Diabetes

moses

Hey!

Has anyone ever developed diabetes from taking ADs?

I heard that it's common.

Rosie

2009 Efexor 75mg tapered twice

November 2011 Pristiq 50 mg

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Currently on 30 mg of compounded Pristiq

Hey!

Has anyone ever developed diabetes from taking ADs?

I heard that it's common.

Rosie

I had diabetes before going on antidepressants, but it didn't help when I went on them. I could never keep my blood sugars under control.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

all psychiatric drugs effect blood sugar and can lead to diabetes in those who are somewhat predisposed.

the class of drug most guilty are neuroleptics, but ADs definitely effect things too.

I posted something on obesity, blood sugar issues and metabolic syndrom in relation to those of us who've been on psych drugs a while back...

here's a link:

http://beyondmeds.com/2012/04/18/diabetesobesity/

at the bottom of that post are links to lots of additional info that help us mitigate the harm.

good luck.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Rosie,

My last bloodwork had me at borderline diabetic, somewhere on the metabolic syndrome spectrum. My endocrine system is defintely in chaos. Fatty liver disease, also. I did not gain weight, but lost a significant amount over the last 10 years, so don't fit the obesity/metabolic profile. I was on several neuroleptics in addition to SS/NRIs for 17 years (add-on depression treatments).

No history of diabetes in family although elderly mother recently diagnosed after many years on sertraline/Zoloft.

I see Lilly is working on a new blockbuster diabetes drug. How convenient after their Zyprexa caused so much diabetes. GRRRR}}}}

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi Barb,

I guess you have to be careful with what you eat?

Thankfully, my blood test turned out perfect. No diabetes. Thank God!

Right now, these horrible headaches are really getting me down!

Hugs,

Rosie

2009 Efexor 75mg tapered twice

November 2011 Pristiq 50 mg

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Currently on 30 mg of compounded Pristiq

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I too had a problem with high blood sugar while on AD's. I am not actually diabetic, my doctor says, I am borderline, I think he called it.

My fasting blood glucose level has been just a few point over normal twice, and a high a glucose test that was above normal (I had to drink a tall glass of sugar, and after 2 hours my blood glucose was measured).

I never attributed it to the AD, because there is diabetes II in my family, and I was overweight, so it is dificult to tell what the cause is. But from I understand, AD could be factor.

My fasting blood glucose is always normal (though maybe in the higher end of the range) when I measure it at home.

Alopam (benzodiazepine) first prescribed 1994
Akarin (citalopram) from 2002

Mirtazepine for about 2 months for insomnia in 2003 or 2004
Changed from Akarin to Effexor 2005
Started Nexium 2005
Changed from Effexor to Akarin 2006
Stopped Alopam after slow tapering 2006
Changed from Akarin to Cipralex 2006
Started Seroquel (quetiapine) 2006
Changed from Nexium to Omeprazol 2006
Started tramadol 2008
Started pramipexole for restless legs syndrome 2008
Stopped Seroquel after quick tapering 2009
Stopped tramadol 2011
Stopped Omeprazol August 2012
Stopped Cipralex (escitalopram) (after an appr 6 weeks taper) on Oct 13, 2012
Reinstated Cipralex 5 mg on May 18 - on May 22 went down to 2.5 mg Cipralex - June 1 down to 2 mg Cipralex, oral drops - June 26 down to 1.20 mg - July 27 updosed to 1,30 mg - Sept 14 down to 1,00 mg of own tablet liquid - Oct 20 down to 0,90 mg

I developed diabetes from taking Seroquel. My psychiatrist did no blood work on me so one night I ended up in the ER with pancreatitis. The diabetes disappeared after I c/t the Seroquel.

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

• 2 weeks later...

GiaK....I was reading the material on your blog about Diabetes.  Totally believe it.

I have always had sugar cravings.  They became worse on ADs.  I fear going for blood tests because I don't want to face that fear of having diabetes or borderline diabetes.

I started juicing vegetables in the hope of losing weight and obtaining the health benefits from vegetables.  I like it very much.

Although I noticed a slight decrease in cravings, this week I went 'hog-wild' with ice cream.

