MrElvis: trying to get off meds after 15 years.

MrElvis

Dear all, after a couple of years of following this and other sites i decided to introduce me, at least to share my story:

-In 2004 i got prescribed Paroxetine (20mgs if i'm correct) + Xanax (which i took once in a while during the years) due to panic attacks.

It made me feel good for a while honestly and at first i had no bad surprises at all.

I took it on and off for 8 years, everytime i wanted to stop i came on it after a few weeks (with no consequences). I was never warned about withdrawal and always convinced by an ignorant psychiatrist that they could be stopped in a month or so.

-In 2012 due to increased headaches i was suggested to switch to Cymbalta 60mgs.

-In 2013 i tried to stop it in a few months (ALWAYS on doctors suggestion) and got tinnitus, increased panic attacks and i came back on meds again. The ringing is still there.

-In 2018 i tried again and went from 60 to 30 mgs, this time to never return to the previous dosage.

Of course i had many problems like: vertigo, paresthesia, decreased libido, nausea, dhiarrea, lost 10% of my erection, anhedonia, floaters on my left eye and my heart rate sometimes is irregular.

I slowly realized what was going on to me thanks to this site and another (if i can mention it, it's cymbaltawithdrawal.com).

Sometimes i seriously think about suicide as the only way out, if it wasn't for the thought of my family it would end badly.

Life is not the same but i can say that here and there i have a good day or two.

The good thing, that i hope it can help someone, is that my sexual desire and anhedonia have improved during this period and most of my physical problems have gone.

Two coffees in the morning and magnesium help me to stay active during the day, hopefully i have not troubles in getting asleep. 

---I'd like to ask you for urgent advice on one thing: i usually take the pill at midnight, unfortunately last friday i skipped one dose, and took it the day after at 6pm because i started feeling flu like symptoms.

Since sunday i take it at 6 but i still feel like two years ago, meaning that i can work but it's like i came back a bit on my old symptoms.

What would you do at my place? Would it be a good idea to add a few beads to each pill for 3-4 days or to take it everyday one hour earlier? Thanks!

2004-2012: I was put on Paroxetine 20mgs for panic attacks, during these years it probably increased headaches.

2012-2018: Switched to Cymbalta 60mgs, in 2013 i tried to reduce to 30mgs for a few months and got tinnitus. Immediately went back to 60mgs on doctor's advice.

2018-now: Reduced Cymbalta to 30mgs again and within 3 months triggered several mild symptoms: fatigue, sexual disfunction, some kind of brain fog, my feet feel hot during the night, kind of floaters on left eye . Still on the same dosage.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello  Mr E

and welcome to SA.

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved .

I am sorry you are having such a rough time but you are now in the right place.

The site is currently extremely busy so please ensure you answer any requests from staff fully.

On 1/21/2020 at 4:54 PM, MrElvis said:

Since sunday i take it at 6 but i still feel like two years ago, meaning that i can work but it's like i came back a bit on my old symptoms.

You effectively had 18hrs between doses.

We all make this mistake occasionally but it is better to continue taking at 6pm now every day.

What would you do at my place? Would it be a good idea to add a few beads to each pill for 3-4 days or to take it everyday one hour earlier?

Definitely do not start adding beads you could upset the work you have already done.

Keep taking at 6pm.

because i started feeling flu like symptoms.

We would expect to feel some symptoms from the missed dose but these should settle down in the next few days.

If that does not happen then please get back to us.

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

Please feel free to browse the site, it is a wealth of info.

Other members threads will give you an insight and the opportunity to share experiences.

Again welcome.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

Thank You for your answer, that's exactly what i needed to know.

Will let you know for sure!

2004-2012: I was put on Paroxetine 20mgs for panic attacks, during these years it probably increased headaches.

2012-2018: Switched to Cymbalta 60mgs, in 2013 i tried to reduce to 30mgs for a few months and got tinnitus. Immediately went back to 60mgs on doctor's advice.

2018-now: Reduced Cymbalta to 30mgs again and within 3 months triggered several mild symptoms: fatigue, sexual disfunction, some kind of brain fog, my feet feel hot during the night, kind of floaters on left eye . Still on the same dosage.

On 1/22/2020 at 5:42 PM, Sassenach said:

We would expect to feel some symptoms from the missed dose but these should settle down in the next few days.

If that does not happen then please get back to us.

Hello again, after 10 days i'm still feeling pretty bad. My symptoms are:

Increased anxiety

Muscle weakness, including eyes

Vertigo, when turning head

Weird dreams/nightmares

There was a slight improvement, i had nausea as well and i think it's gone.

I find very upsetting that, for a skipped dose i have to go through this.

By the way as you say i keep on taking the pill at the same time everyday together with magnesium and Omega3.

If there is something else that i should do, please let me know.

Thanks!

@Altostrata

Edited by Sassenach

• Administrator

Hello, MrElvis.

