WilliamAtheling: Off ADs for first time in thirty years

WilliamAtheling

9 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I'd cut it in half to 2.5mg per day.

Does my initial reaction convince you that (mg pitched too high? Also only have pill cutters, and wife sceptical about liquefying. Are there other methods?

Thanks

• 6 June 2006 Citalopram
  • 31 July 06 onwards-Cymbalta
  • 19 April 07-Prozac
  • 10 May-Sertraline
  • June 07 Citalopram
  • May 08 Venlafaxine (until 2018)
  • 14 Sept 10 Lyrica 50mg twice daily
  • 22 Sept 11 Mirtazapine 30mg with venlafaxine
  • 2017 reduced Mirtazapine to 15mg?
  • 5 May 2017-came off Mirtazapine, but still on Venlafaxine
  • Oct  18- tapered off venlafaxine and replaced with amitriptyline 25, 50, 75, 100, 75, 50, 25, 0)
  • 10 Sept came off amitriptyline
  • 31 Oct reinstate 5mg amitriptyline
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WilliamAtheling

• Altostrata

• Sassenach

• Rhiannon

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

The only source I have for whether 5mg seems to be helping or not is you. You need to decide if you feel better or worse since before you took it.

We've already covered the issue of splitting the tablet or making a liquid. You can pay for a compounding pharmacy to do this for you. Again, your decision.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

11 hours ago, Altostrata said:

The only source I have for whether 5mg seems to be helping or not is you. You need to decide if you feel better or worse since before you took it.

We've already covered the issue of splitting the tablet or making a liquid. You can pay for a compounding pharmacy to do this for you. Again, your decision.

Noted. Would not say I was noticeably better since reinstatement, but willing to give it longer if that’s what it takes. Re 2.5mg- will see what pharmacy can do. I don’t think pill cutter I have will cut half of a half accurately or consistently.

Thanks

• 6 June 2006 Citalopram
  • 19 April 07-Prozac
  • 10 May-Sertraline
  • June 07 Citalopram
  • Oct  18- tapered off venlafaxine and replaced with amitriptyline 25, 50, 75, 100, 75, 50, 25, 0)

Hi again

Forgot to add. Feel v stressed, confused. Can also point to a v specific change.

BP- gone up to 150/96. (There is a history of this, which is covered in previous posts)

Thanks

• 6 June 2006 Citalopram
  • 19 April 07-Prozac
  • 10 May-Sertraline
  • June 07 Citalopram

Hi again

I “know” I feel v unwell on 5mg amitriptyline. (Dizzy, confusion, mental anguish, v bad shakes etc) 

What I don’t “know” is whether one week is too soon to be doing something about it, either increasing or decreasing?

Thanks

• 6 June 2006 Citalopram
  • 19 April 07-Prozac
  • 10 May-Sertraline
  • June 07 Citalopram
  • Administrator

You have to decide whether you feel better or worse since before taking 5mg amitriptyline. You've been on it for a week. How do you feel different since October 30?

If you don't feel any different, you might try 5mg for another week. If you feel better, stay on 5mg. If you feel worse, I'd reduce to 2.5mg. You're making an unnecessarily complex ritual of cutting a 5mg tablet in half.

You can be indecisive if you want, but this does not bear further discussion.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

You have to decide whether you feel better or worse since before taking 5mg amitriptyline. You've been on it for a week. How do you feel different since October 30?

If you don't feel any different, you might try 5mg for another week. If you feel better, stay on 5mg. If you feel worse, I'd reduce to 2.5mg. You're making an unnecessarily complex ritual of cutting a 5mg tablet in half.

You can be indecisive if you want, but this does not bear further discussion.

Hi

i said v unwell, so hard to differentiate between better or worse v unwell. Apart from some remission of the agonising nerve pain, the other physical symptoms are just as bad, as is the awful mental anguish, confusion. Difficult to weigh up really. God knows how other folk do it. Sorry if this is indecisive.

Think I’ll give it another week.

My only complex ritual is that the mg is, itself, cut in half. Would just disintegrate with my pill cutter.

• 6 June 2006 Citalopram
  • 19 April 07-Prozac
  • 10 May-Sertraline
  • June 07 Citalopram
  • Administrator

Talk with your pharmacist https://www.drugs.com/uk/amitriptyline-hydrochloride-10mg-5ml-oral-solution-leaflet.html

You must read the links we give you.

