RNS412: Discontinuing Pristiq

RNS412

Hi all,

I have been on Pristiq for a little over 2 years. I have always taken 25 mg, I know 50 mg is the minimum, but I had always cut mine in half as I had a very difficult time sleeping when I began taking. I am now trying to come off the Pristiq due to an unexpected pregnancy. I am already anxious about being 8 weeks, and having taken the medication this long. I have stopped cold turkey, and am unsure if I am suffering from feeling sick from the pregnancy, the withdrawal, or both? I do get the brain zaps, the shallow, odd dizzy feeling. I am extremely tired, but am hoping the gets all gets better. It is Monday evening, and I last took the medication Thursday morning. Does this get better? I can't taper from this, as I cannot take it while pregnant. I have to suffer through this, but certainly don't feel like myself. I don't feel depressed / anxious. I just feel sick, and so disturbed by brain zaps!

RNS,

How are you feeling? Have the withdrawal symptoms lessened in intensity?

Please let us know how you are doing.

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

• Administrator

Welcome, RNS.

There is no correct dosage, that's a myth. If you get bad effects from any psychiatric drug, the dosage and drug are not right for you.

I can understand why you want to get off Pristiq fairly quickly. Still, quitting 25mg cold turkey might be too fast for your nervous system. I suggest you go back on 12.5mg and see if that quells the withdrawal symptoms. If so, stay on it for 2 weeks, then 6.25 for 2 weeks, then off.

See Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

RNS, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.