Are We There Yet? How Long Is Withdrawal Going To Take?

brassmonkey

On 7/6/2020 at 4:42 AM, brassmonkey said:

The good news is that their body will sort itself out and they will return to normal.  While this is recovery from a severe adverse reaction and not withdrawal syndrome, the bad news is the post-discontinuation symptoms are a lot like post- acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS), and it’s going to take a long time and there is nothing that will speed up the process.  There are some coping strategies and tools that will help you endure the experience, but time is the only thing that will cure it, and it will take months rather than weeks.

Urgh, this should be changed into "it will take months, maybe even years, rather than weeks." 

I am already 22 months off my reaction, 7 months off all psych drugs. I have made same improvements, but quality of life is still low. Well, miserable sure beats suicidal. So I will say that 2023 has been way better than 2022.

I have read @brassmonkey's insightful post many times and it always gives me hope and perspective. Will keep doing so until I am out of the woods.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Please can someone advise me about exercise, I love to resistance train 3 days a week and go jogging once a week and it really keeps me going, am I going to have to stop this when I start my taper? 

Can I just see how my body reacts to exercise when I start? I really don’t want to give it up it and will be devastated if I have to.

I also have 20g 90% dark chocolate everyday, will I have to give that up too or is the caffeine content negligible, or can I just see how my body reacts too?

Obviously I will have to give it up if WD are bad, but can I at least try keeping them in before I start as opposed to just down right quitting both of them without assessing anything?

Many Thanks.

Sertraline 50mg 10/23 - 27/02/24 , 45mg 27/02/24 , 40.5mg 25/03/24, 36.45mg 12/04/24

Omeprazole 40mg - 09/23 - 01/11/23 - 40/20mg/20mg - 31/01/24 0mg 01/02/24 

Supplements:

Vit D3: 1000 IU - Nov 23 to Present

4000mg Fish Oil (2200mg EPA +DHA) - 26/02/24 -Present

• Administrator

Please use search in the Symptoms in Self-Care forum to see our existing discussions about supplements, exercise, and other aspects of self-care.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy