rrandor: Roger - homeopath

rrandor

Hi, I am a homeopath and I follow psychiatric med issues which led me to this site. I have an interest in this area because for 14 years I was depressed and for 6 months I tried 4 or 5 different anti-depressants under a psychiatrist's supervision, none of which helped much. At times I felt like neurons were exploding. Decided it was not my way. Went back to self-treating with vitamins and supplements. I didnt know about homeopathy then. I would not recommend unsupervised self-treatment even with supplements now because there is so much information and so many well informed practitioners available now. I got into some trouble with it, but managed to pull myself out of the worst of the depression so that I could function. Then in 1984 I was introduced to Vipassana meditation (www.dhamma.org). During the fifth retreat the depression surfaced very strongly (as it had in all the previous retreats) and then lifted. I never had another day with depression. I remember the exact moment it lifted. I hope that I can encourage others to search for a non-drug way out of depression and other psych problems. I was introduced to homeopathy in 1990 and it is my preferred modality now along with practicing Vipassana meditation.

• Administrator

Welcome, Roger.

Which antidepressants were you on? How did you go off? Did you get withdrawal symptoms? How did you cope with them?

Good to hear you resolved your inner issues.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata, its been almost 40 years so I dont remember much about that six month period. I do remember walking in and talking with the psychiatrist for 10 min and walking out with a prescription feeling like it was all trial and error. I am pretty sure that I was given Elavil (Amitriptyline) & Welbutrin (Bupropion) but I dont remember the others. I didnt take any of them very long because either they didnt work or the side effects were not acceptable to me. Because I didnt take them long, coming off of them presented no problems.

Before going to the psychiatrist I had been using supplements to improve my general health. I suffered from candidiasis after being treated for acne with high dose tetracycline for several months at age 14. That is also when I started to develop depression, which I dont think was a coincidence. Candida can go to the brain. Now that is not acceptable medical practice, but conventional medicine frequently goes on fads and not Evidence Based Medicine, like they pretend.

After quitting psychiatric therapy my intuition told me that I needed high dose Vitamin B6. So I started taking that along with other supplements. That is what pulled me out of the worst of the depression so that I could function. I think everyone's system and situation are so unique, that I wouldnt advise anyone to follow my lead on taking Vit B6. That is why I like the individualization practiced in classical homeopathy.

• Administrator

Thanks for the information.

What we see is some things work for some people while they don't for others. We don't discourage or endorse homeopathy, people can try it if they want. We always appreciate addition of personal experiences to our Homeopathy topic. Our members can read it and decide for themselves if they want it. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

That is why I started posting on that thread, I saw that people were asking questions and responding, with very little experience or knowledge of homeopathy. The mainstream, such as Wikipedia, is dominated by people actively hostile to homeopathy who have very little knowledge or experience. They know one or two things about it and make a decision. They might only know that remedies are extremely diluted. Therefore it must be entirely placebo. EVERYONE, including myself and most people that I know, are skeptical about homeopathy when they first hear about it, as they should be!  It takes direct experience to get past that skepticism. Those who truly investigate discover its power.

• ChessieCat changed the title to rrandor: Roger - homeopath