NewGram777 is Tired of Muscle Spasms/Cramps!

NewGram777

Hi, 

NewGram777 here.  I began my antidepressant journey around 18 years ago.  I started with Zoloft for two years then switched to Wellbutrin.  I have taken it in different dosages for over 16 years.  I began tapering 8 weeks ago and took my last dose 4 weeks ago.  I really felt in my heart that it was time to stop.  I feel it was no longer working and that I was dealing with side effects that I assumed were from "aging."  I have had leg spasms for years, muscle cramps and aching in my legs for years.  I just got "use" to it, but it got worse in this last year.  The last two pills I took (150 mg, SR name brand) seem to coincide with horrible cramps throughout the night.  I have had a complete blood workup with no issues at all.  My legs ache horribly and cramps are occuring.  I have started magnesium malate/glycinate with potassium and other vitamins with doctor's supervision, as well as Keto to rid the toxins from my system.  Today I made an appointment with a doctor who specializes in "aging";)  I have one hip replacement so you can see the assumptions.  Otherwise I feel very well!  So, wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if so how long did it last?  I have read it could be 8 weeks to 3 months with the length of time I have been on it.  Give me hope new friends, give me hope!!  Thanks so much!!

• Administrator

Welcome, NewGram.

When you go off psychiatric drugs, your nervous system can become hypersensitive to a lot of things, including misalignment and bad posture habits that you might otherwise "get used to." In addition, muscle tension, muscle spasms, and leg cramps are  common withdrawal symptoms.

See

Do you do a lot of sitting? Getting more exercise can help a lot, particularly leg stretches. You may wish to start off very gently, but stretch your legs often during the day. If you can, get a referral to a physical therapist to learn how to stretch and strengthen your legs.

At least a half-hour a day of gentle exercise, such as walking, will help you recover.

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Magnesium can indeed help relieve muscle tension and pain. It's more effective taken in small amounts throughout the day. You can also rub magnesium oil on your legs or take Epsom salts baths.

How's your sleep? Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Oh wow!  Thank you so much for your reply. Thankfully I have incorporated all that you mentioned into my daily life.  I felt my body was dealing with "toxins" and learned that these were mostly stored in fatty tissue.  After my last pill it seemed like I put on seven pounds immediately and felt really bloated.  I feel that the Keto is helping me "detox" so to speak.  I have always walked at least 30 minutes a day and rode a stationary bike.  Although it has been quite the effort, I have continued to do so, usually 8,000-10,000 steps a day.  My part time job allows me to sit and stand as I choose.  I have had to change positions often. I have continued to do my post hip surgery exercises and yoga for three years now.   I am taking 120mg of Magnesium Glycinate/Malate in the morning along with Vitamin D 3, B12, Brevail, Elderberry and Zyrtec, one Symbicort puff morning.  All I have taken for years with the exception of the magnesium.  I had to experiment and study about the correct kind and dosage but feel good about it.  I also drink apple cider vinegar each morning. I have taken "dead sea salt" baths the last two nights, which seems to have helped. I take omega 3's at dinner and potassium, magnesium glycinate, biotin, elderberry and singular for asthma at night. I am sleeping better if I am not startled awake by a Charlie horse. ;)  I have used magnesium lotion for several years. So amazingly I feel a little better today.  I tell myself this is temporary..and I will make it!  Thanks for your encouragement and information. I have high hopes.

• Administrator

I would not go overboard on any detoxification regimes.

Magnesium is best taken in small doses throughout the day. Highly recommend exercises to stretch legs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for your reply.  I will continue to keep going as is under my doctor's supervision.  Your insight it appreciated.