting the same answer, "it can take a while for your body to get used to it."

It finally got to the point that my family told me they thought I needed to be committed to an inpatient psych ward. I felt so bad and helpless that I was more than happy to do that. Fortunately for me, I was not accepted into the inpatient unit, but was put into the day program. On the first day I met with the psychiatrist and the first thing he said to me was that I had to come off the Lexapro immediately, I was having a pretty severe allergic reaction.

He switched me to 15mg Remeron that day to try to help with my eating and sleeping. Initially it had the opposite effect. I was having very intense nightmares and waking up in full blown panic attacks. After a couple days we reduced the dose to 7.5mg.

This helped the sleeping and eating, but I developed daily headaches that weren't touched by pain relievers. In addition, my vision became very blurry and I was experiencing near constant depersonalization. I stayed on this dose for 3 weeks.

After forgetting to take a dose one night I woke up to no headache or the depersonalization. I decided to come off it then. I figured I'd taper and cut the dose in half (so 3.27mg) for a couple nights and then just stopped all together.

I figured since I was on such a small dose for such a short amount of time I wouldn't have W/D symptoms. Not true of course. My appetite has plummeted again and I have great difficulty eating. The insomnia is back and worse. And the headaches are also back (but wondering if they are caused by the strain of seeing since my vision is still blurry). 

Has anyone else dealt with blurry vision on Remeron? Does it go away after discontinuing?

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing, bold and underlining

Anxiety and depression, Lexapro 15mg 9/29/18-10/18/18, Remeron 7.5mg 10/18/18-11/9/18

• ChessieCat changed the title to jamcan: Introduction
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi jamcan and welcome to SA,

I'm sorry to hear that the adverse reaction wasn't picked up immediately.  Unfortunately, we have other members here that have had similar things happen.  However it is good that it was picked up reasonably quickly, rather than a plethora of drugs being thrown at you, which is what can happen in this type of situation.  In that regard you have been very fortunate.

We ask all members to create a drug signature which will show every time you post.  Please using the following format:

Please make it nice simple by following these instructions (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Once we have the exact details of the dates and doses of your drug history we will be better able to offer suggestions.

This is your own introductions topic, where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Welcome, jamcan.

Yes, I can see your signature, thank you.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:55 AM, jamcan said:

On the first day I met with the psychiatrist and the first thing he said to me was that I had to come off the Lexapro immediately, I was having a pretty severe allergic reaction.

The good news is that out of all the doctors who did not recognize your adverse reaction, this psychiatrist did and took you off Lexapro.

Some people are very sensitive to SSRIs and have immediate severe adverse reactions, as you did. Several of our members are in the same situation.

While you are off the drug, your nervous system has been destabilized and probably sensitized by the uproar. You are probably hypersensitive to all psychiatric drugs now, and possibly supplements and foods as well.

Along with other symptoms, this will very gradually fade over possibly many months. You will have to be patient while your nervous system repairs itself.

It sounds like the headache might not have been the mirtazapine but a consequence of the nervous system dysregulation. Has your symptom pattern changed since you quit mirtzapine? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs or supplements (if any), and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

As the mirtazapine helped you with sleeping and eating, even 2mg mirtazapine might help. When you're hypersensitive, a little goes a long way. You'd taper off that by miniscule amounts later.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

As the mirtazapine helped you with sleeping and eating, even 2mg mirtazapine might help.

Please see Post #1 of this topic to help you understand Alto's suggestion:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

An example:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you for all the helpful information. I have definitely been hypersensitive to things, but didn’t make the connection to the adverse reaction to Lexapro. 

I did actually order magnesium yesterday. I’ve been reading a LOT about it and am hoping it can help me. 

Anxiety and depression, Lexapro 15mg 9/29/18-10/18/18, Remeron 7.5mg 10/18/18-11/9/18

• Moderator Emeritus

It's best to only make one change at a time.  So if you decide to reinstate mirtazapine, don't start taking magnesium as well.  Changing two things at the same time confuses things and you won't know what caused any improvement or worsening.  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

I don’t plan on reinstating the mirtazapine. I’ve always been super sensitive to meds so I didn’t want to go on anything in the first place. But I gave it a shot and now I know that it’s just not for me. 

Thank you for the help.

• Administrator

About the mirtazapine:

On 11/16/2018 at 6:55 AM, jamcan said:

After forgetting to take a dose one night I woke up to no headache or the depersonalization.

This indicates you do better with less of it in your bloodstream. As mirtazapine has a half-life of 20 to 40 hours, probably about 1/3-1/2 your prior dose was still circulating in your body. At a lower dose, you probably can get the benefit of the drug without the side effects. How did you feel when you took about 3.27mg?

If you don't want to reinstate, you'll have to find other ways to cope with your symptoms. It could be fish oil and magnesium will help significantly. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...

I wanted to update and seek advice. I have never recovered from my initial Lexapro reaction in October. I seem to be on a rollercoaster. I will start to feel a little better for a couple weeks and then out of nowhere I’m back to debilitating insomnia and loss of appetite. I have lost 25 lbs since all this started. I also experience daily depersonalization which really freaks me out. 

I currently only take 3.75 mirtazapine before bed. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Is this just going to take more time to fix the damage done by the Lexapro? Is there anything I can do to help that process? 

I can’t continue to not eat, but the idea of eating makes me very nauseous. I force feed what I can, but it’s not much. I have never had an issue with eating in my life. The depersonalization is also hugely disturbing to me. It makes me feel so lost and helpless.

I’d love to hear with others think.

• Administrator

Hi, jamcan.

Does the mirtazapine help you sleep? How long have you been taking 3.75mg?

It sounds like you are having a "normal" recovery from withdrawal syndrome. See

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

"Is it always going to be like this?"

The importance of recognizing you're feeling good

What does healing from withdrawal syndrome feel like?

Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

Have you tried fish oil and magnesium?

I have been taking the 3.75 for a little over two months now. I can’t tell if it is helping me sleep or not. At first I thought it was, but like I said, every couple weeks I go for like a week with not being able to sleep at all. In the past when I have tried to come off it I can’t sleep more than 2 hours a night, which is why I’ve stayed on it. I have been too nervous to try to come off it again.

I tried magnesium, but it didn’t seem to help. I will try the fish oil. Anything in particular I should look for? I know there are many different versions out there.

• Moderator Emeritus

Is there any suggestions on how to increase my appetite? Or any thing that I can take to do so? I am literally having to force feed myself everyday. It takes almost 2 hours to eat a small meal.

• Moderator Emeritus