Beate: reinstating after 9 months prozac free what to do now??

Beate

Hi,, thank you for any help you may give me, I took Prozac 5 mgs for 8 years for hot flushes and insomnia after breast cancer, reduced dose  by leaving longer intervals around last Christmas 2019 and Jan. 2020 then stopped Feb. 2020, did  not feel well for many months, but OK, took two doses of Prozac of 2.0 mls four weeks apart, not sure why??  August and September, then regretted it and not took any more..... but mid Oct. was faced with terrible migraines, which did not stop and scalp burning, freaked out, GP offered Amitryptylline which I did not want to take, so reintroduced prozac 0.1 mls daily, which after a few days settled headaches, took 0.1 mls daily in oct. and nov. found it terribly sedating,  and gave me tummy aches and feeling spaced out, thought it was probably a bad mistake, reduced to 0.1 mls daily down to 6 days, then 0.1. mls 5 days a week, in Dec. now ok'ish, still burning sides of scalp but can live with it, should I wait then reduce by 10% per month, or did I come down again too fast, as I have side effects again and withdrawal I guess all mixed in, please advise, thank you so much, just watched the discussion re film Medicating Normal via Alto's Happy Year wishes, feel I am not alone, all good wishes Annette/Beate

Edited by Shep
changed from italics to regular font
  • manymoretodays changed the title to Beate: reinstating after 9 months prozac free what to do now??
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Beate.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

Tips for tapering off fluoxetine (Prozac)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in setting up a safe taper plan.