I can't blame all of this on AD's.  Eating sugar is like retail therapy.  Escapism from the daily grind and problems encountered along the way.  With that admission, I still believe things got wors from AD's.  A slower metabolism and weight gain as a result.

Determined to get off Celexa and have a healthier me.

Thank you

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 3 years later...

Just found this thread, as I am sitting here trying to drink enough water to stop feeling dehydrated.  I have spoken to my doctor about it, but he wants to give me another week of trying to drink more, before he will look at my sugar levels.  I have already been diagnosed as diabetic and have metabolic syndrome which was directly caused by taking antipsychotics - SO depressing!!  

Realise this thread is quite old now, is there anyone around now who struggles with this??  Have you found anything that works particularly well?  

I have found it really difficult when the AP's cause carb cravings.  

History:- 1993: - prescribed Prozac - soon started having momentary episodes of psychosis - 1994: psychotic breakdown  - prescribed high doses of antipsychotics including Depixol, Chlorpromazine (with procyclidine to control pacing) and later prescribed olanzapine, haloperidol, risperidone with different antidepressants (relapsed or crashed each time I tried to reduce or withdraw from meds).  Can't recall all combinations of drugs have been on.   2007: amisulpride 400mg & venlafaxine 75mg    2013: Got down to 150mg amisulpride, but hospitalised with v.bad psychosis after dropping to this dose and coerced into taking 600mg (always hit problems when dropping below 200mg)  2014: reduced and then problematic symptoms of psychosis, mid-Dec - back up to 200mg,

Feb 2015 had reduced to 180.5mg crashed badly and suddenly and hospitalised : prescribed 300mg amisulpride, 10 mg aripripazole, 50 mg sertraline.  Gradually reduced to 60.75mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify only by Dec 2016.  shortly after 30/1/17 two days paranoia, held and stabilised.  made 2.5% reductions in amisulpride to get to 50mg amisulpride plus 10mg abilify.  Held for long period of time to let CNS stabilise as unable to tolerate any more reductions (from Aug 2017)   April 2018 40mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify.

Current Meds: 17.6mg amisulpride, 10mg abilify plus 2000mg metformin for type II diabetes

HI Whitelily,

Take a look at this site, https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/diabetes/.   I know people not on antipsychotics who have diabetes or metabolic issues have said going on a high fat, low carb diet has eliminated their carb cravings which resulted in normal blood sugars.   Not sure how that would work taking antipsychotics but maybe worth a shot.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

hi Compsports, thank you for replying and posting the link - that was really kind of you.  I'll check it out .....

History:- 1993: - prescribed Prozac - soon started having momentary episodes of psychosis - 1994: psychotic breakdown  - prescribed high doses of antipsychotics including Depixol, Chlorpromazine (with procyclidine to control pacing) and later prescribed olanzapine, haloperidol, risperidone with different antidepressants (relapsed or crashed each time I tried to reduce or withdraw from meds).  Can't recall all combinations of drugs have been on.   2007: amisulpride 400mg & venlafaxine 75mg    2013: Got down to 150mg amisulpride, but hospitalised with v.bad psychosis after dropping to this dose and coerced into taking 600mg (always hit problems when dropping below 200mg)  2014: reduced and then problematic symptoms of psychosis, mid-Dec - back up to 200mg,

Feb 2015 had reduced to 180.5mg crashed badly and suddenly and hospitalised : prescribed 300mg amisulpride, 10 mg aripripazole, 50 mg sertraline.  Gradually reduced to 60.75mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify only by Dec 2016.  shortly after 30/1/17 two days paranoia, held and stabilised.  made 2.5% reductions in amisulpride to get to 50mg amisulpride plus 10mg abilify.  Held for long period of time to let CNS stabilise as unable to tolerate any more reductions (from Aug 2017)   April 2018 40mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify.

Current Meds: 17.6mg amisulpride, 10mg abilify plus 2000mg metformin for type II diabetes

• 2 weeks later...

Does metabolic syndrom resolve itself after tapering? 
I have developed it as well on my seroquel. It's not one of my main concerns (many more problems) but i am wondering if it will resolve. I gained three clothing sizes but stayed on the same weight (which sounds crazy but it
's probably because i have more fat less muscle)

Several ssri's, antipsychotics, opiads and benzo's since 2003.

