HappyPup: Trintellex Tapering

HappyPup

HappyPup

Hi,

I found this forum today and it really helped me to see some topics on the SSRI’s and Trintellix. I have been taking Trintellix for about 15 months. 10 mg.

About 2.5 months ago I dropped my dose to 5 mg due to many undesirable side effects. I have dropped to 2.5 mg 7 days ago and was planning on staying on that for a couple of months. Some of the last 7 days have been good, some not so good. I am I doing the right thing with this taper? I do not wish to take anything else. I exercise, take magnesium and a multi vitamin supplement. Any advice would be awesome, thank you!

Edited by Gridley
  • ChessieCat changed the title to HappyPup: Trintellex Tapering
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, HappyPup.  Thanks for doing your Introduction post.  I have a few questions.

1. When you say you've had undesirable side effects from the Trintillex, could you describe them, please?  

2. Did they occur immediately and were they severe?  Or were they gradual?  

3. As you've gone to a lower dose, have these effects lessened?  

4.  You said in your earlier post you had good days and bad days.  Please describe your symptoms.  5.  Did they begin when you went from 10mg to 5mg?  Did they increase when you dropped to 2.5mg?

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tapering faster than that puts you at risk of withdrawal syndrome.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

I understand your wish to avoid the unpleasant side effects of the drug.  It often happens that there is a push-pull in tapering, with withdrawal from a too fast taper being worse than the side effects.  I agree with your idea to hold at 2.5 for at least two two months.  Then, depending on how you feel, you can begin a 10% taper off the 2.5mg to zero.

The lower doses of these drugs are the most potent and it is especially important to taper slowly at the end.  This link explains how to get the nonstandard doses you'll need for your 10% taper.  Please keep us updated and definitely check in before tapering any further.

Tips for tapering off Trintellix (vortioxetine), previously called Brintellix

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can answer my questions, ask your own and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for responding:)

1. When you say you've had undesirable side effects from the Trintillex, could you describe them, please?  

I felt like I my head was in a fog all the time. I also started noticing that focusing was more difficult and I was developing a total lack of motivation to do anything... at all....  I also gained 10 lbs which for me is a lot. Exercising became a huge chore and I have always had plenty of energy for that. ( I was always a runner) . I also was getting headaches often.  Unable to get to sleep was another one. Water retention as well.

2. Did they occur immediately and were they severe?  Or were they gradual?  

The side effects were all gradual with exception of the nausea and the inability to get to sleep. I have had that since day one. Nausea from the time I took it for about 3 hours each day.

3. As you've gone to a lower dose, have these effects lessened?  

Yes, I don't feel in a fog as much since going to 2.5 mg. A "lighter" feeling in my head if that makes any sense. At night I am able to get to sleep better and I feel more rested when I wake up. I also don't feel as much water retention. I am getting a few brain zappies here and there but am wondering if that is from the dose reduction.

4.  You said in your earlier post you had good days and bad days.  Please describe your symptoms.  5.  Did they begin when you went from 10mg to 5mg?  Did they increase when you dropped to 2.5mg?

When I went from 10 to 5 mg I had a headache and muscle stiffness and aches for 4 days. After that I was fine but still had the fog and all the other side effects. Since reducing to 2.5 mg I have been able to exercise better and yesterday I actually felt really good working out. Also afterwards I felt really good. I have been taking magnesium and a multi vitamin.

If I stay on the 2.5 mg for 8 weeks is that long enough? Or could I try reducing sooner?

• Moderator Emeritus
22 minutes ago, HappyPup said:

multi vitamin.

We generally don't recommend multivitamins since if an ingredient doesn't agree with you you won't know which one it is.

23 minutes ago, HappyPup said:

magnesium

You might want to consider also taking omegas (see my previous post).

25 minutes ago, HappyPup said:

If I stay on the 2.5 mg for 8 weeks is that long enough? Or could I try reducing sooner

I would wait and see how you're doing at the 8 week point.  You're tapered very fast from 10mg to 2.5mg and I would wait and let your system get accustomed to these changes after 15 months on the drug.  So I wouldn't try reducing sooner.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I will stay on the 2.5 mg and keep reading posts here. How long do you think I should stay on the 2.5 then? I have taken the omega's before but didn't feel really good on them. I'll try a small dose.  

The other question I have is I take my 2.5 mg at about 0930. Why is it that 2 hours later I feel bad? Flushed, irritated and sometimes down right pissed off lol.  Would it not be the opposite? Then later in the afternoon I feel good again.

• Moderator Emeritus
36 minutes ago, HappyPup said:

How long do you think I should stay on the 2.5 then? I have taken the omega's before but didn't feel really good on them. I'll try a small dose.  

I'd stay at 2.5 for at least 8 weeks and then let's see how you're doing.  

21 minutes ago, HappyPup said:

Why is it that 2 hours later I feel bad?

It's likely a side effect.  As I said earlier, there's a push-pull between which is worse, side effects or withdrawal from a too-fast taper.  Generally, withdrawal is going to be the worse of the two.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.