BlueCookie: Misdiagnosed 9 years ago (Risperidal)

BlueCookie

Hi Everyone!

My medical story started around 9 years ago. I was misdiagnosed by an bad psychiatrist with an drug induced psychosis and put on Risperidal.

In fact I had just an minor depressive mood at this time and didn't feel well. This quack insisted on me to stay on this drug for several months.

This months started to become years. So 4 years ago I decided to quit Risperidal cold-turkey, not aware of the bad consequences it can have. 

I started to experience a psychosis which lead me to a mental hospital finally, were they misdiagnosed me again. At this time I was not aware

that Risperidal can lead to withdrawal symptoms even to a psychosis.

Long story short: My current doctor, which is quack too, said I should take Risperidal another 5 years before stop taking it!

I decided for myself that I don't want to take this drug any longer and started tapering it of slowly. I was taking 3mg and I reduced the dose to 2.5mg around two weeks ago without feeling any changes. So I am optimistic that this time I will successfully get rid of this drug :)

I just fear that when I reach a small dose, like 1mg, that some kind of psychosis will re-lapse 😕 Does anyone here have some tips or can tell me if it's likely that I will experience withdrawal symptoms after tapering off the drug ?

Thanks!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello  Blue  and welcome to SA.

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved .

I am sorry you are having such a rough time but you are now in the right place.

The site is currently extremely busy so please ensure you answer any requests from staff fully.

I apologise for the delay in replying but we are not a 24/7 service and take all newbies in order.

On 11/15/2019 at 3:52 PM, BlueCookie said:

My current doctor, which is quack too, said I should take Risperidal another 5 years before stop taking it!

Why did your " quack " put you back on Risperdal?

When did start taking Risperidal again?

What doses were you taking and when?

Are you taking any supplements?

What symptoms are you currently experiencing?

Are they better or worse after taking your med?

I was taking 3mg and I reduced the dose to 2.5mg

This is a faster taper than we would normally recommend, please see;

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

I just fear that when I reach a small dose, like 1mg, that some kind of psychosis will re-lapse 😕 Does anyone here have some tips or can tell me if it's likely that I will experience withdrawal symptoms after tapering off the drug

I am not familiar with anti-psychotics and will refer this to a Mod who is, @Altostrata

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

• Altostrata changed the title to BlueCookie Misdiagnosed 9 years ago (Risperidal)
  • Administrator

Welcome, BlueCookie.

On 11/15/2019 at 7:52 AM, BlueCookie said:

I was taking 3mg and I reduced the dose to 2.5mg around two weeks ago without feeling any changes.

How long were you taking 3mg?

When someone has been diagnosed previously with symptoms of psychosis, withdrawal symptoms that mimic or might be mistaken for psychosis are always a concern. We don't want people to be going back to the hospital for more drugs when they want to minimize drugs.

We advise a very careful, gradual taper, with reductions a month apart. This is so you can see how the reduction affects you. If you feel odd or sense those psychosis-like symptoms coming on, that's a sign to stop tapering, at least, and listen to your body. It may need smaller decreases to accommodate to lower levels of the drug.

Please read Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• manymoretodays changed the title to BlueCookie: Misdiagnosed 9 years ago (Risperidal)
21 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, BlueCookie.

How long were you taking 3mg?

When someone has been diagnosed previously with symptoms of psychosis, withdrawal symptoms that mimic or might be mistaken for psychosis are always a concern. We don't want people to be going back to the hospital for more drugs when they want to minimize drugs.

We advise a very careful, gradual taper, with reductions a month apart. This is so you can see how the reduction affects you. If you feel odd or sense those psychosis-like symptoms coming on, that's a sign to stop tapering, at least, and listen to your body. It may need smaller decreases to accommodate to lower levels of the drug.

Thanks for you reply! I have been taking 3mg around 5 months. I am tapering since 1 month and now take 2mg at the evening. Yet I can't feel any withdrawal symptoms except I have minor difficulties to fall asleep at night. Also I wake up early in the morning but I can get back to sleep. I also feel that my mind is a lot "lighter" then before. I now noticed that my mind was kind of fogged during day. Since I don't take any Risperidal in the morning I feel like I can think better and also have been in a better mood.

