Ebee12058: trying to decide if should reinstate or forge on with withdrawal

Ebee12058

I was on lexipro for 20 years for moderate anxiety. Around 8 years ago, I realized I wasn't enjoying things like I used to. Flash forward to October 2019, I was so blunted I couldn't enjoy/experience anything. I stopped lexipro cold turkey, & immediately experienced horrible anxiety like I'd never had. The anxiety only lasted a few days, but I began to feel increasingly apathetic & very, very tired in the months to follow. I started Wellbutrin in May of 2020, which 

took away my withdrawl depressive symptoms, but made my anxiety go through the roof. I stopped Wellbutrin with no problems, & started Buspar for my anxiety in December 2020. I only took Buspar for 2 1/2 weeks before the extreme blunting happened. I stopped cold turkey bc the blunting is just so awful. The spiraling depression & anxiety after stopping was debilitating. I was unable to get off the couch & didn't think I was going to make it. I contemplated suicide. The chemicals in my brain were so imbalanced I couldnt function. I reinstated buspar & tapered from 5mg to .625mg in a month, even though my doctor said my dose was low enough that I didn't need to taper at all. Once stopping, I experienced cycling anxiety & depression again, although not nearly as bad. I went to my PCP & a psychiatrist for help with the withdrawl symptoms, but they both just said it was "highly unusual" to have such a horrible reaction to Buspar, & that "it was probably my own anxiety' or I was "bipolar." I've never experienced bipolar symptoms in my life, or these tidal waves of anxiety & depression. Ever. It is very uncomfortable, & debilitating at times, although exercise & changing my diet has helped a lot. My question, or difficulty, is that to reinstate & taper by 10%, I would experience the horrible, awful blunting for a long time. And honestly, the blunting is worse than the withdrawl. I feel NOTHING. Watching tv or reading my favorite book or talking to my husband is like watching paint dry. Worse. But I worry that if I don't reinstate, my withdrawl symptoms, which are miserable, will stick around for years. And I also worry that any progress I have made in the month I've been completely off Buspar, will be lost. Or that the reinstatement will exacerbate my already awful anxiety & depression withdrawl symptoms.

2004-2012 Lexipro 15 mg (CT'd 4 times during this period. Not sure exact dates).

Dec 2014-June 2017 Lexipro 15 mg CT WD agitation, Anhedonia from kindling while taking Feb 2018-Oct 2019 Lexipro 15mg, more severe Anhedonia while taking, CT WD depression May 2020- Sept 2020 Wellbutrin 300mg, OCD, anxiety, while taking, CT, WD anxiety, depression Dec 2020 Wellbutrin 150mg 3 days stop CT WD anxiety, depression, suicidal durations (seemed to stop once drug out system)

Dec 2020 Buspirone 10mg 2.5 weeks, extreme severe Anhedonia while taking, Anhedonia stopped once stopped buspirone, WD cycling anxiety, depression, suicidal ideations Jan 2021 Reinstated Buspirone 5mg 1 month, tapered from 5mg to 1.25mg, experienced severe Anhedonia while taking, WD anxiety, depression, hyperarousal, photophobia, headaches, hyperacusis, early waking.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Ebee.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

I'm glad you did your research and found this site because you're right - you're not bipolar, you're going through withdrawal. Your symptoms are perfectly normal for withdrawal. 

Here is the reinstatement thread and some information on tapering Buspar. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off buspirone (Buspar)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Before recommending a withdrawal dose or providing more guidance, it will help to have a signature set up so we have a better timeline of your previous drugs and withdrawals. 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in reinstating and provide other information, as well. 

• Shep changed the title to Ebee12058: Trying to Decide if Should Reinstate or Forge On with Withdrawal

Hi Shep, thank you so much for responding & for the information. I'm in such a bad place right now. I was managing my wd anxiety with exercise, but I decided to take a rest day from exercise, & have had plummeting depression ever since. Exercise helps my anxiety, but seems to make my depression symptoms worse. I've tried sitting in the sun, but it hasn't seemed to help. I feel hopeless. I've read the success stories, & I don't know if I can handle this for years. Suicide floats around in my subconscious. Prior to this, I suffered a psychotic break on Wellbutrin that lasted almost a year. I'm so tired. And if it weren't for my faith, my husband, my animals, & best friends, I don't think I'd have made it this far. But it's only been 6 weeks, & I can't imagine doing this for years. Please help. Do you know of anything that can ease depression symptoms? I can't stop crying, & I feel so hopeless & nothing interests me.

2004-2012 Lexipro 15 mg (CT'd 4 times during this period. Not sure exact dates).

Dec 2014-June 2017 Lexipro 15 mg CT WD agitation, Anhedonia from kindling while taking Feb 2018-Oct 2019 Lexipro 15mg, more severe Anhedonia while taking, CT WD depression May 2020- Sept 2020 Wellbutrin 300mg, OCD, anxiety, while taking, CT, WD anxiety, depression Dec 2020 Wellbutrin 150mg 3 days stop CT WD anxiety, depression, suicidal durations (seemed to stop once drug out system)

Dec 2020 Buspirone 10mg 2.5 weeks, extreme severe Anhedonia while taking, Anhedonia stopped once stopped buspirone, WD cycling anxiety, depression, suicidal ideations Jan 2021 Reinstated Buspirone 5mg 1 month, tapered from 5mg to 1.25mg, experienced severe Anhedonia while taking, WD anxiety, depression, hyperarousal, photophobia, headaches, hyperacusis, early waking.

I recently stopped 10mg/day of buspirone cold turkey in December 2020 after taking for 2.5 weeks. Huge mistake.

