SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 September ×

Sabbysab: cold turkey off Paxil after 22 years off/on

Sabbysab

I’ve recently CT’d off of Paxil 20mgs - June 2020 My symptoms are extensive: 

anxiety 

intrusive thoughts 

loss of sense of self

ocd 

depression

fatigue 

loss of appetite

intense fear

I’m not sure if this is withdrawal or a return of original symptoms. I’m having a hard time coping however, I feel like getting back on the meds is not an option. The meds provided relief but also had me numbed out. I guess I’m just wanting reassurance. God bless you all. 🙏

Edited by Gridley

November 1998 - Prescribed Paxil 40mgs for postpartum depression/anxiety/some ocd

2014-2016 Discontinued usage 

2016 Started usage 

June 2020 Cold Turkey'd Paxil 40 mgs

September 2020 - Experienced withdrawal symptoms, started Celexa 20 mgs

October 15, 2020 - Reinstated Paxil 40 mgs 

Oct 20 - Jul 22  - Tapered down from 40 mgs with help of Naturopath, this included supplements and exercise. 

Jul 11, 22 - Last dose of Paxil, now the real work begins. 

Aug 01 23 - Panic, anxiety, can't sit still, no feelings of love, insomnia, low appetite, weak feeling, feel like i want to jump out of my skin, can't be around people more than 5-10 minutes, lots of intrusive thoughts, irrational fears.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Sabbysab.

I would say with some confidence that what you're experiencing is withdrawal due to your cold turkey of Paxil.  Withdrawal is common after a cold turkey or fast taper, and the symptoms you describe are very typical of withdrawal.  

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

Brain Remodelling 

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

I know you've said that getting back on the meds is not an option, and of course that is your decision.  However, reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  You're just within the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose.  It is best to reinstate as soon as possible after withdrawal symptoms occur. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when reinstating it is better to start with a small amount and increase if symptoms remain unbearable. Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain. Then, once you've stabilized on the reinstated dosage, which can take several months,  you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

If you decide to reinstate, I suggest reinstating 1mg Paxil--no more.   It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain. We need to see how 1mg affects you.  It may be enough to alleviate withdrawal.  If after a week or so, if you haven't received any relief, it's always possible to very slowly increase the dosage.  The following link explains how to get the 1mg dose you'll need if you decide to reinstate.

Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Aug 26: 4.0mg

Taper is 95% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase, L-Glutamine, milk thistle, choline

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice. It is information based on my own experience as well as that of other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for the quick response Gridley.  

I also did something stupid the other day while having my umpteenth panic attack of the night, in a panic i popped a 20 mg paxil pill and was able to sleep.  I was so ashamed but my spouse was in a panic seeing me in distress which in turn heightened my anxiety/panic even more.

I think I'll have to reinstate to the 1mg, i've really made a mess of myself.  I'm trying to hold it together yet I can't seem to do anything at the moment except obsess and focus on these symptoms.  If im to continue working full time, assist my kids with distance learning and hope to keep my marriage in tact, this is what i'll do. 

Thank you again for your help, i truly appreciate it. 

November 1998 - Prescribed Paxil 40mgs for postpartum depression/anxiety/some ocd

2016 Started usage 

Oct 20 - Jul 22  - Tapered down from 40 mgs with help of Naturopath, this included supplements and exercise. 

Aug 01 23 - Panic, anxiety, can't sit still, no feelings of love, insomnia, low appetite, weak feeling, feel like i want to jump out of my skin, can't be around people more than 5-10 minutes, lots of intrusive thoughts, irrational fears.

• Moderator Emeritus
14 minutes ago, Sabbysab said:

I'm trying to hold it together yet I can't seem to do anything at the moment except obsess and focus on these symptoms.

You're going to make it fine.  Don't kick yourself.  We all make mistakes with these drugs.  I certainly have.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 95% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase, L-Glutamine, milk thistle, choline

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice. It is information based on my own experience as well as that of other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Sabbysab

@Altostrata founder of this site, just posted the following in another member's thread about reinstating  Paxil.

"You may wish to try reinstatement of a very low dose, such as 1mg-2mg.  Paxil stands out as being difficult to go off. It is so difficult, that if you want to try reinstatement, we suggest substituting a very low dose of another drug, such as fluoxetine or citalopram. All three SSRIs come in liquid form for easy titration."

She is very knowledgeable, and Paxil is indeed difficult to go off.  You might want to consider going the route she suggests.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 95% complete.  

Thank you Gridley, i'll contact my doctor about fluoxetine.  I hope she'll be on board. 

2016 Started usage 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sabbysab: cold turkey off Paxil after 22 years off/on
  • Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, Sabbysab said:

i'll contact my doctor about fluoxetine.

Ask her for the liquid Fluoxetine.  That will make it much easier to get your reinstatement dose.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 95% complete.  

• 1 month later...

Bad news Bears, the akathasia, intrusive thoughts, panic attacks etc got unbearable and ended up in the hospital.  I'm now back on 40 mgs of Paxil but still limping along.  I'm so disappointed but i guess it shouldn't be too much of a shock since it was cold turkey. Reinstatement also hasn't been going well, I'm having strange mood swings, some days i'll be okay and others, bad.  Is this typical for reinstatement during withdrawal?

2016 Started usage 

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, Sabbysab said:

I'm now back on 40 mgs of Paxil

You were taking 20mg Paxil in June.  We would have suggested a much lower dose reinstatement, possibly as little at 1mg and probably no more than 5mg.  40mg Paxil seems an excessive dose. 

Q:  How long have you been taking 40mg?

Q:  What are your current symptoms since starting the 40mg Paxil?

If you haven't been taking it for very long you might be able to reduce the dose.

Please read Post #1 of this topic:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

And this one:  Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat) 

Please create your drug signature.  List ALL drugs/supplements, current and previous following these instructions.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature
Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you still in hospital?

Did they give you any other drugs besides Paxil?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hi ChessieCat, 

In June i went CT off of 40 mgs.  I've been on this for 4 weeks but feel pretty crummy, i guess my body is still trying to stabilize.  Should i consider taking 30 mgs instead? I'm having insomnia, headaches, neck pain, teeth hurt if that makes sense.  

I'm out of the hospital now but they tried giving me Abilify which i refused. They did give me a cocktail of i dont know what in the ER and i lost a whole day to sleep from that, i believe it was Ativan. I also took Remeron for two nights and then refused it after that. 

2016 Started usage 

• Administrator

Before we can answer your questions, we need to understand your recent history.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I've updated my signature. 

2016 Started usage 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Sabbysab said:

They did give me a cocktail of i dont know what in the ER

If it was me I would be trying to find out what you were given.  Drug name, dose, dates/times given.

• Administrator

When you posted on November 2, you had already been taking Paxil 40mg for 2 weeks?

How did you feel the first week you reinstated it, from October 15-22? Did it reduce your symptoms?

What time of day (o'clock) do you take it? How do you feel before and after taking it?

As we're about tapering off and you reinstated at full dose, what is your goal here?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 years later...

I reinstated 1 week ago with Paxil 10mgs after 14 months of withdrawal, the last 3 months being the most excruciating with intrusive thoughts, OCD, anxiety, feelings of running away etc. 

Im now dealing with racing thoughts, trouble sleeping. I realize reinstatement is recommended at very low doses but this was a compromise between my psychiatrist, my family and myself. The psych actually recommended upping the dosage to 20mgs after the first dose which I’m avoiding. 
Has anyone else experienced this during restatement? Suggestions? Can I quit the reinstatement? 

2016 Started usage 

Hi Sabby,

I moved your post here as we ask that you keep all of your questions in your introductory thread.

20 hours ago, Sabbysab said:

I reinstated 1 week ago with Paxil 10mgs after 14 months of withdrawal, the last 3 months being the most excruciating with intrusive thoughts, OCD, anxiety, feelings of running away etc. 

Im now dealing with racing thoughts, trouble sleeping. I realize reinstatement is recommended at very low doses but this was a compromise between my psychiatrist, my family and myself. The psych actually recommended upping the dosage to 20mgs after the first dose which I’m avoiding. 

How are you feeling post-reinstatement versus the three months beforehand? Better? Worse?

Pre- October 2022: Wellbutrin, Escitalopram, CitalopramSertraline, Adderall IR, Vyvanse, Propranolol, Buspar, Ativan, and Latuda

Oct 13, 2022 - Oct 24, 2022 and Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Zyprexa (2.5 mg). Jan 14, 2023 -> Began transition to liquid suspension. Jan 29, 2023 = 2.375mg -> Feb 12, 2023 = 2.25mg -> Feb 27, 2023 = 2.14mg -> Mar 12, 2023 = 2.025mg -> Mar 27, 2023 = 1.93mg -> Apr 10, 2023 = 1.82mg -> Apr 23, 2023 = 1.74mg -> May 7, 2023 = 1.64mg -> May 21, 2023 = 1.56mg -> June 4, 2023 = 1.48mg -> June 19, 2023 = 1.4mg -> July 2, 2023 = 1.33mg -> July 16, 2023 = 1.26mg -> July 31, 2023 = 1.2mg -> Aug 13, 2023 = 1.14mg -> Aug 27, 2023 = 1.08mg -> Sep 13, 2023 = 1.02mg -> Jan 22, 2024 = 0.97mg -> Feb 4, 2024 = 0.92mg -> Feb 19, 2024 = 0.87mg -> Mar 3, 2024 = 0.83mg -> Mar 17, 2024 = 0.78mg -> Mar 31, 2024 = 0.74mg -> Apr 14, 2024 = 0.7mg -> Apr 28, 2024 = 0.66mg -> May 12, 2024 = 0.63mg -> May 27, 2024 = 0.6mg -> June 9, 2024 = 0.57mg -> June 24, 2024 = 0.54mg -> July 6, 2024 = 0.51mg -> July 21, 2024 = 0.48mg -> Aug 6, 2024 = 0.455mg -> Aug 20, 2024 = 0.43mg

Oct 14, 2022 - Present: Prozac (40mg) upped from 20mg on Nov 1, 2022.

Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Gabapentin (300mg 3x day) -> May 3, 2023 = 300mg 2x day -> Oct 1, 2023 = 570mg -> Oct 15, 2023 = 540mg -> Oct 29, 2023 = 510mg -> Nov 13, 2023 = 484mg -> Nov 27, 2023 = 460mg -> Dec 9, 2023 = 436mg -> Dec 24, 2023 = 414mg -> Jan 7, 2024 = 400mg

Reduced anxiety but my sleep is horrible and racing thoughts are bothering me. I didn’t have this prior. 

2016 Started usage