guhoya: weaning off Klonopin

guhoya

I have been taking 0.5mg of Klonopin for about two years. Despite such a seemingly low dose, I'm totally hooked. The drug doesn't do anything positive for me, and in fact destroys my motivation. I'm sure that's every person's story here that has taken a benzo over time. I went to my doctor yesterday and she gave me authority to begin learning about and implementing micro-taper methods, including using syringes and liquid suspensions, to taper off this drug. I'm very fortunate to have such an understanding doctor. 

I'm thankful that I'm tapering from 0.5mg instead of 5mg daily, but it's still going to be a long road, and I'm here to get any help I can. I'm willing to spend the next two years tapering off this drug. 

I also take 40mg of Latuda and 200mg of Lamictal. I have no interest in tapering off these drugs. 

I posted on BenzoBuddies too, so I'm excited to learn about the measures for tapering used in these sites! If there's even two people who have successfully tapered off Klonopin, no matter how many years it took, I'd fall down and worship!

I have taken 19 different psychiatric drugs since 2011. I cannot list them all unfortunately.

2011 - 2017: Abilify, Geodon, Seroquel, Risperdal, Cogentin, and more, at various times.

In the last 24 months:

Latuda 20mg: January 2018 to December 2018. Following hospitalization, raised to 60mg and then lowered to 40mg due to side effects.

Lamictal 100mg: January 2018 to November 2018. Raised gradually to 200mg, my current dose. 

Klonopin: 0.5mg daily from February 2017 to Present

• ChessieCat changed the title to guhoya: weaning off Klonopin
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Guhyoa. 

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

On 2/22/2019 at 1:08 PM, guhoya said:

I also take 40mg of Latuda and 200mg of Lamictal. I have no interest in tapering off these drugs. 

Was Klonopin prescribed before or after you were on these other drugs? In other words, is the Klonopin to help with any side effects of these other drugs?

On 2/22/2019 at 1:08 PM, guhoya said:

I posted on BenzoBuddies too, so I'm excited to learn about the measures for tapering used in these sites! If there's even two people who have successfully tapered off Klonopin, no matter how many years it took, I'd fall down and worship!

I came off Klonopin, Sonata, Halcion, Seroquel, Dexetrine, and Viibryd, so I know it's possible. And I'm feeling so much better. There's no medical reason for anyone to be on these drugs. 

I would highly encourage you to research the Latuda and Lamictal before deciding you only want to come off the Klonopin. Latuda (and all antipsychotics) are linked to a shortened life expectancy. The outcomes for people who take antipsychotics are by far worse than for those who don't. 

Interpreting Harrow’s 20-Year Results: Are the Drugs to Blame?

It's likely that your decreased motivation isn't just linked to the Klonopin. Although benzos can definitely cause this, so can antipsychotics - they decrease dopamine which is needed for motivation. 

There's a great book that comes highly recommended:

Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker

A short book trailer: 

Robert Whitaker, author Anatomy of an Epidemic video (11 minutes)

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can help you set up a taper. 

Hi Shep,

Thank you for your kind post. I am aware of Mr. Whitaker's book, and read much of his initial book, "Mad in America". His books are devastating to read from the POV of a person taking medications. Even his research indicates there is a time in which so much damage can be done to the brain through antipsychotics that there is no guarantee that the brain will "regenerate" itself to function without them. 

I am aware that this is generally a forum opposed to psychiatric drugs in most cases and in an ideal world, I would be right with you. Unfortunately, I deal with real symptoms that are really not addressed except through psychotropic drugs. I am of course open to what the future holds. In fact, I am aware that the longer I take these drugs, the worse I am going to become and the less likely I will live to a happy old age. But we have to remember that untreated mental illness kills even faster than the psychotropic drugs. We don't have a solid solution to the problem yet, but drugs have helped some people gain their lives back. I won't lecture, and I am absolutely sympathetic to your point of view and Mr. Whitaker's. I'm just not sure if or how coming off all of my drugs, even through a multi year responsible tapering process, will benefit me, since I have symptoms that are real and are not made up in my head. Latuda is designed in such a way that I experience dramatic, absolutely soul crushing darkness and suicidal ideation whenever I even reduce the dose. I think these drugs are manufactured to make you an addict.

Anyway, I will look into the forums, and thank you for your help!

I have taken 19 different psychiatric drugs since 2011. I cannot list them all unfortunately.

2011 - 2017: Abilify, Geodon, Seroquel, Risperdal, Cogentin, and more, at various times.

In the last 24 months:

Latuda 20mg: January 2018 to December 2018. Following hospitalization, raised to 60mg and then lowered to 40mg due to side effects.

Lamictal 100mg: January 2018 to November 2018. Raised gradually to 200mg, my current dose. 

Klonopin: 0.5mg daily from February 2017 to Present

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, guhoya said:

Latuda is designed in such a way that I experience dramatic, absolutely soul crushing darkness and suicidal ideation whenever I even reduce the dose. I think these drugs are manufactured to make you an addict.

You are correct about that - they are designed that way. I'm sorry you're on this difficult cocktail of drugs, but I hope we can at least help you to reduce your overall drug burden by coming off the benzo. 

Questions -

• when you reduced the Latuda in the past, were you also making changes to the other drugs?
  • how fast did you taper the Latuda?
  • will you be able to sleep if the Klonopin is removed? 

Your difficulties with Latuda reduction may have been from a too-fast taper. Any psych drug can trip suicidal thoughts if you come off too quickly (which is faster than 10% a month at most, many people find they need to go much slower). 

Please start a new thread for yourself in the members-only benzo forum.

Benzo tapering and recovery

If at some point, you wish to address the other drugs, we can certainly address any questions and concerns then.

Your benzo thread will be for documenting your benzo taper and your thread here in the main forum will be for questions about your other drugs, as well as for general support (the main intro thread gets a lot more traffic).