On 1/27/2020 at 3:16 AM, MrElvis said:

I find very upsetting that, for a skipped dose i have to go through this.

Yes, you skipped only one dose, but you had a long history of going on and off drugs and having adverse reactions to drugs. Your nervous system is now more sensitive from the old bruises.

It may take some time to stabilize. Be patient, take care of yourself and your nervous system. Go to bed and get up at regular hours, do not drink alcohol, avoid stress, eat fresh foods.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...

Hello there, just a small update here.

Things have gotten better since January, still not 100% by the way.

This event led me to think that i need to quit this drug as soon as i can, I'm really sick of taking it.

Of course i cannot allow myself to keep on tapering right now, obviously i have to wait.

• 9 months later...

Hi, just checkin in after several months. To be honest i was hoping to report some progress during this timeline but it looks like 2020 wasn't a good year for anyone, me included.

At least i had the time to realize a few things.

Right now i'm taking the pill each day at 19:30. Omega 3 and magnesium each morning.

Often in the evening i have some very mild brain zaps, they're not annoying. (could it be that the medication's effect doesn't cover all day anymore?)

Unfortunately this summer i discovered a new symptom: in the late evening before getting asleep i feel my feet become pretty hot, it's not painful, but irritating for sure. (It gets better if i don't drink coffee during the day)

Two weeks ago i had to take amoxicillin and some cortisone due to an ear infection. Now i feel my legs strangely sore, it's difficult for me to say if it's because of this therapy or not, since in the last several months i spent most of the days sitting.

Regarding caffeine, i'm trying to quit and i'm not still sure how it is a good idea since it's the only thing that makes me feel optimistic and do some stuff (even 1-2 teaspoons of Nescafe daily made a difference, i was never a coffee addict). Without it i find difficult to focus and enjoy, i also tend to cry much more and feel depressed throughout the day.

I'll switch for chamomile tea for a few months and see what happens.

I'm also planning a drastic diet change, maybe for one year, since i have no other idea on what to do to improve.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please create your drug signature so that we can see your drug history at a glance and do not have to read back through your posts to get the information.  Please remember to update it when you make a change.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

7 minutes ago, MrElvis said:

and magnesium each morning

You could try taking magnesium 2 or 3 times a day.

Magnesium

8 minutes ago, MrElvis said:

Often in the evening i have some very mild brain zaps, they're not annoying. (could it be that the medication's effect doesn't cover all day anymore?)

Are you taking Cymbalta? 

In Post #1 of the following topic it states that the half life of Cymbalta is 12 hours so this might be causing your issues.  If you decide to split your doses SA usually suggests moving part of the dose by 1 hour each day.  I suggest that you take notes to see how it is affecting your symptoms.  Also be aware of any changes to your sleep.

tips-for-tapering-off-cymbalta-duloxetine

Check out the graphs in this post:

☼-scallywag-cymbalta-skipping-doses-didnt-work-time-to-taper

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 2/7/2021 at 10:27 PM, ChessieCat said:

You could try taking magnesium 2 or 3 times a day.

I'm having 250mgs daily, it's one pill. I don't think to tolerate more since i have to stop once a week because it gives me diarrhea. You mean to split the tablet or increase the dosage?

On 2/7/2021 at 10:27 PM, ChessieCat said:

Are you taking Cymbalta? 

In Post #1 of the following topic it states that the half life of Cymbalta is 12 hours so this might be causing your issues.  If you decide to split your doses SA usually suggests moving part of the dose by 1 hour each day.  I suggest that you take notes to see how it is affecting your symptoms.  Also be aware of any changes to your sleep.

Yes i could give it a try even if i'm a bit scared of triggering new stuff or messing with doses. By the way, despite its half life, i never had this issue before missing one dose one year ago.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, i hope you are doing fine. I want to share this with you.

At the end of February, after reading some members positive experiences i decided to start the Plant Paradox plan and reduce 80% of caffeine intake.

I was consuming junk food more and more and honestly felt awful. I really wasn't sure i could be able to stay on this regimen but surprisingly i am still on it.

I am the most pessimist person you can meet, what has happened in 2 months is far beyond my expectations:

-evenings brain zaps are intermittent and/or less intense

-Fatigue is much reduced during the day (it seems linked to brainzaps). I feel like i can start to do some regular excercise whitout regretting it in the evening.  

-I'm feeling a bit like a new person, for example: three weeks ago i started collecting and reading comic books out of nowhere.

I was angry and suicidal almost 24/7. Now there are days where depression and anxiety seem to be nonexistent, if only i was able to feel some more pleasure...(this is why i miss coffee)

Finally, after three years of getting worse i found something that can help me to go through this hell with less fear.

Staying at home 7 months due to Covids situation in my country helped a lot to minimize stress.

By the way, i don't want to use the term "recovery", this is more like an helping hand from someone up there.

I really hope this is just the beginning of a process.