Jess0717: Sertraline Withdrawal

Jess0717

Hello,

I am new to this forum and looking for some support. I started Sertraline August 2019 after the birth of my son I developed terrible anxiety. In the beginning the medication was great but about a month after I started taking it I started to develop brain parathesis in the part of my brain where the medication is working. It made me feel very uncomfortable and December 15 was my last dose of Sertraline. The first week coming off the medication I felt great but then the symptoms started these terrible “brain zaps” and just recently headache and fatigue. The “brain zaps” scare me and today I am just feeling hopeless, I keep reading 4-6 weeks for withdrawal symptoms but the “brain zaps” are very terrifying. I am just wondering if others have experienced the same withdrawal symptoms and how long they lasted 

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post and providing support 

• manymoretodays changed the title to Jess0717: Sertraline Withdrawal
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Jess0717

Brain zaps are classic withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms can last a lot longer than 4-6 weeks, and get worse. Did you go off sertraline abruptly? How much were you taking?

If I were you, I'd immediately get a prescription for liquid sertraline and take 1mg. Even this low amount can help relieve your withdrawal symptoms. You can taper off it by tiny amounts later.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.