Flurazepam: rapid taper after 6 weeks usage in beginning of march 2015

Trazodone: rapid taper from 50ms to 0mgs end of july 2015

Current medication:12 mgs seroquel (from 25mgs)

• 3 weeks later...

hi lanah, I don't know whether it always reverses if you stop the meds.  All I can say is that in my own situation it got worse until I was full blown type II and unfortunately gained a lot of weight on my belly.  

I am currently eating a lot more vegetables, especially green veg, and occasionally green smoothies to try and stabilise, and then reverse the increase in blood sugar levels i've had.  

ADs definitely cause blood sugar swings.

Since being on ADs, I have experienced many (what I can only describe as) "pseudo-hypoglaecemic" events.

Just before Christmas I had the urine "dip test" for diabetes - NEGATIVE. 

Everything else thats tested at the same time - NORMAL.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 4 years later...
  • Mentor

I had major sugar cravings from Paxil years ago and gained some weight. And about 4 years ago when dr switched me to Prozac I Had really bad sugar cravings. Chocolate! 2 snickers at a time. Then I was at dr for check up around 2018 and was told to watch my sugar. Tried tapering and dealing with withdrawals didn’t think much about it. Then around 2019 dr said the word prediabetes. Refused the met Forman pill and eat very low carbs and got sugar down to acceptable range in 3 months. Then hit another withdrawal wave and life and wasn’t eating so good. Last blood test in July this year it was up again. I’ve been on lexapro for 3 years small cravings but nothing like prozac. I looked back at my old lab reports and when I was on Prozac the sugar was steadily climbing every 6 months. I hope I can turn this around I feel like I can! I know this is and old thread. Would like to ask anyone that successfully tapered off ads did there sugar levels return to normal or are sugar levels getting any lower as the years are passing off ads?

thanks

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Diabetes
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I am just wondering if there are any members of SA who have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes later in life.

I am having a bit of struggle coming to terms with my diagnosis and would appreciate some short term support to get me over the initial stage.

So as not to clutter this topic, please send me a PM.

Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Noting that olanzapine is particularly bad at inducing type II diabetes.

While SA can't generally recommend fasting, I have used it three times now to reset my resting blood sugar from a prediabetic diagnosis back to the acceptable range.

If I hadn't fasted I am fairly sure full blown type II would have manifested among the various other harms this drug caused me.

Unrelated to drugs in general a diabetic friend who was needing to inject insulin daily discovered fasting himself and has significantly reduced the severity of his type II and no longer requires needles.

Again, fasting does require caution, some study and definitely practice to pick up.  While not suitable for everyone, it is a very natural process that is out of style due to recent mass produced food advertising.  I don't know of any other natural exercise one may undertake to mitigate type II diabetes.  In the same way that we're evolved to walk 30km each day and not sit at a desk, we're evolved to have times without much food, not load up on carbs and sugar each morning.

There's plenty of good science around.  Dr Jason Fung's book ain't the worst.

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, hayduke said:

I have used it three times now to reset my resting blood sugar from a prediabetic diagnosis back to the acceptable range.

You might be interested in these books.

I've been doing a lot of research on what foods a diabetic should not eat and there are some discrepencies.  Apparently in the early 2000s they were saying the carbs were okay whereas in the last 10 or so years they say to eliminate carbs.  Carbs turn into sugar.  I have reading a book by Michael Mosley who managed to get his sugar levels down and has managed to keep it down.  He has done a lot of research and includes this information in his book.

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/michaels-story/

There is also a recipe book based on this diet.  I managed to get it from my library:

8-Week-Blood-Sugar-Diet-Recipe-ebook

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

You might be interested in these books.

Cheers, that's a good contribution to the thread.  I found the CSIRO high protein diet effective for a time, too.

Off the drug I don't feel diabetes is a huge issue for me from my diet.  Sure have to watch my cholesterol though!

This guy can be a bit crass but he does write things up no one else does:

https://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2010/10/zyprexa_and_fat.html

Remarkably violent drug, olanzapine.  Every time I would mention these kinds of problems to my aggressively unsupportive parents I'd get "Gee dear that's tough.  You'll have to exercise more.  Oh, did you hear Blah's daughter bought a house in Blahville?  She's very happy with it.  Blah" ad nauseum.