I suffered severe cycling anxiety & depression with intense suicidal ideations. I reinstated on January 4, 2021 at 5mg & tapered down to .625mg twice a day in a month. Then I stopped my taper bc I couldn't get the pill any smaller. This was before I found this forum & discovered making your own liquid compound. The quick taper did help, as my symptoms are less severe, although still extremely debilitating. My question is, it's been almost 6 weeks since I stopped my quick taper, & my CNS is EXTREMELY sensative to everything: I can't have dairy bc the casein causes me to immediately feel depressed, my brain feels tired, and I start to feel depressed if I try to read or sometimes even watch tv (this feels somewhat similar to when I had a concussion years ago), if I feel depressed & exercise, it makes me feel 1000 times worse. Then there's the screaming anxiety I gave whenever I'm not deeply depressed, which demands that I exercise daily & causes extreme sensitivity to light & sound so I walk around my house with sunglasses. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells around my brain. And so I'm wondering if reinstating Buspirone now, when my CNS is so fragile, could be harmful & cause more damage? But my withdrawl symptoms are so severe, I don't know what to do.

• Administrator

Welcome, Ebee.

It sounds like you have had an unusually difficult time with going off buspirone. Have you considered reinstating perhaps 0.5mg for a while to let your nervous system settle down, then tapering off later?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to Ebee12058 Is my CNS too fried to successfully reinstate Buspar?
  • Administrator

@Ebee12058, please do not start new Introductions topics, put your questions about your situation in this topic.

When answering your Saturday, March 20 post, I had not seen your earlier posts. Given the effect buspirone had on you, I might try 0.25mg rather than 0.5mg.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Feeling anxiety & depression even out after starting omega 3 regimen. My question to those who use omega 3's is, do you feel a rush of happiness or good mood after taking? I do, and am trying to discern if it's the drug making me feel this way, or the omega 3 is making my brain less inflamed, & thus my own, natural dopamine is working properly? I think it's the former, but I hope it's the latter. Also, to those who have experienced an elevation if mood due to omega 3, does it lessen with time as you take it? I'm finding this to possibly be the case for me.

Find that both Magnesium & Omega 3's very activating for me. Has anyone tried chamomile or kava root or baking powder tonic to help ease anxiety? I'm looking for something that will give me relief without interfering with my recovery.

13 minutes ago, Ebee12058 said:

Find that both Magnesium & Omega 3's very activating for me. Has anyone tried chamomile or kava root or baking powder tonic to help ease anxiety? I'm looking for something that will give me relief without interfering with my recovery.

I am having good results with essential lavender oil. Buy organic quality and put 2-3 drops in a glass of water. I get positive results in 15-20 minutes. I take it only when needed. Sometimes I take 4 drops when anxiety is more extreme. No side effects in my case. Gives me real relief.

1993    Anafranil (Clomipramine) for a few months. Later in 1993 Paxil for a few months 1993- 2006      No medication

2006   Effexor, Cymbalta, some Benzo’s. All for short periods. Later in 2006 Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 mg and shortly after Wellbutrin XR 150mg, against side effects Lexapro 

Since 2006 until end of 2015: Several times on and off Lexapro and Wellbutrin and several slight dosage changes. Mostly taken dosages: 5mg Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin

2016  Dosage change Lexapro from 5mg to 2,5 mg. Wellbutrin stayed om 150mg

November 2016 – April 2017 Down from 2,5mg to 0,6mg Lexapro (in steps) without much problems. Wellbutrin down from 150mg to 66mg. Also without much problems.

April 2017 – March 2019       Lexapro 0,6 mg        April 2017 - August 2018       Wellbutrin in small steps down from 66mg in to 37,5 mg . Quite heavy WD after each step.

March 2019 – May 2019 Lexapro down from 0,6 to 0,3mg then Prozac to 0,6 mg switch because severe discontinuation effects (may also have been from Wellbutrin..)    

Wellbutrin down from 37,5mg to 35,3mg 

October 2019        Seroquel 12,5 mg for 4 weeks because of extreme sleeping problems, then weaning off in 2 weeks       Prozac up dosage to 1,2 mg

March 2020     Wellbutrin in 2 steps down from 35,3mg to 33,3mg   Extreme withdrawal effects during 8 months. Stopped tapering Wellbutrin  until total off Prozac. 

February 2020 – November 2020   Prozac down in steps from 1,2mg to 0,57mg. 

Jan 2021  Prozac down to:  0,55> 0,53>0,51mg,   Feb 0,47mg ,  Mar 0,42mg,   Apr 0,37, longer hold because of WD symptoms July 0,36 and hold again, Sept 19 0,35, Sept 26 0,34mg, Oct 3 0,33mg  Long hold of 172 days until March 2022

January 20, 2022:  Wellbutrin from 33,3 to 32,3mg

March 22, 2022 Prozac down from 0,33mg to: 0,30mg, Apr 0,29, May 0,28, 0,27, June 0,26, 0,25, July 0,24, 0,23, 0,22, 0,21, Aug 0,20, 0,19 Sep 0,18, Oct 0,17. 0,16, 0,15, Nov 0,14  Jan 2023 0,13, 0,12, 0,11  Feb 0,10, 0,09 Mar 0,08 ,  June 0,07 , July 0,06,  0,05, Aug 0,04, 0,03, Sept 0,026, 0,024 Nov 0,022, 0,019, 0,016, 0,013 Dec 0,012, 0,011, 0,010, 0,009   Jan 2024 0,008, 0,007,  0,006,  0,005, 0,004, 0,003, 0,002, 0,001, Feb  0,0007.  0,0005,   0,0003, 0,0001,  

Feb 23, 2024:  0,00000

Wellbutrin resume tapering: Apr 2024 31,6mg, 30,8, 30

Supplements: Fish Oil (3000mg), Magnesium 100 mg, 2 drops of Lavender Oil, only when feeling extreme anxiety. 50mg of L-Theanine only when severe discontinuation effects caused by Wellbutrin

Please note this is NOT a medical advice. Discuss all your medical issues with a doctor who understands psychical drugs and really knows how to withdraw from them. I wish that you will find one.

10 minutes ago, Go2zero said:

I am having good results with essential lavender oil. Buy organic quality and put 2-3 drops in a glass of water. I get positive results in 15-20 minutes. I take it only when needed. Sometimes I take 4 drops when anxiety is more extreme. No side effects in my case. Gives me real relief.

Go2Zero, Thank you so much for your response. I will definitely give essential lavender oil a try. ☺ I see you also use L-theanine for WD. What symptoms do you find this helpful for? Do you have any side effects? I tried L-theanine once, & it seemed to make my depressive symptoms worse. But I might give another try.

3 minutes ago, Ebee12058 said:

I see you also use L-theanine for WD. What symptoms do you find this helpful for? Do you have any side effects? I tried L-theanine once, & it seemed to make my depressive symptoms worse. But I might give another try.

I have used L-Theanine only during tapering of Wellbutrin (bupropion). This is not a SSRI. It works mainly on dopamine. When I was tapering Wellbutrin (whilst also still on a SSRI) I had extreme withdrawal. I found relief for this in taking L-Theanine now and then (when needed, not daily). I sometimes combined it with caffeine. 

I do not have the impression that is helps me with the SSRI I am tapering right now. So I do not take it right now. 

1993    Anafranil (Clomipramine) for a few months. Later in 1993 Paxil for a few months 1993- 2006      No medication

2006   Effexor, Cymbalta, some Benzo’s. All for short periods. Later in 2006 Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 mg and shortly after Wellbutrin XR 150mg, against side effects Lexapro 

Since 2006 until end of 2015: Several times on and off Lexapro and Wellbutrin and several slight dosage changes. Mostly taken dosages: 5mg Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin

November 2016 – April 2017 Down from 2,5mg to 0,6mg Lexapro (in steps) without much problems. Wellbutrin down from 150mg to 66mg. Also without much problems.

April 2017 – March 2019       Lexapro 0,6 mg        April 2017 - August 2018       Wellbutrin in small steps down from 66mg in to 37,5 mg . Quite heavy WD after each step.

March 2019 – May 2019 Lexapro down from 0,6 to 0,3mg then Prozac to 0,6 mg switch because severe discontinuation effects (may also have been from Wellbutrin..)    

October 2019        Seroquel 12,5 mg for 4 weeks because of extreme sleeping problems, then weaning off in 2 weeks       Prozac up dosage to 1,2 mg

March 2020     Wellbutrin in 2 steps down from 35,3mg to 33,3mg   Extreme withdrawal effects during 8 months. Stopped tapering Wellbutrin  until total off Prozac. 

Jan 2021  Prozac down to:  0,55> 0,53>0,51mg,   Feb 0,47mg ,  Mar 0,42mg,   Apr 0,37, longer hold because of WD symptoms July 0,36 and hold again, Sept 19 0,35, Sept 26 0,34mg, Oct 3 0,33mg  Long hold of 172 days until March 2022

March 22, 2022 Prozac down from 0,33mg to: 0,30mg, Apr 0,29, May 0,28, 0,27, June 0,26, 0,25, July 0,24, 0,23, 0,22, 0,21, Aug 0,20, 0,19 Sep 0,18, Oct 0,17. 0,16, 0,15, Nov 0,14  Jan 2023 0,13, 0,12, 0,11  Feb 0,10, 0,09 Mar 0,08 ,  June 0,07 , July 0,06,  0,05, Aug 0,04, 0,03, Sept 0,026, 0,024 Nov 0,022, 0,019, 0,016, 0,013 Dec 0,012, 0,011, 0,010, 0,009   Jan 2024 0,008, 0,007,  0,006,  0,005, 0,004, 0,003, 0,002, 0,001, Feb  0,0007.  0,0005,   0,0003, 0,0001,  

Supplements: Fish Oil (3000mg), Magnesium 100 mg, 2 drops of Lavender Oil, only when feeling extreme anxiety. 50mg of L-Theanine only when severe discontinuation effects caused by Wellbutrin

Please note this is NOT a medical advice. Discuss all your medical issues with a doctor who understands psychical drugs and really knows how to withdraw from them. I wish that you will find one.

1 minute ago, Go2zero said:

I have used L-Theanine only during tapering of Wellbutrin (bupropion). This is not a SSRI. It works mainly on dopamine. When I was tapering Wellbutrin (whilst also still on a SSRI) I had extreme withdrawal. I found relief for this in taking L-Theanine now and then (when needed, not daily). I sometimes combined it with caffeine. 

I do not have the impression that is helps me with the SSRI I am tapering right now. So I do not take it right now. 

Oh, okay. I'm mostly looking for things to calm my anxiety from quick tapering buspirone. So perhaps just the lavender oil for now. Thanks for your help. ☺

My integrative psych gave me Theanine to take some months ago, but I decided I was taking too my supplements and stopped before I gave it much of a chance. But I'm continuing to take Inositol powder for anxiety. The doctor suggested putting 4 tps a day in water and sipping it throughout the day. The trouble is I've been inconsistent with that regimen. I'm going to try harder to keep to his schedule and see what happens, if anything.

Fluoxetine 1997-2014, 2015, 10-40 mg. GAD and DR symptoms returned  April 2013.

Bupropion 2013-14, 4 mos; Lexapro 2014; Cymbalta 2014. Gabapentin 2014; Mirtazapene 2014. Buspirone 2015.

