entcian24's Sister: she wants to taper divalproex / Depakote

entcian24

Hi, 

I'm new to SA & yet to write an introduction about me. Having been reading a lot about tapering meds since past few days. 

I'll quickly get onto the point & ask about tapering Divalproex sodium er 500mg, which my younger sister has been taking for about 2 yrs. 

I've read a lot of threads concerning Divalproex, which suggest that these tablets are ER so cannot be dissolved in water, or cut down! Plus, I stay in Mumbai,India where I'm not able to find depakote sprinkles that I can measure & taper to about 10% of the current 500mg.

Meanwhile, I have an idea to taper which is slightly awkward & new:

I intend to taper the current weekly dosage of 3500mg(500mg×7), by having a 375mg(Divalproex sodium 125mg available here) day on Wednesday! 

This way I only taper by 3.57% (125 mg taper for the entire week) for about 4 weeks...& then gradually have a 375mg Saturdays as well (taper by 7.14%, tapering 250 mg weekly)  & so on..

I know, this method is entirely non- uniform on daily basis, but I should give it a try since me & my sister sincerely want to reduce her dependence & associated effects of the medicine.

Would love to listen to others views on this & if a similar thing has been tried by anyone on SA.

Thanks 🙂

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

--Started Antidepressants

-02/2016-06/2018: nortriptyline 25mg. more energy to keep up with life. Sx: constipation, weight gain, disconnect

-06/2018-12/2019:-!!Change in meds!! lorazepam 1mg, (clonazepam 0.5mg +escitalopram 5mg). Better sleep but back, shoulder, neck, leg aches. Tiredness increased. Weight loss-lose exactly those 9kgs in 5-6 months. Anger,irritation intensity reduces. Constipation changes to frequent diarrhea, upset stomach 

-01/2019-02-2019: (clonazepam 0.5mg +escitalopram 5mg): Increased urine output. sx gone in 3 weeks.

-*tapeing*02/2019-05/2019: (clonazepam 0.5mg +escitalopram 4.6mg): lesser fluid retention, increased body, leg ache for 3 weeks.

-05/2019-07/2019: (clonazepam 0.5mg +escitalopram 4.2mg): more intense body aches for 4 weeks, strange dreams

-07/2019-08/2019: (clonazepam 0.5mg +escitalopram 4mg): body aches at first. Twitches, face zaps begin. Restlessness

-09/2019-12-2019: (clonazepam 0.5mg +escitalopram 3.7mg): intense shoulder, back pain. ugly diarhoea, indigestion. for 1 week.

-01/20-05/20: (clonazepam 0.5mg +escitalopram 3.4mg) increased tiredness. Test for Gluten intolerance: report tolerant. SIBO & IBS: Detected. PPI course for 4 weeks completed. Digestion slightly improves.

-05/20-11/20: (escitalopram 3.2mg): !!Change in medication!! Switch to pure escitalopram from esc+clonazepam.sadness, hopeless

-11/01/20-11/25/20: escitalopram 3mg(ALL LiQUID): Inflammation in legs,knees. irritation, anger, rage, unable to car-drive decently!!

-11/26/2020- current: escitalopram 3.2mg : Revert back to liquid + pill combo (2.5mg cut-pill+ 0.7 liquid)

• ChessieCat changed the title to entcian24: sister wants to taper divalproex / Depakote
  • Administrator

Welcome, entcian.

Are you and your sister both taking Divalproex? Do you control your sister's drugs? Is she capable of understanding tapering? It's difficult for us to assist a third party, as we need to know the effects of various dosages and symptom patterns.

Here are general principles of tapering for you and your sister Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off sodium valproate and valproic acid (divalproex sodium, Depakote, Depakene)

If you're tapering 500mg per day, the first step in a 10% taper would be to reduce by 50mg, to 450mg. We advise taking the 450mg dosage for a month, to monitor how well your nervous system adapts to the reduction.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to entcian24's Sister: she wants to taper divalproex / Depakote