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• Moderator Emeritus

I can highly recommend the video linked below.  And I strongly encourage you to watch it.  I hope it can be viewed in other countries.

Amazingly ironic.  My friend phoned me yesterday and when I mentioned my change of diet she asked if I had seen the 3 part series on an experiment to reverse diabetes.  I had not.  But it was the same guy whose book I had found and read and am following his diet. 

His name is Michael Mosley.  He and another person got together and helped some people change their diet and include exercise.  During the 8 week period they measured the different things.  They even did a scan of their internal body fat before and after.  The results were fantastic.  Some of the participants  were able to stop their drugs, diabetic and/or blood pressure.

Michael Mosley even did a "reverse test" and did 14 days on an Australian type diet which included some take away meals.  He tested his blood glucose along the way.  At the end of the 14 weeks he got all the initial tests done again and it was amazing how quickly he ended up becoming pre or full diabetic (can't remember which).  Then after the 14 days he went on the diet and was retested and reversed it very quickly.

It is on the SBS website channel in Australia.  I am hoping that it might be available for overseas viewers.

The title of the series is Australia's Health Revolution with Dr Michael Mosley.  It might get moved to a different area of the site after a while, since it has only recently been on TV.  If this link doesn't work I suggest you search for the title.  Hopefully it will be available online until about Sept/Oct 2022.

https://www.sbs.com.au/programs/australias-health-revolution-with-dr-michael-mosley 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Please note that these are for Type 2 diabetes, not Type 1.

I think understanding what causes insulin resistance can be a major key to being disciplined about changing your eating habits.

I started seeing results very quickly which has been very encouraging and it is helping me to keep going.  

These are all excellent videos and they have helped me a lot:

Video:  Jason Fung

Reverse Type 2 Diabetes naturally, without medications. It is a curable disease, but as a dietary disease, it demands a dietary treatment. The principles including fasting and weight loss are outlined. Dietary modification is the cornerstone of reversing type 2 diabetes.

How to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally

Videos:   Dr Sten Ekberg, a holistic doctor

High insulin levels are not hard to reverse once you understand why they are high.

14 Common Insulin Resistance Treatments That Stops Your Weight Loss & May Hurt You

Insulin Resistance Diet — What To Eat & Why

How Long Does It Take To Reverse Insulin Resistance?

6 Ultimate BENEFITS OF EXERCISE For Diabetes, Insulin, Weight Loss, Your Brain & More

• Moderator Emeritus

Another excellent video:

Dr. David Unwin - 'Can we beat T2 Diabetes? HOPE on the horizon'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlKDM3SDHPA

• Moderator Emeritus

Something that I would like to add as a caution.

If changing your diet, especially if you are tapering, is to do a gradual change over.  For example you could start with reducing any added sugar you use, then reduce something else.  Even for people not tapering or experiencing withdrawal symptoms, radically changing your diet in one go might cause issues, and it can also end up being more difficult because you can feel deprived which can make you feel even worse and reduces the desire to make the change.

Sugar withdrawal IS  thing.  I had it happen to me when I went on the Pritikin diet when I was in my mid twenties.  It was very similar to nicotine withdrawal which I had also experienced.

Doing a gradually change over can help with these things.  And if you notice some improvements/benefits as you make the change to your diet, it can help to encourage you to try to change more things.

• Moderator Emeritus

I keep finding more excellent videos.

This is a very powerful speech made by the 2020 Australian of the Year:

Dr. James Muecke - 'Silent No More: The Barriers to Preventing and Reversing Type 2 Diabetes’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pz0xGtw-wI

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I have reversed my Type 2 diabetes simply by changing what I eat!  And those results are after only three months of very low carb, no fasting (I eat 3 meals a day and as much as I want), and no drugs taken for cholesterol or diabetes.

I have lost 8 kgs / 14 lbs, 5 cm / 2 inches around my waist and my blood pressure has reduced significantly.

