DMS66: Lexapro VS. Me

DMS66

I had been taking lexapro 10mg for a year and a half - I noticed that I gained a significant amount of weight in this time. My appetite was crazy and my hunger pains were REAL! Last summer I tried to switch to Welbutrin (?) and I had an “outer-body” like experience so I quickly went back to lexapro..side note i switched because I had zero sex drive. So now fast forward to current day I started to taper off lexapro because I wanted to give myself a shot at no medication. I take Xanax every night to “quiet my mind” and occasionally during the day when I feel like my heart is beating out of my chest. I have a 4 year old who needs me to be the best version of myself but I just feel like anything but that. Two weeks ago I was taking a half pill every day, last week it reduced to a half of pill every other day...and now this week it’s day 3 with nothing. I’m experiencing major fatigue, light headed at times — where my equilibrium is off, fits of anger, zero patiences, and just very “blah” for lack of better words. I need some guidance somebody to cheer me on, I don’t know...Just feeling really crummy :(

Edited by Shep
added username to title
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, DMS66.

You are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from tapering too fast.  We recommend tapering no faster than 10% of current dose every four weeks. We strongly discourage skipping doses.  It causes the amount of the medication in your bloodstream to go up and down, battering your nervous system, and makes withdrawal worse.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Reinstatement of a very small dose of your original drug is the only known way to mitigate withdrawal symptoms.  The alternative is to wait it out.  While some recover fairly quickly, others take months or longer.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

If you decide to reinstate, I suggest reinstating 1mg of Lexapro.  If you take too much, it can result in further destabilization.

This link explains how to obtain the small doses of Lexapro you'll need for reinstatement.

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  Again, welcome.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

Welcome, DMS.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:47 PM, DMS66 said:

I take Xanax every night to “quiet my mind” and occasionally during the day when I feel like my heart is beating out of my chest.

How long have you been taking Xanax? Why did you start it? How often have you taken it in the last 2 weeks?

What times of day do you take your drugs, with their dosages? How's your sleep?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have been taking Xanax for a year and a half. I started taking it because my anxiety was making me feel like i was having a heart attack at night - the last two weeks I have been taking it pretty much one during the day (sometimes I don’t - depends on the mood I’m in / situational) and every single night at around 8pm. I’m on day 4 now of no lexapro (from tapering starting 3 weeks ago) and I feel like I have vertigo. I get jolts of pulsating in my

brain and tonight I started to feel a tingle down my arms into my hands. My sleep is horrible. Its been about a week of not sleeping consecutively through the night. I hate this feeling. 

Hi DMS66

Welcome to SA I’m so sorry you’re in the thick of withdrawal. Everyone here knows how horrible withdrawal can be. You’re in the right place for support. The collective wealth of moderator knowledge here, is far,  far greater than any individual GP or Psychiatrist could possibly hold. 

I want to share my early mistakes, so others may learn from them. It helps me through my suffering somehow.

I was in such neurological mess when I found SA, that I found it challenging to work through the moderators links, questions and advice. By the time I’d worked through it, for me it was too late to reinstate safely and I couldn’t take the risk. 

Please breathe, read through their support carefully, get help to read through it if need be and then make your decisions ultimately they will always be your decision, moderators will only advise. 

Hang on in there DSM66 help is here.

Apparently everyone gets better it’s just a matter of time.

Take care Kx

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

Yesterday I found myself in complete hysterics. I was getting intense pulsations to my brain, my heart was literally beating out of my chest, blurred vision, tingles running down my arms and into my hands. It was too much for me. I thought I was ready to get off my medication, but I’m just not sure that is the case anymore. I almost feel like a failure. Here i am at 33 with a child and I can’t get out of this quicksand. I was so on edge and angry and sad these past few weeks during my (what I thought was the proper way) to taper. I finally wound up in my GP Dr’s office — she assured me that on medication or off I’m still strong and that the only person stigmatizing myself was in fact myself. So with that I went home took a dose of 10mg lexapro & a Xanax to go to sleep..I woke up this morning took another Lexapro 10mg and I’ve been feeling much more at ease. All day I haven’t had one bit of brain zaps, tingles or felt like I needed a Xanax. I didn’t get agitated either. I hate to think it’s “all in my head” because the feeling was REAL and my body’s response now is real. I just don’t want to feel this guilt I’m having for taking my medication again. I also feel as though I’m in a rut and need something - a vitamin recommendation that will give me the energy I desperately need. I appreciate you all taking the time to read and respond, this website is a blessing and so are you.❤️

Hi DM,

Firstly taking the medication again sounds like it will stabilise you.  Don’t feel guilty it’s not only a very strong decision but also an educated one. I so wish I had reinstated.

Once you stabilise and you become level headed, you will be able to  approach tapering with the support of this team. The main goal with a slow taper is to come off these scandalous drugs with the minimum of withdrawal symptoms. It’s understandable speeding up the process is appealing but withdrawal symptoms are so unpredictable and consuming that quality of life during withdrawal has to be a consideration. So many people on this site talk about losing months and years of their life with withdrawal. I really hope that through reinstating you will be able to come off these drugs without feeling you have lost precious months/ years of your life. 

I’m not sure about vitamins best ask the experts. Be really kind to yourself, treat yourself as if you would a nearest and dearest going through this. Rest whenever you can and try to get enough sleep. 

Take care you will be drug free one day and the journey there will be much smoother. 

Kx

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.