4 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Talk with your pharmacist https://www.drugs.com/uk/amitriptyline-hydrochloride-10mg-5ml-oral-solution-leaflet.html

You must read the links we give you.

Not quite the same as “cutting 5mg pill in half” is it?

• 6 June 2006 Citalopram
  • 19 April 07-Prozac
  • 10 May-Sertraline
  • June 07 Citalopram
  • Moderator Emeritus

Can you get a 5 mg tablet? It's my impression you've been okay with cutting the 10 mg in half, so cutting a 5 mg in half might also work.

I don't recall, does your tablet dissolve in water? If so you can easily do a water suspension and measure out any dose you want.

Also something I tried early on when I was dry tapering, using a scale, I would use a file to file off the excess off my tablet to get down to the dose I wanted. That might work. You could cut the 10 mg in half and then remove the excess from that half to get down to a lower amount.

But if you can get a 5 mg and cut that in half, or get a liquid formulation, that would probably be easier.

Assuming you want to try a 2.5 mg dose that is. It's up to you. I wish there were an easy answer, I wish it were possible to just tell you what to do and know that it would work perfectly. I'm sorry for your suffering.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator
On 10/24/2019 at 2:49 PM, Altostrata said:

This topic explains how to take a small dose Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

William, please do not waste our time further with discussing how you might take a dose smaller than 5mg. It's your decision and you have to take the responsibility yourself to make it happen.

4 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

William, please do not waste our time further with discussing how you might take a dose smaller than 5mg. It's your decision and you have to take the responsibility yourself to make it happen.

I’m 60 and don’t need or deserved to be publicly chastised like this. You accused me of bring sarcastic and sceptical because I simply quoted conventional wisdom on C Rocketfuel. You then adopt a v patronising tone. I’ve no idea what Ice dove to upset you, everyone else has been v welcoming. 

I also provided v detailed responses to difficult questions. 

Please feel Fred to cut me off, now that I’ve started a process you recommended.

• 6 June 2006 Citalopram
  • 19 April 07-Prozac
  • 10 May-Sertraline
  • June 07 Citalopram
13 hours ago, Rhiannon said:

Can you get a 5 mg tablet? It's my impression you've been okay with cutting the 10 mg in half, so cutting a 5 mg in half might also work.

I don't recall, does your tablet dissolve in water? If so you can easily do a water suspension and measure out any dose you want.

Also something I tried early on when I was dry tapering, using a scale, I would use a file to file off the excess off my tablet to get down to the dose I wanted. That might work. You could cut the 10 mg in half and then remove the excess from that half to get down to a lower amount.

But if you can get a 5 mg and cut that in half, or get a liquid formulation, that would probably be easier.

Assuming you want to try a 2.5 mg dose that is. It's up to you. I wish there were an easy answer, I wish it were possible to just tell you what to do and know that it would work perfectly. I'm sorry for your suffering.

Hi R

1. 10mg is the smallest dose.

2. Will experiment with liquid suspension.

Really appreciate your concern and empathetic attitude 

Thanks

• 6 June 2006 Citalopram
  • 19 April 07-Prozac
  • 10 May-Sertraline
  • June 07 Citalopram
  • Administrator

Please be aware that we're all volunteers here and responding to demands here for hand-holding takes us away from what might be called real life, if we had any.

The process has been described many times to you. You need to take responsibility for your decisions and actions.

I hope you will understand if I do not answer your questions further.

35 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Please be aware that we're all volunteers here and responding to demands here for hand-holding takes us away from what might be called real life, if we had any.

The process has been described many times to you. You need to take responsibility for your decisions and actions.

I hope you will understand if I do not answer your questions further.

You couldn’t resist throwing your weight around again could you. Why on earth did it take you so long. Your attitude can hardly be described as empathetic. 

Congratulations. I feel awful following your recommendations. You don’t have to issue any future warnings or ban me.

Goodbye. 

(Thanks Sassensch and Rhiannon for all your advice. Shame to both don’t have more sway here)

• 6 June 2006 Citalopram
  • 19 April 07-Prozac
  • 10 May-Sertraline
  • June 07 Citalopram
  • ChessieCat changed the title to WilliamAtheling: Off ADs for first time in thirty years
  • Altostrata locked this topic