I am planning to stabilize my dose for one month at 2mg and I am planing to taper off again next year in January. So my next target reduction is 1.75mg.

Today I am pretty sure I was misdiagnosed and prescribed Risperidal for the wrong reasons. In my opinion I had a social anxiety which was diagnosed as psychosis. So I started taking this drug for several years without feeling any improvement in my "symptoms". Since my brain got used the drug and I stopped taking the drug cold-turkey I started to experience a hypersensitivity psychosis which led me to the hospital, where they again misdiagnosed me. I am now 30 years and want to get rid of this medication which never helped me in the first place, just made me fogged and mentally slow.

Do you think the reduction I plan next year is to high ? Since I reduced the drug now for around one month without feeling any psychotic symptoms I think I have a good chance living without taking it every day?

Thanks!

• Administrator
5 hours ago, BlueCookie said:

Since my brain got used the drug and I stopped taking the drug cold-turkey I started to experience a hypersensitivity psychosis which led me to the hospital, where they again misdiagnosed me. I am now 30 years and want to get rid of this medication which never helped me in the first place, just made me fogged and mentally slow.

A reduction from 2mg to 1.75mg is 12.5% reduction, a little higher than the 10% we recommend. Since you've had sleep disruption this last time, I might be more conservative.

Please be patient while gradually tapering, so as to protect your nervous system. When people go off any psychiatric drug cold-turkey or have a history of switching drugs or adverse reactions, what we see is they are very often hypersensitive to drugs and stimulation in general. That may be your situation. In that case, being conservative in your reductions would be a good idea.

For some people, symptoms of psychosis are triggered by inadequate sleep. This might also be true for you; I'd be very careful about this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 11/19/2019 at 2:40 PM, Altostrata said:

A reduction from 2mg to 1.75mg is 12.5% reduction, a little higher than the 10% we recommend. Since you've had sleep disruption this last time, I might be more conservative.

Please be patient while gradually tapering, so as to protect your nervous system. When people go off any psychiatric drug cold-turkey or have a history of switching drugs or adverse reactions, what we see is they are very often hypersensitive to drugs and stimulation in general. That may be your situation. In that case, being conservative in your reductions would be a good idea.

For some people, symptoms of psychosis are triggered by inadequate sleep. This might also be true for you; I'd be very careful about this.

Thanks a lot for your response! 

I just wanted to update my current situation. My sleep is very good now; I also notice that I am not that tired in the morning anymore and can get up earlier.

I have not noticed any withdrawal effect or symptoms after reducing to 2mg. It's quite astonishing how different my current experience is with the one two years ago.

At that time I reduced from 4mg to 2mg and in result felt a strong anxiety. Now after reducing over a longer period of time I can't notice any withdrawal.

I also wanted to let people know who read this that last time after I got anxiety from reducing this drug, my doctor said it was a symptom of my underlying illness, which is total bullsh**. If that would be the case I would notice the same effect today. My drug level should be now below what the doctors suggested is a good level (at 4mg daily). Any I surly would notice a psychotic outbreak now or at least I would feel very anxious.

Everyone, who has serious doubts about his diagnose and his medication should be careful with suddenly stopping his medication as this will probably lead to another wrong diagnose when withdrawal effects appear. Even my current doctor said that Risperidal can be reduced to zero without any concerns from one day to the other. It shows how little he knows about the serious withdrawal symptoms, which can appear.

I can't speak for everyone, maybe there are good psychiatrist, but for me every mental doctor I encountered was handing out drugs like candy. If I would have listend to them today I would take at least 4 different drugs!!!!

So my advice : Be very carful when going to a psychiatrist who want to put you on drugs after very short time.

BlueCookie, 

I am tapering Risperidone as well.  This drug is a tough cookie!  

I’m glad to hear your symptoms are down right now.  Also it’s great that you are taking only one drug! 

I started tapering Risperidone using the liquid prescription in 2018.  My system is very sensitive to it.  I am micro tapering for a total of 5% a month right now.  Tonight I am at 0.290 mg.  It’s doable.  I work full time.  For example today I had dizziness and a mild brain blasted kind of headache (not sure how else to describe it).  This is a multi year process for me.  Do you get facial tics?  Those started for me in WD.  I try my best to think positively when they come.  They come and go.  The tics are really mild and over the past year have not gotten worse.  I just continue my slow taper.  

I have had withdrawal-induced ‘psychosis’ in the past, so I taper very, very slowly. 

In my opinion, the site moderators here are very helpful.  

Best wishes, 

CarefulP 

My psychiatric drug history goes back, on and off, to 1999.  This is my taper chronology:

Jan. 2018:                        900 mg  Lithium                      1 mg Risperidone               250 mg Lamotrigine 

Jan. 2018:                        0 mg  Lithium*                        1 mg Risperidone               250 mg Lamotrigine 

Jan. 2019:                        0 mg Lithium                           0.625 mg Risperidone       175 mg Lamotrigine

Jan. 2020:                       0 mg Lithium                           0.260 mg Risperidone       175 mg Lamotrigine

Feb. 2021:                        0 mg Lithium                           0 mg Risperidone              175 mg Lamotrigine

August 2021                    0 mg Lithium                           0 mg Risperidone              0 mg Lamotrigine

*I had to cold turkey lithium because of life-threatening side effects.

Measuring doses: The Withdrawal Project at the Inner Compass Initiative website, which explains how to do the microtaper to make it as smooth as possible   Nutrition: The Clean Gut Diet by Alejandro Junger, MD, and Viva Naturals Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplements.  Psychological: "Dr. Bruce H. Lipton Explains How To Reprogram The Subconscious Mind" (on YouTube) and PSYCH-K (an alternative healing modality).  

7 hours ago, carefulprayerful said:

BlueCookie, 

I am tapering Risperidone as well.  This drug is a tough cookie!  

I’m glad to hear your symptoms are down right now.  Also it’s great that you are taking only one drug! 

I started tapering Risperidone using the liquid prescription in 2018.  My system is very sensitive to it.  I am micro tapering for a total of 5% a month right now.  Tonight I am at 0.290 mg.  It’s doable.  I work full time.  For example today I had dizziness and a mild brain blasted kind of headache (not sure how else to describe it).  This is a multi year process for me.  Do you get facial tics?  Those started for me in WD.  I try my best to think positively when they come.  They come and go.  The tics are really mild and over the past year have not gotten worse.  I just continue my slow taper.  

I have had withdrawal-induced ‘psychosis’ in the past, so I taper very, very slowly. 

In my opinion, the site moderators here are very helpful.  

Best wishes, 

CarefulP 

Hi CarefulP

Glad to hear that you are coming off this drug slowly :)

I haven't experienced any facial tics since I reduced the drug.  How do you feel now on such low dose? Did any withdrawal symptoms occur ?

I am planning to reduce in 3 weeks to 1.75mg from there my reduction steps are 1.5mg, 1.25mg and 1mg. Then I will start reducing in 0.1mg steps.

As I had serve withdrawal symptoms when I stopped taking Risperidal almost cold-turkey, I want to observe my situation at every step.

All the best! 

Just a short update.

Not feeling any withdrawal symptoms. Talked to a other doctor who works in a mental hospital and he confirmed my story and told me that the doctors made a wrong diagnose.

So I am not chronically ill like they said. Feeling positive to reduce the drug the next week to 1.75mg for 2 weeks then to 1.5mg. I am also trying to avoid stress and focus on my hobbies. Starting with a 12 week fitness program next week. 

cheers

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, BlueCookie said:

1.75mg for 2 weeks then to 1.5mg.

It's especially important to taper slowly at the very low doses.  We recommend tapering no faster than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  You run a risk of some unpleasant withdrawal symptoms if you do it faster, like every two weeks.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:37 PM, Gridley said:

It's especially important to taper slowly at the very low doses.  We recommend tapering no faster than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  You run a risk of some unpleasant withdrawal symptoms if you do it faster, like every two weeks.

Thank you for your concerns! It's my 4th day on 1.75mg and I think its to early to say if any withdrawal symptoms will occur.

But I am feeling slightly nervous not anxious but still. It probably has to do with my caffeine and cigarette usage. I switched to heated tabaco two months ago hoping to get rid of my nicotin addiction. I have the feeling that my brain reacts more sensitive to nicotin and caffeine since I am reducing Risperidal.

For instance I yesterday smoked normal cigarettes and drunk more then 3 coffees. As result I felt very stressed out and nervous. Today with less coffee and cigarettes I feel a lot better. I will try to keep an eye on that.

Other then that it is to say that I have talked to my doctor regarding my medication and convinced him that there are withdrawal symptoms from fast reduction. He gave me a prescription with 1mg and 0.25mg Risperidal. He also said that if I should notice any symptoms it would be advised to increase the dosage again. I am feeling positive that my taper will work this time as my doctor said it usually takes 6 weeks to notice symptoms from reduction. It has been almost 6 weeks on a low dose and no withdrawal to notice.

But I will take @Gridley's advice into account and wait with my next reduction till end of the year or beginning of the next year. Probably will target 1.625 mg.

All the best!

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, BlueCookie said:

He also said that if I should notice any symptoms it would be advised to increase the dosage again. I am feeling positive that my taper will work this time as my doctor said it usually takes 6 weeks to notice symptoms from reduction. It has been almost 6 weeks on a low dose and no withdrawal to notice.

But I will take @Gridley's advice into account and wait with my next reduction till end of the year or beginning of the next year. Probably will target 1.625 mg.

BlueCookie,

It is normal to have some symptoms after a reduction, just not serious symptoms.  If they are mild, there is  no need to increase.   The central nervous system gets used to the new dose and the symptoms lessen.   

It is not true that it takes 6 weeks to notice symptoms from a reduction. Some people notice them soon, some later.   It takes about a week for a dose change to reach full effect.  You could notice some symptoms at that time.  

It's very good that you've suffered no withdrawal.

The majority of people tapering find it difficult to tolerate caffeine.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

On 12/4/2019 at 8:01 PM, Gridley said:

BlueCookie,

It is normal to have some symptoms after a reduction, just not serious symptoms.  If they are mild, there is  no need to increase.   The central nervous system gets used to the new dose and the symptoms lessen.   

It is not true that it takes 6 weeks to notice symptoms from a reduction. Some people notice them soon, some later.   It takes about a week for a dose change to reach full effect.  You could notice some symptoms at that time.  

It's very good that you've suffered no withdrawal.

The majority of people tapering find it difficult to tolerate caffeine.

Thanks for your advice! 

After a few days my nervousness disappeared. I think it was more related to my caffeine intake maybe with reduction as well.

Anyways feeling good on the low dose. I asked my doctor about my diagnose and in short he said that I am healed ... For me that makes no sense it makes more sense to me that i got ill because of this drug in the first place. Anyways I am happy that I can live drug free in a few months.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I am now at 1.5mg Risperidal. Feeling slightly nervous again, but like last time I think it will disappear in a few days.

Also I have to add that I encounter a lot of negativity in my daily life. I feel the impact of it more after reducing the drug. But I will continue taper of.

All the best!

• Moderator Emeritus

Well done Blue

Sass

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

Hello BlueCookie. I am also tapering risperdal. My psychiatrist prescribed me risperidone 1mg/1ml oral solution. I haven't tried yet. I am at 1,75mg since 10/18/19. Have tried to reduce to 1,5mg a few times but I didn't feel to well,and decreasing to 1,5mg,it is more than 10%  reduction. What method do you use to reduce? I was doing dry cut I am weighing the pills and crushed them. I have akathisia and dystonia. Wishing you the best in your taper. 

Manny

Abilify from 20 mg to 10 mg-Nov.29,2017 to March.24,2019; Abilify 10 mg March.24,2019 to Sep.26,2020; 9,4ml Sep.27,2020;9,8ml Sep.29,2020;9,6ml Oct.17,2020;9,4ml Oct.30, 2020;9,2ml Nov.15,2020;9ml November 25th,2020;8,8ml December 16th,2020;8,6ml December 30th,2020;8,4ml January 13th,2021;8,2ml February 2nd,2021;8ml February 25th,2021;7,8ml March 17th,2021;7,6ml April 6th,2021;7,4ml April 18th,2021;7,2ml May 4th,2021;7ml  May 26th,2021;6,8ml June 6th,2021;6,6ml July 5th,2021;6,4ml July 21st,2021;6,2ml July 31st,2021;6ml August 13th,2021;5,8ml August 31st,2021;5,6ml September 16th,2021;5,4ml October 1st,2021;5,2ml October 15th,2021;5ml Nov 1st, 2021;4,8 ml Nov 13th,2021;Abilify 4,6ml November 28th,2021;Abilify 4ml December 10th,2021;Abilify 3,8ml January 1st,2022;Abilify 3,6ml January 15th,2022;Abilify 3,4ml January 28th,2022;Abilify 3,2ml February 15th,2022;Abilify 3ml February 28th,2022;Abilify 2,8ml March 12th,2022;Abilify 2,6ml March 31,2022;Abilify 2,5ml April 19th,2022;Abilify 2,4 May 6th,2022;Abilify 2,35ml May 26th,2022;Abilify 2,3ml June 23,2022; Abilify 2,2ml June 28th,2022;Abilify 2,1ml July 19th,2002;Abilify 2ml August 19th,2022;Abilify 1,95ml November 6th,2022;Abilify 1,9ml December 16th,2022;Abilify 1,85ml January 13th,2023;Abilify 1,85ml January 14th,2023;Abilify 1,90ml January 15th,2023; Abilify 1,89ml February 5th,2023;Abilify 1,88 ml February 10th,2023; Abilify 1,88

ml February 15th,2023; Abilify 1,85 ml February,20th,2023; Abilify 1,83ml March,6th,2023, Abilify 1,80ml March 17th,2023; Abilify 1,77ml March 29th,2023; Abilify 1,75ml April 12,2023; Abilify 1,5ml September 22nd,2023

Cymbalta 120 mg Jun.28,2011; 90mg Feb.19,2013 to Jun 5,2014;60 mg Jun.5,2014 to present

Klonopin 1,25 mg Jan.3,2016; 0,25mg Nov.28,2017 to present

biperiden extended release 4mg April.25,2008 to Feb.6,2009;Jun 24.2011 to January 13th 2023;Biperiden 4mg extended release + biperiden 1mg

Risperidone 2mg May.4,2017 to Dec 6.2019

Risperdal 1,5mg 12/06/19; 1,75mg 12/08/19; 1,5mg 12/20/19; 1,75mg (0,018g) 12/26/19

Risperidone 1,75ml 1/8/20; 1,70ml 1/18/20; 1,62ml 1/30/20; 1,54ml 2/29/20; 1,44ml 5/6/20; 1,42ml 5/7/20; 1,40ml 5/18/20; 1,30ml 6/1/20; 1,25ml 6/11/20; 1,12ml 7/5/20; 1ml 7/21/20; 0,96ml 8/16/20; 0,875ml 8/18/20; 0,86ml 8/28/20; 0,80ml 3/24/21;0,84ml 3/27/21; 0,86ml 4/4/21

On 1/8/2020 at 8:07 PM, Sassenach said:

Well done Blue

Sass

Thanks Sass!

On 1/8/2020 at 9:01 PM, Manny78 said:

Hello BlueCookie. I am also tapering risperdal. My psychiatrist prescribed me risperidone 1mg/1ml oral solution. I haven't tried yet. I am at 1,75mg since 10/18/19. Have tried to reduce to 1,5mg a few times but I didn't feel to well,and decreasing to 1,5mg,it is more than 10%  reduction. What method do you use to reduce? I was doing dry cut I am weighing the pills and crushed them. I have akathisia and dystonia. Wishing you the best in your taper. 

Manny

I have 1mg and 0.25mg pills so currently it's easy to taper. From 1mg downwards I will split the 0.25mg pill into two so I have 0.125mg.

I noticed sometimes you have to wait a little till the withdrawal symptoms disappear...

All the best!