Venlafaxine Dec. 2015 – May 2019, 150 mg, tapered to 0 in 3 weeks, May-June 2019

Bupropion Mar 2017 – July 2019 300 mg, tapered to 0 in 3 weeks, July 2019

Fluoxetine/Prozac May 2019 – present, tapered from 20 mg started Jan 2020, linear 10% every 4 wks.; tapered 6 to 4 mg June, 2, 2020; 4 to 1.8 mg Aug. 26, 2020; updose from 1.8 mg to 2.0 Nov. 16, 2020. Holding at 2.0 mg as of Mar 14,2021. April 14, 2021 updosed to 2.5 mg.

D3 2,000 mg; Omega 3 360 EPA/240 DHA; Magnesium Chelate 250 mg; Inositol powder started Nov 12, 2020; Theanine 400 mg; cranial electrotherapy stimulation device, self-treatments started Mar 14, 2021.

Ebee I am feeling in a similar situation. I haven’t found anything to help yet, but I’d like to just say I’m going through the exact same thing! Crushing waves of depression and anxiety. Feels unbearable most of the day. Every day. It only started for me on March 9 this year when I cut my Wellbutrin in half, from 300mg to 150mg. I had been on it for years just to treat my very mild depression. I was leaving for a work trip the day I cut it, and started having panic attacks that would last hours. I was stuck in my hotel room. After a couple days I saw an out of state urgent care doctor. She prescribed me buspar and told me to keep my Wellbutrin at the same half dose I was taking. I took 2.5mg buspar the first 8 days (which did help get me out of the hotel room a bit). Then I took 5mg the next 6 days, but now nothing was working and I was having crushing depression cycles that pretty much lasted all day. This is so out of character for me. I finally got home but wasn’t able to get in to see my psychiatrist. Desperate I went to urgent care again but in my home town. She told me to take 2 Benadryl (50mg) and go to sleep and to see my primary care doctor. When I got in to see my primary, she told me to stop taking the buspar, and I didn’t need to taper because it was such a “tiny” dose. She initially tried to prescribe me some SSRI’s but I told her no. I’m just way too scared to get WD from anything else! So instead she told me to go back to taking 300mg bupropion which I did promptly. This was just last Thursday March 25. But I’ve barely had a second of relief from debilitating depression and anxiety unlike anything I’ve ever experienced in my life. Like you I found that exercise makes it worse, at least in the short term. I’m terrified too. I had an extremely important work meeting on Friday night, and was able to power through by taking Benadryl again. But still, I am scared to take anything else that can mess with my CNS! But when it gets so bad, I don’t know what else to do. Especially with my demanding job, which I normally love, but now I just can’t function at all when it’s at its worst. Like you nothing helps. Can’t watch TV, can’t listen to music, normally my husband and my puppies are a giant comfort to me but that doesn’t help. Exercise doesn’t help. I just read your advice on omega 3s and magnesium and just took some. Not sure if it’s coincidence or that actually worked, but feeling a tiny bit of relief right now. So thank you for that and sharing your story. I couldn’t relate any more!!!

2012: prescribed 150mg Wellbutrin for mild high-functioning depression, & 5mg alprazolam as needed for social anxiety. 

2013-2016: increased to 300mg Wellbutrin, and eventually 425mg daily. [Only took the Alprazolam periodically, usually 1 or 2x per wk as needed].

Fall 2016: weaned off the meds entirely. Mild depression symptoms came back; went back on Wellbutrin, slowly building back up to 300mg.

Fall 2016-March 2020: long alternating periods between 150mg and 300mg Wellbutrin with a taper week in between. Never noticed an issue when going back and forth. [Took the alprazolam significantly less in this period, maybe 2x per month]

2020: 300mg Wellbutrin. [Didn’t take my Alprazolam except maybe 1 or 2x all year.] 
Late Dec 2020 to Mid-Feb 2021: started back on 150mg Wellbutrin after accidentally missing 1 or 2 doses around the holidays.
Mid-Feb to March 8: ramp back up to 300mg Wellbutrin with a week of alternating doses in between.
March 9 to March 25: straight to 150mg Wellbutrin. Wd symptoms start that first night March 9
March 26-today: 300mg Wellbutrin once daily in the morning. No relief but early still.

Experiencing not only anxiety, but more obsessive/OCD thinking after taking Magnesium Taurate. I experienced this as well when I took Wellbutrin. Has anyone else had this reaction? I've tried researching online, but have found nothing. I was hoping the anxiety was just from having a magnesium deficiency & planned to take very low doses. But the obsessive thoughts I can't tolerate.

15 hours ago, Edmunds said:

My integrative psych gave me Theanine to take some months ago, but I decided I was taking too my supplements and stopped before I gave it much of a chance. But I'm continuing to take Inositol powder for anxiety. The doctor suggested putting 4 tps a day in water and sipping it throughout the day. The trouble is I've been inconsistent with that regimen. I'm going to try harder to keep to his schedule and see what happens, if anything.

Edmunds, thank you for your reply. I'll look into Inositol. I'm hesitant to take anything that affects seretonin & dopamine directly bc I've had paradoxical reactions to so many things. Last night I drank 1 cup of chamomile tea & had raging anxiety all night. My brain is so unpredictable right now. But maybe I'll give it a shot.

8 minutes ago, Ebee12058 said:

I'm hesitant to take anything that affects seretonin & dopamine directly bc I've had paradoxical reactions to so many things. Last night I drank 1 cup of chamomile tea & had raging anxiety all night. My brain is so unpredictable right now. But maybe I'll give it a shot.

L-Theanine what we discussed in this thread works directly on dopamine. 5HTP is also used by some people in WD. This works directly on serotonin. So both not to be recommended in your case I guess.

