Noclue: introducing myself

Noclue87

Hi I’m new to the site, I’m a 31yr old mum of a beautiful little boy and I’ve suffered terribly since I was 10yrs old with some phobias. I’ve some what managed it over the years but pretty much had a melt down in September 2018. I was on diazepam for a short time which caused problems of its own and am now taking phenergan, Promethazine not daily but often and have some questions and after advice 

Diazepam 63x2mg tablets between 15th Sept-23rd Nov 2018 not daily but weekly 

rescue doses: 2mg 28th Nov 2mg 3rd Dec

4mg 7th Dec. Phenergan (Promethazine) on and off since 28th Nov

• ChessieCat changed the title to Noclue: introducing myself
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Noclue87 and welcome to SA,

To get you started pease create a drug signature using the following format.  Keep it simple (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

What questions do you have?

I can see that you have already posted in this topic, but I'll post the link here for easy access: 

tips-for-tapering-promethazine-phenergan

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi chessiecat I think I’ve done a signature now but unsure where I can find it? I’m after some info on whether I need to taper the phenergan. Thank you 

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are posting from a phone you may not be able to see your drug signature.  I'll copy it here for you:

Q:  Do you know what dates you have taken it?

Q:  What dose do you take?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I’m unsure of all the dates I’ve taken the phenergan as stupidly didn’t realise the type of drug it was. I’ve only been noting the past week since I found out it could possibly cause problems. I just know I’ve taken it since 28th November on and off 

• Moderator Emeritus

So what are the dates that you know that you have taken it please?

The diazepam was between 15th sept and 23rd nov. The dates I do know are: 

3rd Jan 25mg

2nd Jan 25mg

1st Jan 25mg 

29th Dec 25mg

25th Dec 25mg

24th Dec 25mg

20th Dec 25mg phenergan 

4mg 7th Dec

2mg 3rd Dec

2mg 28th Nov 8pm

4mg 23rd Nov

2mg 18th Nov

6mg 16th Nov

8mg 13th Nov

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font

• Moderator Emeritus

Please be more clear when posting information about your drugs.  It's important that we know what drug and dose you are referring to so that nobody gets confused because it can result in errors being made.

I'm assuming that these are Diazepam because of the doses:

3 hours ago, Noclue87 said:

4mg 7th Dec

2mg 3rd Dec

2mg 28th Nov 8pm

4mg 23rd Nov

2mg 18th Nov

6mg 16th Nov

8mg 13th Nov

And I'm assuming that all of these are phenergan, again because of the dose:

3 hours ago, Noclue87 said:

3rd Jan 25mg

2nd Jan 25mg

1st Jan 25mg 

29th Dec 25mg

25th Dec 25mg

24th Dec 25mg

20th Dec 25mg phenergan 

• Moderator Emeritus

So assuming that I've interpreted your drug dosing correctly you've been taking Phenergan 25mg since 28th November 2018.  However you haven't been taking it every day, except for the last 3 days.

You may be all right stopping it without tapering, but because it does affect the brain (see below) it may be better to taper it.  You can probably dissolve the tablets in water.  This is just a suggestion:  Take the same dose every day.  You could try reducing by 25% and see how things go by keeping notes on paper.  Do that for 1 week.  If things are okay then reduce another 25%, rinse and repeat.  If you are concerned that 25% might be too big a reduction, you could do less.

how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules

From https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/promethazine_hydrochloride#section=Top

Promethazine Hydrochloride is the hydrochloride salt form of promethazine, a phenothiazine derivative with antihistaminic, sedative and antiemetic properties. Promethazine hydrochloride selectively blocks peripheral H1 receptors thereby diminishing the effects of histamine on effector cells. Promethazine hydrochloride also blocks the central histaminergic receptors, thereby depressing the reticular system causing sedative and hypnotic effects. In addition, promethazine hydrochloride also has centrally acting anticholinergic properties and probably mediates nausea and vomiting by acting on the medullary chemoreceptive trigger zone.

Hi yes that is correct in my doses

• Administrator

Welcome, Noclue.

Your last dose of diazepam was 4mg on Dec. 7?

What are the symptoms for which you are taking Phenargan or promethazine? What time of day do you take it? Phenargan dosing:

22 hours ago, Noclue87 said:

3rd Jan 25mg

2nd Jan 25mg

1st Jan 25mg 

29th Dec 25mg

25th Dec 25mg

24th Dec 25mg

20th Dec 25mg phenergan

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My last rescue dose of diazepam was 4mg on 7th December. I’m taking the phenergan for sleep. I have a severe phobia of gagging and vomiting 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Noclue87 said:

My last rescue dose of diazepam was 4mg on 7th December. I’m taking the phenergan for sleep. I have a severe phobia of gagging and vomiting 

Do you have any other symptoms since going off diazepam? How does phenergan help with your phobia? How does your phobia interfere with your daily life?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I see flashing lights sometimes when I close my eyes, severe anxiety and agoraphobia which I  never had before the two big panic attacks I had mid September or before the diazepam which is what was prescribed to me at a&e for these panic attacks. I’ve lost so much weight because I’ve zero appetite and obviously the no sleep. I gagged during these two panic attacks and since then I’ve always got the urge to gag in my throat, the diazepam would calm me and I wasn’t aware of the dangers until doctor would not give me anymore. I’m now scared every single moment of the day with this feeling which can be overwhelming 90% of the time. I can’t smile, talk, so exciting or scary things as it brings it on more. I don’t know what’s happening to me. My phobia has been somewhat managed over the years however I still suffered terribly but this is relentless and constant where as before the panic attacks I could at least get some respite 

• Administrator

You may have withdrawal syndrome from going off diazepam. Unrelenting anxiety and that gagging sensation can be a withdrawal symptom.

