Vaccines, Depression and Neurodegeneration After Age 50

Jemima

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's an interesting article by Dr. Jim Mercola regarding the depressive effects of vaccines, especially on older people:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/pages/vaccines-depression-and-neurodegeneration-after-age-50.aspx

I've been putting off getting the shingles vaccine because of withdrawal. Now I'm not so sure about getting it at all, especially since the vaccine is made by (shudder) Merck.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Shingles scares me but vaccines scare me more -

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't understand how doctors can go on blindly prescribing vaccines and other harmful drugs and live with themselves. My doctor gave me a pneumonia shot a few years ago and I've had it twice since then. To be fair, the second time was likely from bleeding caused by a combination of Pristiq and a lot of aspirin, but the vaccine didn't stop me from catching pneumonia from a coworker who came in sick and infected several people.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I think they honestly don't know what the truth is because they believe what they read in 'reputable' journals that are very skewed due to pharma advertising and control of what is published - there is so much ego wrapped up that most docs would not look at Mercola or patient sites like this - they are vested in the delusion that the FDA and DEA are truly overseeing and protecting the patients - they do continuing education and attend conferences but those are also pharma sponsored -

I'm in no way defending them but I see it firsthand every day- my husband is slowly grasping the extent of the deception and it blows his life's work and belief system outa the water -

And he's in the throes of w/d and won't admit it - I may need to get out of the house b/c the tension is mounting with anger outbursts -

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

I think they honestly don't know what the truth is because they believe what they read in 'reputable' journals that are very skewed due to pharma advertising and control of what is published - there is so much ego wrapped up that most docs would not look at Mercola or patient sites like this - they are vested in the delusion that the FDA and DEA are truly overseeing and protecting the patients -

Good points. My doctor got really flustered when she realized that Lipitor, which she had prescribed, had caused me quite a lot of harm. I hope it shook her up enough to make her take a good look at what she's doing.

I am to tired to read the article right now but will when I feel better.

But after seeing what my mother went through with Shingles when she was alive, I would be quite reluctant not to get the vaccine.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I've heard it's extremely painful - I'm sorry CS

I will have to read more but can't take anymore in right now -

• Administrator

From the article:

Previously, it was thought that major depression was secondary to a deficiency in certain neurotransmitters in the brain, particularly the monoamines, which include serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. While alterations in these important mood-related neurotransmitters is found with major depression [UNTRUE], growing evidence indicates that the primary culprit is low-grade, chronic brain inflammation[UNTRUE].

Researchers have also discovered that most people with major depressive disease (MDD) have higher levels of the neurotransmitter glutamate in their spinal fluid (CSF) and blood plasma[UNTRUE]....

For quite some time it was known that depression could cause a loss of neurons in the hippocampus of the brain[UNTRUE]-the area most important for recent memory (declarative memory or working memory), the form of memory most affected in Alzheimer‘s disease.

This shrinkage of the brain usually occurred with long-term depression[UNTRUE], yet it was shown, using sophisticated testing, that even without brain shrinkage, memory could be adversely affected[UNTRUE]. Some antidepressants could not only reverse the memory loss but could reverse the shrinkage as well[UNTRUE]....

All of this is untrue.

I do not think this article is at all credible. The author is not Dr. Mercola, but Russell L. Blaylock, M.D., CCN. Apparently, to scare people about vaccines, Dr. Blaylock has embraced the most questionable and alarmist psychiatry theories. (Dr. Mercola should be chastised for running this garbage on his site.)

As for the shingles vaccine, I had it a couple of years ago when my withdrawal symptoms were quite severe. As far as I can tell, it had no adverse effect. Shingles is such a horrible condition, and would be so unbearable for someone who is already neurologically hypersensitive -- plus, I probably would be unable to take many of the medications used to ameliorate symptoms -- I decided it was worth paying out of pocket for the vaccine myself.

It's up to you whether you want to take the very small risk posed by any vaccine.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Does having had Chicken pox make one more susceptible to getting shingles? I used to know this...in an earlier life... :huh:

• Moderator Emeritus

I do not think this article is at all credible. The author is not Dr. Mercola, but Russell L. Blaylock, M.D., CCN. Apparently, to scare people about vaccines, Dr. Blaylock has embraced the most questionable and alarmist psychiatry theories. (Dr. Mercola should be chastised for running this garbage on his site.)

As for the shingles vaccine, I had it a couple of years ago when my withdrawal symptoms were quite severe. As far as I can tell, it had no adverse effect. Shingles is such a horrible condition, and would be so unbearable for someone who is already neurologically hypersensitive -- plus, I probably would be unable to take many of the medications used to ameliorate symptoms -- I decided it was worth paying out of pocket for the vaccine myself.

It's up to you whether you want to take the very small risk posed by any vaccine.

Thanks for the heads-up, Alto.

• Administrator

Jemima, references to these are red flags:

- "Chemical imbalance" theory of depression

- "Brain inflammation" theory of depression

- Measuring glutamate in the nervous system (it's perhaps the most common neurotransmitter)

- Depression causing brain shrinkage or a loss of neurons anywhere in the brain

- Antidepressants reverse brain shrinkage caused by depression

- Mood disorders are caused by "diseased brain circuits"

There is no evidence or highly questionable evidence for all of the above.

Barbara, if you have had chicken pox, you are at risk for shingles.

Government info about the vaccine: http://www.vaccines.gov/diseases/shingles/index.html

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm now embarrased that I posted this. If you want to delete the entire topic, Alto, that's fine with me. I skimmed the article and was misled by the sciencey-ness of it.

I've also had chicken pox, so I'll be digging that prescription out of my files and getting a shot very soon. I'm fortunate that my health insurance covers it - it's quite expensive.

Jemima -

Ive done the same and know how you feel but it's good to know the info that's out there and MDs are reading - CI theory is debunked and now a new theory is being carved out for the next round of wonder drugs -

• Administrator

No problem, Jemima. Sciencey-ness is the way they get away with a lot of misinformation.

The reason why I was put on Effexor was because of a Hep A shot that I received and no doctor knew how to treat my symptoms.

A month after the shot I developed daily headaches (I was NEVER a headache sufferer), insomnia and major anxiety. I now KNOW I was

poisoned by that shot but at the time you are so exhausted from going to a million doctors trying to figure out what is wrong with you.

After much resistance and shear exhaustion, I finally caved in and took the dreaded drug and it has been a nightmare ever since.

I did a urine test which confirmed that I have high levels of lead and mercury. I have started chelating them out and I believe I am

feeling better as a result. I am now on 35mg of Pristiq and the weaning is going well so far.

Rosie

2009 Efexor 75mg tapered twice

November 2011 Pristiq 50 mg

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Currently on 30 mg of compounded Pristiq

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy