TLF63: scared

TLF63

Hi I have had depression and anxiety most my life and finally agreed to take Paxil that my doc assured me was safe. I took it for only 3 months, and tapered off but only for 5 days. I had a few days of clarity shortly after I quit the evil, but my withdrawals returned with a vengeance! I have vertigo, tinnitus, brain fog, brain zaps, insomnia, crying bouts, excessive worry, now muscle weakness and body vibrations. I also am taking Restoril on occasion which I understand may cause the muscle issue. I sometimes think I’m seriously never gonna feel like me again! Is something else horribly wrong? I’ve been off for 6 weeks but as mentioned but only took it 3 months, I’m terribly sensitive to meds...why is this even legal for human consumption? Doc thinks I just need to exercise...hell I can barely get off my couch! Just thankful I work from home which I can barely manage at times,  otherwise I may have ended up homeless for fear of going out!  

Meloxicam 7.5 for 5 years, Hydrochlorithaiazide 25 mg 1.5 years, Paxil 10 mg 3 months, Buspar 15mg 1 week, Restoril 15 mg 3 doses, vitamin b12 6 months 

• ChessieCat changed the title to TLF63: Scared
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi TLF, 

Welcome to SA. I’m so sorry you are going through this. All of us on this site can relate to withdrawals. What you are going through are withdrawals. There is nothing terribly wrong with you, everything you are going through sounds like withdrawals.

We just need a little bit more information. We need to know the dates when you started your medication and stopped it, how much you were on etc. In the Read This First section there is a link to putting in your drug signature. Chessiecat will send you the link. I’m really sensitive to meds like you too. 

There might be a chance that reinstating a tiny bit of the medication might help a bit seeing you’ve only been off it for six weeks. There is no guarantee though I’m sorry. All I can say though it’s helped quite a few people. You can then taper off it slowly later on. It’s your decision though. 

We just need a bit more specific information.

I see you’re really scared. This is a horrible journey we are going through but we will get there in the end. Again, I’m really sorry you’re going through this. 

Sending sunshine your way☀️☀️☀️

P.s. Please let us know how often you take Restoril  as well. Thank you.

Edited by Carmie

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg. 2020➡️5.60 to 4.80. 2021➡️4.60 to 4.0.  2022➡️3.95 to 3.55. 2023➡️ From 3.50 to 3.25.  2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️May1=3.05✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TLF and welcome from me too,

Please create a drug signature using the following format.  Make it simple by following these instructions (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

Once we have more information we will be better able to offer suggestions.

Links:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for the response and the reassurance...really helps! After thinking it thru a bit more, I think I only tapered for maybe 3 days because I just didn’t know any better. Is it really possible I’d still be going thru such horrid withdrawals after taking it such a short time? Does having an occasional glass or 2 of wine intensify or restart withdrawals? I’m not taking anything now...don’t want to chance it messing up my recovery. Pretty convinced I had a brain tumor or some other fatal illness...doc thinks it’s just anxiety...bloodwork and vitals are all good, this is torture! I don’t understand why these drugs are even an option! 

Meloxicam 7.5 for 5 years, Hydrochlorithaiazide 25 mg 1.5 years, Paxil 10 mg 3 months, Buspar 15mg 1 week, Restoril 15 mg 3 doses, vitamin b12 6 months 

• Moderator Emeritus

Many members have found things increase their withdrawal symptoms, eg food, exercise, heat, caffeine, alcohol, supplements (eg Vitamin B, especially B6 which can be activating).  Light and noise sensitivity can also be issues for some members.  There are many existing topics on this site.  I like to use google and add survivingantidepressants.org to my search term.

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Here is an analogy which helps to explain what is happening:

On 12/4/2015 at 2:41 AM, apace41 said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made. 

Here are some links to SA topics which you might find helpful. 

beer

withdrawal-and-alcohol

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

7 hours ago, TLF63 said:

I don’t understand why these drugs are even an option!

Doctors get their information from pharmaceutical companies.  Pharmaceutical companies are after the $$$$$.  For example, when the Effexor patent was close to ending, pharma developed the cousin drug Pristiq which was different enough to get a new patent.

Gwen Olsen was a pharma drug rep for 15 years.  Check these out:

Gwen Olsen YouTube videos:

We are trained to misinform (6 minutes)

Manipulating Doctors (10 minutes)

Interview:  Confessions of an Rx Drug Pusher (51 minutes Gwen Olsen - ex pharmaceutical representative)

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Some members find Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil  helpful.  Try a small amount, one at a time, to see how you react.  For me personally, I have found that magnesium helps take the edge off my anxiety. There have been several times I have stopped taking it and then restarted it and have noticed a difference each time.

• ChessieCat changed the title to TLF63: scared

The building analogy really makes sense! I’m having a good day today, but I’ve been here before too! Also good to know those triggers too...coulda swore it was happening when I ate certain things! And the hypersensitivity is crazy intense at times...soo glad to know I’m not losing my mind! So glad to have found this forum!!

Edited by TLF63
Added more

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, TLF63 said:

soo glad to know I’m not losing my mind! So glad to have found this forum!!

You and me both, to both of these things.  I would have been condemning myself thinking I was being lazy.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TLF, 

I’m so glad you’re feeling a bit calmer after finding out what you’re going through are withdrawals. It’s scary when you don’t know what’s happening to you, I thought something was terribly wrong with me in the past too. I eventually figured out on my own that I was having withdrawals because when I tapered too fast once I felt like I was totally being electrocuted. That was a light bulb moment.

Doctors had me on and off meds in the past because of chronic pain,  and because of the withdrawals I thought there was something terribly wrong with me physically and mentally. I didn’t know anything about meds or withdrawals. Doctors don’t tell you anything. The majority don’t have a clue about withdrawals, they only know what they’ve been taught in medical school.  I thought I had permanent problems. It was scary and I was suicidal because the akathisia was bad. I couldn’t live like that for the rest of my life. It was such a relief to find out there wasn’t anything wrong with me. 

I’m so glad I found this site too. I ended up getting symptoms like earaches, toothaches, a burning mouth that lasted for a long time etc. At the time I though I had infections and the like, but no, they were withdrawal symptoms as I learnt from this site. I went to the dentist for my toothaches and he said there’s nothing wrong with my teeth and that it was psycho somatic.😄 Definitely withdrawals! I also didn’t have an ear infection. 

I had a burning mouth for months and it was horrible. I started googling burning mouth syndrome and reading how people had it for years and years and was really upset that I had something permanent. Since finding this site I hardly ever google symptoms because it’s usually just withdrawals. I don’t stress about any new symptoms. 

And yes, we can certainly be sensitive to pretty much anything. Drinking alcohol is definitely not a good idea. 

It’s quite a journey trying to come off these meds but we will all get there in the end. 

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg. 2020➡️5.60 to 4.80. 2021➡️4.60 to 4.0.  2022➡️3.95 to 3.55. 2023➡️ From 3.50 to 3.25.  2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️May1=3.05✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

ChessieCat, since there are a number of types of magnesium which I’d the best?

• Moderator Emeritus

Did you read the magnesium topic?  The information is there.

I did, I’m still confused about absorption and which is more targeted towards anxiety. I have a magnesium I got from Dollar General before I started research and it’s 500 mg, guessing that’s way to much to start with. I’m leaning toward glycinate, I’m just a bit afraid of more withdrawals as I was good for about 10 days and now I seem to be going thru some of those same symptoms again! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Some members dissolve it in water and sip throughout the day.  The best type of magnesium is the one which works for you.  You might have to try a few different ones/doses until you find what helps.

I take magnesium citrate 1/2 tablet 2x a day.  1 tablet = 150mg magnesium

If you zoom in on this table, you’ll see that Dr. Crisafi ranks magnesium citrate as the most bioavailable form of magnesium, above the next form, magnesium glycinate, with magnesium malate coming in third.

From Table by Dr. Crisafi Comparing Bioavailability of Magnesium Forms

Source: Daniel J Crisafi, NDA, MH, PhD

From this website:   https://naturalcalm.ca/magnesium-carbonate-citrate-glycinate-whats-the-difference/

(Disclaimer:  website provided for information only, it is not support of the product)

Thanks so much!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TLF, 

Hope you find the magnesium that helps you best. Remember to start slowly and build up. Our bodies are very sensitive and we have to incorporate supplements slowly. 

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Thanks Carmie, I’ll for sure take it slow...not sure it’ll even work but I’m hopeful! I had a really good few days, then bam...started with the physical symptoms; stiff neck, headache, dizziness etc, and then...the anxiety, trying to fight the crying bouts and sadness, guess I’m hitting a wave. If only I’d known more before I started that evil drug. Hope you’re doing well...Happy New Year!

I’m trying to make sense of it all...AGAIN! I thought I was through the withdrawals, I felt great for about a week, now I’m down again. So exhausted constantly, feel like something is really wrong again. I’m not sleeping well, flu-like symptoms, and the dreams are back. Started magnesium, took 100mgs, Is it really still withdrawals? I was only on Paxil for 3 months, but only tapered a few days at best. Going to doc again tomorrow just so he can tell me I’m healthy just like he told me Paxil has no side effects and is a safe drug! Did I even post in the right spot? I’m so tired of not feelin like me! I’ll keep moving forward, just lookin for some reassurance again I guess! Thankful for this site! Seeing I’m not alone helps.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please read these before you see your doctor.  If you complain and become upset the most likely thing the doctor will do is tell you to go back on the drug (probably at a much higher dose than we would suggest - see reinstatement topic).  OR he will prescribe a different drug.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms    Post #1

BEFORE you take anything, please let us know and we can give you our opinion.  If you take too high a dose or start a new drug you might end up feeling worse that you do now.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had several good days, last night I started to get a few withdrawal feelings but I was overly tired which I’ve noticed does affect those symptoms. I started with that magnesium too...seems to really help!