Can you sleep without promethazine? What is your sleep pattern when you don't take it?

After you take promethazine, how do you feel the next day?

It looks like you're taking it nightly now. Why is that?

• Moderator Emeritus
16 hours ago, Noclue87 said:

I see flashing lights sometimes when I close my eyes, severe anxiety and agoraphobia which I  never had before the two big panic attacks I had mid September or before the diazepam which is what was prescribed to me at a&e for these panic attacks.

Hi, Noclue.

Welcome to SA from me, too.

As Alto posted, it's possible you may be going through benzodiazepine withdrawal, even with periodic diazepam use. Diazepam has a half life of up to 200 hours (8 days), so if you're a slow metabolizer, you could have 50% of that dose in your bloodstream up to 8 days after you take it. 

So you may have developed a dependency in that short a time due to the long half life. 

Did you find out what the root cause for your panic attacks were? Did they start before you took diazepam? Had you ever taken a psychiatric drug prior to this? 

My panic attacks stemmed from my phobia of gagging vomiting. I find it very hard to take any medication even supplements, vitamins or basic pain killers. I attempted to start antidepressants and after one dose I worked myself into a blind panic almost crashing the car. Went to a&e and given diazepam, worked like magic! Contacted my own GP sand he happily gave me more whenever I asked. I stupidly assumed as he didn’t give me any warnings and would refill over the phone that there’d be no problem. I’m living in mental torment 24/7 because I feel I’m going to have to face this poxy fear any second now and start retching uncontrollably. I know it sounds silly to most but to me it’s very real and terrifying, I thrash around, claw my throat and even wet myself. I’ve heard horror stories of diazepam withdrawal and I CT because different doctor wouldn’t give anymore and was adamant I’d not experience withdrawal. I don’t eat or sleep because I’m terrified, I’m having the most insane thoughts. I’ve tried many therapies over the years and due to see a psychiatrist tomorrow but everyone wants me to take medication which started all this in the first place 

I don’t sleep if I don’t take it as I’m constantly scared and thinking about gagging vomiting. When I do take it I fall asleep within two hours but don’t sleep for long as my young son wakes multiple times during the night. Last night I had one hour. I feel a bit tired the next day and slight blurred vision 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/7/2019 at 7:57 AM, Noclue87 said:

My panic attacks stemmed from my phobia of gagging vomiting. I find it very hard to take any medication even supplements, vitamins or basic pain killers

Have you sought treatment with a therapist to deal with your phobia? A therapist (someone who cannot prescribe drugs) might be a good option right now, Noclue. 

I’ve tried a few therapies over the years just had another psychiatrist appointment. Need to see another one, his colleague and go from there. Feel like going in circles 

• Administrator

You need coaching to manage your phobias, Noclue.

Please answer

On 1/6/2019 at 12:25 PM, Altostrata said:

Can you sleep without promethazine? What is your sleep pattern when you don't take it?

After you take promethazine, how do you feel the next day?

It looks like you're taking it nightly now. Why is that?

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing Noclue?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg. 2020➡️5.60 to 4.80. 2021➡️4.60 to 4.0.  2022➡️3.95 to 3.55. 2023➡️ From 3.50 to 3.25.  2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️May1=3.05✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Hi thank you for taking the time to see how I am, that’s very kind of you. However I’m still not great, still don’t sleep so I still take Promethazine and I’m STILL terrified of dry heaving :( my marriage is a joke, I’m a terrible mother, my life has disappeared. The NHS mental health service is so slow and uneducated. Sorry for my rant, I’m just still struggling immensely 

• Moderator Emeritus

I’m sorry you’re struggling so much Noclue, 

As has been advised here in the past you may need some coaching to deal with your phobias. Have you seen a therapist that doesn’t prescribe drugs, as Shep and Alto have suggested? We aren’t counsellors or therapists here. 

Could you please answer these following questions that Alto asked. Thank you:

Can you sleep without the Promathezine? What is your sleep pattern when you don’t take it?

Why are you taking it nightly now?

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg. 2020➡️5.60 to 4.80. 2021➡️4.60 to 4.0.  2022➡️3.95 to 3.55. 2023➡️ From 3.50 to 3.25.  2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️May1=3.05✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Hi I’ve been back and forth to the doctor and mental health team since December and am due to start CBT for third time next week. 

I started takkng promethazine nightly mid December 2018 due to only taking it about three times a week and the nights I didn’t take it I didn’t sleep a wink, mind racing, too much going through my head. I have taken it pretty much every day since mid December and have gone a few days without it but haven’t slept in those days

thanks