The lavender essential oil does not work on serotonin or dopamine. But it can lower anxiety fast. As far as I know, there are no serious reasons for not trying it. Worse case is that is does not help....

54 minutes ago, Go2zero said:

L-Theanine what we discussed in this thread works directly on dopamine. 5HTP is also used by some people in WD. This works directly on serotonin. So both not to be recommended in your case I guess.

The lavender essential oil does not work on serotonin or dopamine. But it can lower anxiety fast. As far as I know, there are no serious reasons for not trying it. Worse case is that is does not help....

Thanks Go2Zero. I'm definitely trying the lavender essential oil. Fingers crossed it works for me. You say you use 2-3 drops in a glass of water. Do you breath it in, or drink the water? I know generally you breath it in, but I've read that some drink it.

2 minutes ago, Ebee12058 said:

Thanks Go2Zero. I'm definitely trying the lavender essential oil. Fingers crossed it works for me. You say you use 2-3 drops in a glass of water. Do you breath it in, or drink the water? I know generally you breath it in, but I've read that some drink it.

You should drink it. The first time I heard about this, I hardly could believe that one should drink essential oil. I only knew it for use in vaporizing it, putting it on a pillow or mixing it with massage oil.

I did some research on it and found that drinking it is used often. There are also pills (capsules) on the market which contain this oil, to treat anxiety and restlessness. But I prefer the drops. It can be dosed much more specific for your own purpose and need. And probably it is cheaper too. I do suggest to buy organic quality only. Normally organic essential lavender oil does not have any additives.

I put 2-3 drops in a glass of water and take a few sips. Normally I do not drink the whole glass at once. Only when I have a very high level of anxiety.

Depending on the level of anxiety I sometimes take 4 drops. But most times 2-3 drops are enough. I get relief from it in 15-20 minutes. If not, I take some extra sips from the glass.

7 minutes ago, Go2zero said:

You should drink it. The first time I heard about this, I hardly could believe that one should drink essential oil. I only knew it for use in vaporizing it, putting it on a pillow or mixing it with massage oil.

I did some research on it and found that drinking it is used often. There are also pills (capsules) on the market which contain this oil, to treat anxiety and restlessness. But I prefer the drops. It can be dosed much more specific for your own purpose and need. And probably it is cheaper too. I do suggest to buy organic quality only. Normally organic essential lavender oil does not have any additives.

I put 2-3 drops in a glass of water and take a few sips. Normally I do not drink the whole glass at once. Only when I have a very high level of anxiety.

Depending on the level of anxiety I sometimes take 4 drops. But most times 2-3 drops are enough. I get relief from it in 15-20 minutes. If not, I take some extra sips from the glass.

Okay. I will try it. Thank you so much. Nothing has worked for me, & I'm desperate to find something to help.

1 hour ago, Ebee12058 said:

Okay. I will try it. Thank you so much. Nothing has worked for me, & I'm desperate to find something to help.

I really wish and pray for you that it will help. We are all different, so let's see what it will bring for you.

I tried also many things against anxiety. The only thing that worked for me was valium. But I don't want to use benzo's or other meds. Then I discovered the lavender oil. And it works as good as valium on me! But without the side effects and risks.

Maybe I said it before; just take when needed. It works very fast.

Please share your experience here. May be interesting for other members.

19 hours ago, Sidesteppinlandmines said:

Ebee I am feeling in a similar situation. I haven’t found anything to help yet, but I’d like to just say I’m going through the exact same thing! Crushing waves of depression and anxiety. Feels unbearable most of the day. Every day. It only started for me on March 9 this year when I cut my Wellbutrin in half, from 300mg to 150mg. I had been on it for years just to treat my very mild depression. I was leaving for a work trip the day I cut it, and started having panic attacks that would last hours. I was stuck in my hotel room. After a couple days I saw an out of state urgent care doctor. She prescribed me buspar and told me to keep my Wellbutrin at the same half dose I was taking. I took 2.5mg buspar the first 8 days (which did help get me out of the hotel room a bit). Then I took 5mg the next 6 days, but now nothing was working and I was having crushing depression cycles that pretty much lasted all day. This is so out of character for me. I finally got home but wasn’t able to get in to see my psychiatrist. Desperate I went to urgent care again but in my home town. She told me to take 2 Benadryl (50mg) and go to sleep and to see my primary care doctor. When I got in to see my primary, she told me to stop taking the buspar, and I didn’t need to taper because it was such a “tiny” dose. She initially tried to prescribe me some SSRI’s but I told her no. I’m just way too scared to get WD from anything else! So instead she told me to go back to taking 300mg bupropion which I did promptly. This was just last Thursday March 25. But I’ve barely had a second of relief from debilitating depression and anxiety unlike anything I’ve ever experienced in my life. Like you I found that exercise makes it worse, at least in the short term. I’m terrified too. I had an extremely important work meeting on Friday night, and was able to power through by taking Benadryl again. But still, I am scared to take anything else that can mess with my CNS! But when it gets so bad, I don’t know what else to do. Especially with my demanding job, which I normally love, but now I just can’t function at all when it’s at its worst. Like you nothing helps. Can’t watch TV, can’t listen to music, normally my husband and my puppies are a giant comfort to me but that doesn’t help. Exercise doesn’t help. I just read your advice on omega 3s and magnesium and just took some. Not sure if it’s coincidence or that actually worked, but feeling a tiny bit of relief right now. So thank you for that and sharing your story. I couldn’t relate any more!!!

Sidesteppinlandmines, I'm so sorry you are also feeling this way! It's been 7 weeks for me. (Which compared to a lot of people on here, is not long). Surviving Antidepressants recommends taking Omega 3's (fish oil... A lot of people I see on here take about 300-30000mg/day) and Magnessium Glycinate (not oxide bc your body has a hard time absorbing) about 300mg/day. Start out with 1/4 of the recommended bottle dose to see how your body reacts. They are usually calming. For some reason, they both make me more anxious, but that is rare. Go2Zero recommended drinking about 2-3 drops of organic essential lavender oil stirred in a glass of water. Just drink a couple gulps- not the whole thing. It has worked for me so far, & my anxiety was really bad today. I hope these things help you. These horrible drugs doctors prescribe are so dangerous. Lexipro gave me anhedonia (the loss of all positive emotions) so that I was constantly stopping & starting the drug. When I was on it, I felt nothing, but off it, I had tons of anxiety or depression. I didn't realize my anxiety & depression were from withdrawl. And now that I do realize it, my doctors don't believe me. They think these crazy surges of anxiety & depression are just me. It's really frustrating- not that they could do much to help me at this point anyway. I will pray that your symptoms lessen,& do not last long.

Thank you so much for the advice and support!! I will pray for you too. This is so criminal what the pharma companies are doing. Crimes against humanity! But yeah so far my doc doesn’t believe it’s withdrawals but just my own anxiety/depression. There’s no way. This is completely outside of me.

2012: prescribed 150mg Wellbutrin for mild high-functioning depression, & 5mg alprazolam as needed for social anxiety. 

2013-2016: increased to 300mg Wellbutrin, and eventually 425mg daily. [Only took the Alprazolam periodically, usually 1 or 2x per wk as needed].

Fall 2016: weaned off the meds entirely. Mild depression symptoms came back; went back on Wellbutrin, slowly building back up to 300mg.

Fall 2016-March 2020: long alternating periods between 150mg and 300mg Wellbutrin with a taper week in between. Never noticed an issue when going back and forth. [Took the alprazolam significantly less in this period, maybe 2x per month]

2020: 300mg Wellbutrin. [Didn’t take my Alprazolam except maybe 1 or 2x all year.] 
Late Dec 2020 to Mid-Feb 2021: started back on 150mg Wellbutrin after accidentally missing 1 or 2 doses around the holidays.
Mid-Feb to March 8: ramp back up to 300mg Wellbutrin with a week of alternating doses in between.
March 9 to March 25: straight to 150mg Wellbutrin. Wd symptoms start that first night March 9
March 26-today: 300mg Wellbutrin once daily in the morning. No relief but early still.

4 hours ago, Go2zero said:

I really wish and pray for you that it will help. We are all different, so let's see what it will bring for you.

I tried also many things against anxiety. The only thing that worked for me was valium. But I don't want to use benzo's or other meds. Then I discovered the lavender oil. And it works as good as valium on me! But without the side effects and risks.

Maybe I said it before; just take when needed. It works very fast.

Please share your experience here. May be interesting for other members.

So it did work, although I feel kind of out of it now. I took some big gulps, maybe I was overzealous & drank too much? Does it make you spaced out after you drink? I used 3 drops & drank a little less than half a glass.

24 minutes ago, Ebee12058 said:

So it did work, although I feel kind of out of it now. I took some big gulps, maybe I was overzealous & drank too much? Does it make you spaced out after you drink? I used 3 drops & drank a little less than half a glass.

Great that it is working!

Maybe you should take a little less. Take 1 or 2 drops maximum. And drink just a small part of the glass. Maybe you are more sensitive than I am. It does not make me spaced out. Usually I take 2 drops. With severe anxiety, I take 3-4 drops.

If I were you, I would start with 1 drop and see what it does. If you do not get enough relief after half an hour, you can take/drink a bit more.

Did you buy organic quality? I would not like to use synthetic oil....

21 minutes ago, Go2zero said:

Great that it is working!

Maybe you should take a little less. Take 1 or 2 drops maximum. And drink just a small part of the glass. Maybe you are more sensitive than I am. It does not make me spaced out. Usually I take 2 drops. With severe anxiety, I take 3-4 drops.

If I were you, I would start with 1 drop and see what it does. If you do not get enough relief after half an hour, you can take/drink a bit more.

Did you buy organic quality? I would not like to use synthetic oil....

Yes, I think I just underestimated how strong it was/how well it would work. Definitely will take less next time. But great to know it works! Thank you so much for recommending. Living with raging anxiety is unbearable. Have you noticed any side effects from taking it relatively regularly? 

9 hours ago, Ebee12058 said:

Have you noticed any side effects from taking it relatively regularly? 

I have never experienced any side effects from lavender oil. I am quite sensitive however. I tried a few times THC oil. I was hoping it could help during WD of my AD's. Where others take 4-5 drops, I could not handle more than 1/2 drop...  Anyhow THC oil didn't bring me what I wanted and later I found that it is better not taken at all during WD of AD's.

But the lavender oil is really a great help for me when feeling anxiety. I never took it over longer periods. So I do not know what would happen then. I do not want to get dependent on anything. So therefor I just take it when needed.

Experiencing very severe depression & Anhedonia WD symptoms. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to ease them? Fish Oil makes me OCD/manic. It literally feels like my NE, dopamine & seretonin are so low, it is physically unbearable. 😞

experiencing debilitating anxiety, depression, Anhedonia,  extreme light sensitivity, & early waking. I'm considering reinstatement, but would experience severe Anhedonia (w/drawl Anhedonia less severe & not constant) if I do so. I'm wondering if you also think Anhedonia is an adverse reaction & I should not reinstate? The thing with the Anhedonia is that it only started in the last 8 year's, & got progressively worse each time I started & stopped Lexipro. I was on Lexipro on & off since 2004 until Oct 2019. (I know now many of my problems are from doing this, & deeply, deeply regret doing so. But there's nothing I can do about it now). Please let me know your thoughts. I feel no matter which way I turn, whether tapering or continuing with wd, I am going to suffer.