HbA1c - NGSP: 

7.0 (diagnosis beginning Oct 2021)

--> 6.4 (follow up test after stopping sugar and processed foods for about 3 days)

--> 5.2       (4.0 - 6.0)

ALT (Liver function):  45 --> 28      (<30)

Total Cholesterol:      7.9 --> 6.0     (3.9 - 5.2 or 5.5)

Triglycerides:             3.0 --> 1.5     (0.5 - 1.7)

HDL:                           ?  --> 1.0        (1.0 - 2.0)

LDL:                            ?  --> 4.3       (1.5 - 3.4)

I developed type 2 diabetes after gaining a lot of weight from SSRIs (Paxil initially). I’ve always had a sweet tooth but while on it I just ate and ate, and especially craved sugar and sweets. I went from a healthy 145 lbs to almost 220 lbs at my highest weight, over the course of about two years. My A1c at its highest was 8.7. I’m happy to say that at my last doctors appt, my A1c was 5.4! And I’m at my lowest weight in years at 185 lbs. I do take metformin. But the main way I lost the weight and was able to get the diabetes under control was to to do the keto diet. Yes, it is a bit extreme, and it’s hard to stick with in the beginning, but it works! And since I’m still in my taper off escitalopram, I’ve modified the diet to be a little more manageable and less stressful on my body. 

But I have to say it’s because of the taper I’m able to lose weight. While on SSRIs not only did I gain weight, I had the hardest time losing weight no matter what I tied! It really f**ed with my self confidence. I’m finally getting back to my “old self.”

So to answer the original question: yes, absolutely antidepressant use can lead to type 2 diabetes. But it doesn’t have to be chronic and progressive. 

2013-2015: paroxetine, with brief switch to sertraline, and brief combo with bupropion  • 2015: got off all antidepressant meds for approx 9-12 months, felt great 2015: fluoxetine, bad side effects, quit after two weeks 2015: escitalopram 15mg/day Summer 2019: attempted fast taper off escitalopram, reinstated to 15mg/day dose after six weeks • October 16, 2020: begin taper off escitalopram at rate of 1mg per 1 week (sometimes per 2 weeks) using 1mg/ml liquid from pharmacy • Jan 22, 2021: down to 3mg and holding due to worsening of WD symptoms • Feb 4, 2021: updose to 4mg holding • Feb 2021: tapering at 10% every 28 days Jul 2021: begin using microtaper of 2.5% per week Feb 2022: down to 1.43mg and experiencing worsening WD symptoms, updose to 1.45mg and holding • Mar 2022: resume microtaper schedule, lowest dose: 1.34 mg • Mar 2022: extended hold at 1.36 mg •Jul 2022: resume 10% taper • Apr 2-Jun 21, 2023 extended hold at 0.5mg • Jun 9, 2023 massive life stress situation triggered WD wave, Jun 15-16 took 5mg dose, Jun 17-21 back to 0.5mg dose • Jun 22 small updose to 0.58mg • Jul 1-2 tried 2.5mg, suffered adverse affects (anxiety, can’t eat, palpitations, electric jolts in chest) • Jul 1, 2023 - Jan 3, 2024 long hold at 1mg, slowly stabilizing after crash • Jan 4 resume taper  0.98mg Jan 11 0.95mg 

Supplements: vitamin D3 with K2, vitamin C, iron, magnesium glycinate, EPA/DHA essentials fish oil, melatonin(as needed)

Other prescription meds: levothyroxine 75 mcg (for hypothyroidism), lorazepam 0.25 to 0.5mg (as needed, which is almost never), zofran 2 to 4mg (as needed) 

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Excellent video explanation of the difference between blood glucose reading and HbA1c.

Youtube video title:  HbA1c Test and What HbA1c Normal Range Means (Channel:  Dr. Sten Ekberg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeGz0VKEGv0

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

This is an excellent short video explaining about glucose and she demonstrates with foam balls which makes it easier to understand:

GLUCOSE IS EVERYWHERE - by Sheryl Fox

10 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

This is an excellent short video explaining about glucose and she demonstrates with foam balls which makes it easier to understand:

GLUCOSE IS EVERYWHERE - by Sheryl Fox

Great video, ChessieCat, thank you!

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Another good Youtube video:

What Is Insulin Resistance? - Dr Sten Ekberg

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

This is an excellent video with some really great tips:

HOW TO AVOID RELAPSING OVER THE HOLIDAYS - by Dr. Robert Cywes

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy