Flaboy88: unsure of doc's suggestion

Flaboy88

Hey all, I'm new here. Hope everyone is fine :)

I have just recently started taking cymbalta (30mg for 2 weeks) and have had some adverse side effects. I went to see my doctor today and she told me to stop cold turkey, which from doing research on this and other forums is the worst thing I could do. I'm considering going to another psychiatrist to get a second opinion as it seems this doctor is not very familiar with cymbalta and it's withdraw symptoms. However could it be I'm on a low dose and for a short period of time as to why she gave this direction to me?? Please any knowledge or thoughts will help. Thanks x1000

Abilify 7mg

Cymbalta 30 mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Flaboy88: unsure of doc's suggestion
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome to SA.

You have only been taking it two weeks, a very short time, so it's very possible you could be one of the fortunate ones. 

Two important questions:

1. Do you have a history of taking any other psych meds? If so, please fill out a drug signature with this information: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/18343-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

2. What adverse effects are you having? 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

I also take abilify which I continue to take (7mg been on for 3 months). I was having severe tiredness and suicidal thoughts in the beginning from the cymbalta. (I don't think the doc understood these thoughts had gone away after the first 3 days of beginning the medication).

Abilify 7mg

Cymbalta 30 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

We need dates for all drugs taken -- please follow the format in the link I posted above.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Administrator

Welcome, flaboy.

30mg Cymbalta is an average dose, not a low dose. Are you saying now that you're fine with Cymbalta (plus Abilify)? In that case, in the future, please ask your doctor to clarify her instructions.

Or have you continued to have adverse reactions from Cymbalta?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi flaboy, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg. 2020➡️5.60 to 4.80. 2021➡️4.60 to 4.0.  2022➡️3.95 to 3.55. 2023➡️ From 3.50 to 3.25.  2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️May1=3.05✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.