Eddy: amitriptyline causing tinnitus

Eddy

amitriptyline causing tinnitus

I was on Amitriptyline for 2 weeks - 5 MG in the Month of Jan 2019

Later i stopped it.

Again in the Month of Feb 6th 2019 - I took Amitriptyline for 2 weeks 10 MG.

Its been one week am off the medicine. Am constantly having ringing sound in my ear, will this take sometime to go away. 

On Oct 2018

Amitriptyline from Oct 16th ( 10 Days )

5 MG 

I have taken Amitriptyline from 31st Dec ( 2 weeks )  - STOPPED IT

5 MG

On Feb 6th - I just took one aceflam p. Am not sure after this my Ringing started or not. 

I have taken Amitriptyline ( Amicon - 10 )  from 6th Feb ( 2 Weeks )  - STOPPED IT

5 MG for 1st Week

10 MG for 2nd Week  - In Total 4 Weeks + 10 Days = 1 Month and 3 Days

Am unable to attached my prescriptions, can you give me an email, i can send please

• ChessieCat changed the title to Eddy: amitriptyline causing tinnitus
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Eddy,

Welcome to SA, and please know that I'm working on a personalized response to your inquiry, so please don't worry if you haven't gotten a reply yet.  I'll have one for you shortly!

Best,
Wiggle

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello again Eddy!

Thank you for your patience while I worked on a personal reply to you.  Yes, unfortunately, tinnitus is all too common with psych meds.  Of all the symptoms I've seen people discuss on SA, tinnitus is absolutely one of the most common.  When it comes to psych meds, the tinnitus can happen as an adverse reaction when someone is on the med, or it can happen when someone is going through withdrawal (WD) off of the medication.

Yes, it can take some time to go away, but it can go away.  We have members for whom tinnitus has improved and members for whom tinnitus has recovered completely.

May I ask if those two rounds of amitriptyline are the only meds you've taken?  Or are you taking/have taken anything else?  It would help if you could give us a medication history, listed as a medication signature, so we can see if anything else might be contributing to the tinnitus that was triggered.

Here's how to fill out a medication signature on this site:

a.) Look at the top right of the page where your name appears

b.) Click on your name and you'll see a pull-down menu appear

c.) Under that menu, click on Account Settings    

d.) You'll get taken to a new page.  Look at the left side of that page

e.) Click on Signature

f.) Fill out a short list of your medication history and dates you took the meds in the box that pops up.  (For example, you can just write Sertraline 60 mgs from July 2016 to Sept 2018.)  

g.) Click Save and then you can go back to the rest of the site

In addition to the concise medication signature, you can use this thread that you started as a place to let us know any other details or questions that might be pertinent to your situation.

Welcome to SA!

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again Eddy,

Can you type the information about your other prescriptions into your medication signature?  It is okay if you just type them as a list with the name of the med, the dates taken, and the dosage.  You don't have to email them as attachments.  Let me know if you have trouble adding them to your signature.

Edited by WiggleIt
Added a sentence about med sig