JAV1: In Withdrawal Since Dec

Jav1

I took 30mg Mirtazapine from Dec 2019-Nov 2020. This wasprescribed by my 2nd pscyh to wean me off of Clonazepam and Alprazolam which I took for about a month! Was not told by 1st psych is was only to be taken as needed and for 2 weeks only!

Anyway from aug to early Nov I tapered bu taking 15mg daily for 30 days then 15mg every other day (30tabs). I felt fine after taking the last dose. Only complaint was slight headache. Then on Dec 9 I had a stressful day at work and had an anxiety attack! And basically I have been in withdrawal hell since. I have burning head, tingling (sometimes burning skin) on my back, buttocks and legs and daily anxiety.

Edited by manymoretodays
name and lower case letters to title, tag

Nov 10 - Dec 10, 2019 - Clonazepam & Alprazolam

Dec 2019 - Aug 2, 2020 - 30mg Mirtazapine

Aug 3, 2020 - Sept 2020 - 15 mg Mirtazapine

Sept - Nov 2020 - 15 mg Mirtazapine every other day

Supplements: B Complex, Magnesium, Fish Oil, Multivit, Q10, Vit D, Vit C

• manymoretodays changed the title to JAV1: In Withdrawal Since Dec
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello 

And welcome on SA. 

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved.

--》 I understand that you've given the infos above but could you please create a drug signature ? Please include drugs, dates, discontinuations. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can, and allow us to see your history at a glance.

This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

And I'm sorry for what you are going through : unfortunately doctors don't seem to realise how powerful these drugs can be, and don't recognise withdrawal syndrome.

You are describing very common withdrawal symptoms from a too fast taper.
We usually recommend our members to do very slow tapers (no more than 10% drops every 4-6 weeks) and to never skip a dose to taper a psychdrug.

This might help you to understand what is happening :

On 8/30/2011 at 9:28 PM, Rhiannon :

"When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long."

On 3/1/2021 at 7:25 AM, JAV1 said:

I have been in withdrawal hell since. I have burning head, tingling (sometimes burning skin) on my back, buttocks and legs and daily anxiety.

The only way we know to mitigate withdrawal syndrome is reinstatement. However, it has to be done carefully : please take a read at this thread and let us know your thoughts before doing any change : 

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms

We also strongly recommend our members to learn non drug coping skills to deal with emotionnal symptoms. You might be intesrested by these threads : 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Again, welcome.
Hang on, it really can get better :) 

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.