cocacolaeyes: Effexor Taper

cocacolaeyes

cocacolaeyes

Hi all,

I found this forum from someone who mentioned it on reddit and thought I would come to share my story and learn from others.

I had a really bad episode of dissociation and depersonalization in August of 2019 due to weed. I have a history of panic disorder and GAD so this was a very scary experience. By October, I decided I couldn't handle it on my own anymore and was put on Cipralex (lexapro for my American friends). I started on 5mg for 1 week and eventually got up to 15 mg. Unfortunately, I found the drug to be very numbing and left me feeling like a zombie. I was immediately switched with no taper to Effexor XR in February of 2020. The medication worked wonders however, I started having a rare side effect of orthostatic hypotension. I felt constantly dizzy, my blood pressure was dropping lower each day. My doctor decided he would rather I just get off medication entirely as I clearly am too sensitive to the effects of them. We decided on a plan to work with my therapist and lifestyle changes to manage my anxiety going forward.

Now for the scary part...

Today was my first day off the medication entirely. The taper plan recommended by my doctor was to go down to 37.5mg for two weeks and then today I could stop taking it. We tried this a month ago but I had really horrible withdrawal. The brain zaps were constant, I felt ill, I was panicking. This time, he has recommended a slower taper of taking 1 pill of 37.5mg every other day for a week, then 1 pill every 2 days for a week and so on... I know a lot of people do not recommend this style of taper, and prefer the bead counting. I asked my doctor about that method and he said it would be difficult and time consuming and would rather I stick to this method. I trust my doctor a lot and he has been immensely helpful in the past and has never misguided me.

I am currently waiting for the horrible brain zaps and panic to set in again. I am very afraid of how I will get through this taper. I want off the medication so badly but the last time I tried to get off it was so scary. I also keep scaring myself by reading horror stories of people who have had lasting side effects from the withdrawal for years and am terrified that will be me as well.

If anyone has any kind words or stories of hope they can share or even some advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Gridley

August 2019 - February 2020 - 10mg Cipralex

February 2020 - May 2020 - 37.5 mg Effexor - suffered severe side effects like nausea, headaches, increased agitation

May 2020 - attempted to taper Effexor, had a bad relapse, worst panic attacks of my life

May 2020 - Started Prozac 10 mg, immediately felt better

June 2020 - Increased to Prozac 20mg

March 2022 - Started tapering Prozac from 20mg to 10mg over 8 weeks, zero side effects and no withdrawal symptoms

July 2022 - Moved down to 5mg of Prozac, have begun feeling withdrawal side effects (insomnia, nausea, headaches, agitation, brain fog, brain zaps, but mood remains stable, no anxiety)

• manymoretodays changed the title to cocacolaeyes: Effexor Taper
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Cocacolaeyes.

I've brought your situation to the attention of the administrators and other moderators.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

Welcome, Coca.

17 hours ago, cocacolaeyes said:

Today was my first day off the medication entirely. The taper plan recommended by my doctor was to go down to 37.5mg for two weeks and then today I could stop taking it. We tried this a month ago but I had really horrible withdrawal. The brain zaps were constant, I felt ill, I was panicking. This time, he has recommended a slower taper of taking 1 pill of 37.5mg every other day for a week, then 1 pill every 2 days for a week and so on... I know a lot of people do not recommend this style of taper, and prefer the bead counting. I asked my doctor about that method and he said it would be difficult and time consuming and would rather I stick to this method. I trust my doctor a lot and he has been immensely helpful in the past and has never misguided me.

First, to address your situation: Do you have any Effexor capsules left? If I were you, I would immediately take 10 beads out of the capsule.

If this relieves your withdrawal symptoms, you would continue to take 10 beads for some months and then taper off bead by bead later. Please let us know how you're doing.

Furthermore:

SKIPPING DOSES IS A TERRIBLE WAY TO TAPER. NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER.

Your doctor may be a good doctor but doesn't know anything about tapering psychiatric drugs. See

Please ask your doctor not to recommend skipping doses of any psychiatric drugs.

This is the proper way to gradually taper Effexor Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 years later...

Tapering Prozac ... looking for support

Hello all, 

It's been a while since I posted nearly two years ago about trying to come off of Effexor. I had a miserable experience tapering off Effexor and was put on Prozac and have been on Prozac at 20mg for over a year now. Prozac worked wonders for me while I worked through my trauma using EMDR therapy. After discussions with many doctors and therapists, it seems a good time for me to try coming off of Prozac, as I am past the worst of my traumas, and am feeling healthy and stable in my current environment. 

I started my Prozac taper in March of 2022, dropping from 20mg to 10mg, even though I know this big of a drop can be harmful. However, I got through it with no symptoms and no return in my pre-medication symptoms of anxiety, and derealization. I stayed on the 10mg for about 2 months, which brings us the the end of June 2022 where my doctor advised I drop the same amount to 5mg. Things were going well with it until day 17 of the 5mg taper. I started to experience insomnia, nausea, and today, wicked brain fog, confusion, and just generally feeling really physically run down. So far, my mood and anxiety levels are just as stable as they were on the 20mg dose, which gives me hope. What I am here to ask though, is there anyway to manage the symptoms of withdrawal that I am currently experiencing? And how should I move forward to get fully off of Prozac? I am taking the liquid version so adjusting to specific doses is very easily done. 

EDIT:

I forgot to add that while I am experiencing a number of physical symptoms, I would only rate their severity as a 2/10, its unpleasant, but I am generally able to function normally. At times, it comes in waves where I need to lay down or sleep for a while. But I have definitely experienced far worse withdrawals from other drugs in the past.

Thanks for reading and for any support you can offer!

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

August 2019 - February 2020 - 10mg Cipralex

February 2020 - May 2020 - 37.5 mg Effexor - suffered severe side effects like nausea, headaches, increased agitation

May 2020 - attempted to taper Effexor, had a bad relapse, worst panic attacks of my life

May 2020 - Started Prozac 10 mg, immediately felt better

June 2020 - Increased to Prozac 20mg

March 2022 - Started tapering Prozac from 20mg to 10mg over 8 weeks, zero side effects and no withdrawal symptoms

July 2022 - Moved down to 5mg of Prozac, have begun feeling withdrawal side effects (insomnia, nausea, headaches, agitation, brain fog, brain zaps, but mood remains stable, no anxiety)

• ChessieCat changed the title to cocacolaeyes: tapering Prozac ... looking for support