Hi, I reposted your question from the other thread here to keep all your info in one place and so we don't accidentally "take over" another thread. 

I think the Anhedonia is part of the withdrawal.  I do not see any indication of adverse reaction, which would be symptoms while ON a medication.  Your drug signature is hard to decipher and is missing the reinstatement of buspar in January for a month. but from reading you thread it looks like have been on and off 3 or 4 medications is a very short period of time, only 14 months, Oct. 2019 to Dec 2020, and only 3 months since the last med. 

As you say, you were getting progressively worse going on and off the Lexapro.  This is a typical pattern, where constant re exposure to a drug that will cause wd produces a "kindling" effect and make you more sensitive to it in the future.  It can also make you more sensitive to any other psych drug, so I would NOT suggest any other different medication from here on out.  It seems many people can "tamper" with there brain chemistry coming on and off drugs only so many times before these sort of crashes happen.  It is why many doctors who understand this kindling effect suggest to either stay on a drug for life or do not take them at all.

"I stopped Wellbutrin with no problems,"

I don't think you did.  I have had delayed reactions to wellbutrin drops 11 weeks out. It took me over 3 years to taper off Wellbutrin, it was pretty awful, and I'm over 5 years working on the Paxil.  I don't think the Buspar is your problem per se.  You were only on it 17 days,  stopped. then took it again for another month.   Obviously another drug exposure did not help but I think you took it confusing the wd anxiety for an "actual independent anxiety condition".  Could your brain have become dependent to it in that time? Yes.  However,  I think your issue is your body is in long term wd from all the meds you've taken so recently.  Also,  Wellbutrin is a brain stimulant, so its understandable why it would give you anxiety. Why any doctor would prescribe that for someone who was on other psych meds FOR anxiety is a mystery.

Personally?  I would NOT treat for  Anhedonia, lack of pleasure, that is the least of any one's problems, not feeling enjoyment and continuing to be tampering with your brain for that will only make you worse.

If You are having other difficult symptoms, anxiety, insomia, neurological issues, etc., You may want to try reinstating the buspar, then I would try a very small about, as Alto has suggested. However remember that is not the drug by itself that got you into this.  But This gives the best chance of alleviating some of the misery without provoking another round of bad effects.  Unfortunately, there is no guarantee it will work, but you did say when you took it some of what you thought were wd symptoms improved.  

You may have taken  too much magnesium to start.  I started at 33mgs a day and worked myself up to 200.  If you start at too high a dose it can back fire on you.  I personally would not recommend too many over the counter herbs tinctures.  If you do, and you "think" you have found one that works, be aware that it is not unusual for them to backfire and go paradoxical and make you worse eventually.  So keep that in mind.

If you could update your signature so the drugs are in chronological order from start to finish and make sure to add the January Buspar reinstatement it would be helpful for anyone you tag for assistance.  Thanks! 

Edited by Colonial

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

39 minutes ago, Colonial said:

experiencing debilitating anxiety, depression, Anhedonia,  extreme light sensitivity, & early waking. I'm considering reinstatement, but would experience severe Anhedonia (w/drawl Anhedonia less severe & not constant) if I do so. I'm wondering if you also think Anhedonia is an adverse reaction & I should not reinstate? The thing with the Anhedonia is that it only started in the last 8 year's, & got progressively worse each time I started & stopped Lexipro. I was on Lexipro on & off since 2004 until Oct 2019. (I know now many of my problems are from doing this, & deeply, deeply regret doing so. But there's nothing I can do about it now). Please let me know your thoughts. I feel no matter which way I turn, whether tapering or continuing with wd, I am going to suffer.

Hi, I reposted your question from the other thread here to keep all your info in one place and so we don't accidentally "take over" another thread. 

I think the Anhedonia is part of the withdrawal.  I do not see any indication of adverse reaction, which would be symptoms while ON a medication.  Your drug signature is hard to decipher and is missing the reinstatement of buspar in January for a month. but from reading you thread it looks like have been on and off 3 or 4 medications is a very short period of time, only 14 months, Oct. 2019 to Dec 2020, and only 3 months since the last med. 

As you say, you were getting progressively worse going on and off the Lexapro.  This is a typical pattern, where constant re exposure to a drug that will cause wd produces a "kindling" effect and make you more sensitive to it in the future.  It can also make you more sensitive to any other psych drug, so I would NOT suggest any other different medication from here on out.  It seems many people can "tamper" with there brain chemistry coming on and drugs only so many times before these sort of crashes happen.  It is why many doctors who understand this kindling effect suggest to either stay on a drug for life or do not take them at all.

"I stopped Wellbutrin with no problems,"

I don't think you did.  I have had delayed reactions to wellbutrin drops 11 weeks out. It took me over 3 years to taper off Wellbutrin, it was pretty awful, and I'm over 5 years working on the Paxil.  I don't think the Buspar is your problem per se.  You were only on it 17 days,  stopped. then took it again for another month.   Obviously another drug exposure did not help but I think you took it confusing the wd anxiety for an "actual independent anxiety condition".  Could your brain have become dependent to it in that time? Yes.  However,  I think your issue is your body is in long term wd from all the meds you've taken so recently.  Also,  Wellbutrin is a brain stimulant, so its understandable why it would give you anxiety. Why any doctor would prescribe that for someone who was on other psych meds FOR anxiety is a mystery.

Personally?  I would NOT treat for  Anhedonia, lack of pleasure, that is the least of any one's problems, not feeling enjoyment and continuing to be tampering with your brain for that will only make you worse.

If You are having other difficult symptoms, anxiety, insomia, neurological issues, etc., You may want to try reinstating the buspar, then I would try a very small about, as Alto has suggested. However remember that is not the drug by itself that got you into this.  But This gives the best chance of alleviating some of the misery without provoking another round of bad effects.  Unfortunately, there is no guarantee it will work, but you did say when you took it some of what you thought were wd symptoms improved.  

You may have taken  too much magnesium to start.  I started at 33mgs a day and worked myself up to 200.  If you start at too high a dose it can back fire on you.  I personally would not recommend too many over the counter herbs tinctures.  If you do, and you "think" you have found one that works, be aware that it is not unusual for them to backfire and go paradoxical and make you worse eventually.  So keep that in mind.

If you could update your signature so the drugs are in chronological order from start to finish and make sure to add the January Buspar reinstatement it would be helpful for anyone you tag for assistance.  Thanks! 

Hi Colonial, Than you so much for your thoughtful response. Actually, the Anhedonia is my worst symptom. It makes me feel dead inside, which I can't really explain to someone unless they've experienced it. It's very severe, not just a little dulling of my emotions, which I had years ago. 

But I agree now that you've pointed it out, that the worsening Anhedonia is a WD symptom from kindling. I'd never realized. My concern is that I'd like to reinstate to hopefully help the waves of anxiety & depression I'm experiencing, which are quite debilitating. Some days I don't know how I'm going to make it through. But I'm concerned that if I reinstate buspirone, which did help reduce my symptoms before, the Anhedonia might become permanent. I only really experience severe Anhedonia while taking any drug with seretonin. Have you heard or do you know of a situation where a symptom someone experiences while on an antidepressant becomes permanent even after they stop? So far every time I've stopped, it's gone away rather quickly. It just gets more severe the next time I restart. (I'll never take one of these poisons again unless to reinstate & taper). And I will start my taper at a very low dose. Thank you so much for your help. This forum has been a life line.

Are you using Anhedonia  and depression interchangeably?

If yes,  it's probably not a good idea,  as it can give a misunderstanding as depression is more complex than just not feeling pleasure.

You say the Anhedonia is the worst but you want to treat for anxiety and depression, so I'm not sure what your actually thinking or asking.

It's best to ONLY treat for what is absolutely making you nonfunctional or so severe your incapacitated to the breaking point.

If you thought the Buspar did that, than you may want to try a small reinstatement.

But if the Buspar only helped with symptoms that were mild and you could cope with, I would not reinstate it.

Anhedonia will not be permanent, it's part of the wd.

Still, I would not treat for that.  You know what needs to be done every day, it's ok if you don't feel happy.

If your not sleeping for 3 days or so anxious your sitting in a closet for 5 hours or suicidal or hallucinating that's a different issue.

I realize there is a cumulative effect to ALL the symptoms pushing us to being miserable and any relief is welcome, I understand that.

But you risk end up paying a bigger price in the long run if you reinstate a drug for help with only minor symptoms.

As you and see, you started Lexapro all those years ago for MILD ANXIETY and look where it led to?

Chronic wd being misdiagnosed as bi polar, more and worsening anxiety, now depression and Anhedonia, etc.

At some point we all have to bite the bullet and pay the piper on this, or we just snowball it to a worsening future.

Only you can decide if and what you can tolerate, in that respect, to decide on reinstatement.

Edited by Colonial

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

One other thing what ever symptoms the Buspar helped alleviate it may have only been doing that because your were talking larger dosages. While we do not talk in terms of "therapeutic dosages" here, there is something to say that while a small reinstatement may help, at times it does not because the amount being taken is not enough to be of much of assistance.

That is why we suggest to start with very small dosages, so at least your chance of negative effects is minimal and the amount you need to re taper off of is diminished. As long as you are not having negative results, you can try a larger reinstatement, but this is another toss up since if it takes months to inch up on the dose and you do start to feel better, you can never really be sure if it was the reinstatement or the fact that its been 5 months and your starting to stabilize on your own.  Hope that makes sense. 

Edited by Colonial

5 hours ago, Colonial said:

One other thing what ever symptoms the Buspar helped alleviate it may have only been doing that because your were talking larger dosages. While we do not talk in terms of "therapeutic dosages" here, there is something to say that while a small reinstatement may help, at times it does not because the amount being taken is not enough to be of much of assistance.

That is why we suggest to start with very small dosages, so at least your chance of negative effects is minimal and the amount you need to re taper off of is diminished. As long as you are not having negative results, you can try a larger reinstatement, but this is another toss up since if it takes months to inch up on the dose and you do start to feel better, you can never really be sure if it was the reinstatement or the fact that its been 5 months and your starting to stabilize on your own.  Hope that makes sense. 

Thank you so much for your considerate advice. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but now I feel I can make a more informed decision.

So I'm debating reinstatement of buspirone after 2 months of intense anxiety & depression & extreme sensativity to food. My question is: if I reinstate at a very low dose & wait a week to see if the reinstatement is helping or hurting, do I have to then taper off that dose of say .1mg if I decide the reinstatement is making my symptoms worse? Which could take upwards of a year to get off of at 10% a month? Or can I just stop or quick taper off the reinstatement? Thanks so much for your help.

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Ebee12058 said:

My question is: if I reinstate at a very low dose & wait a week to see if the reinstatement is helping or hurting, do I have to then taper off that dose of say .1mg if I decide the reinstatement is making my symptoms worse?

This is covered in Post #1 of this topic:

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

6 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

This is covered in Post #1 of this topic:

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms

@ChessieCat Thank you. I read the entire topic, but somehow missed the answer.