Frotob: Back again, same issue, bigger doses. Rock and Hard Place.

Frotob

I updated my signature to include current medication. 

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. My tolerance to clonazepam(Klonipin) has been increasing fairly rapidly. I feel as though I'm on the verge of needing to increase the dose again. I've finally gotten in touch with a good psychiatrist who will cross me to valium and taper me off slowly at my own rate. . . The problem is I am on 20mg of Lexapro. I feel like I may have failed a long ago, slow drycut taper off of a now hilariously small 10mg of Valium at 6mg because of Akathisia. I expect Escitalopram had a role in this. I FEEL like, and conventional wisdom here seems to say I should taper off of the Lexapro first before tackling benzos. . . The PROBLEM is I can't taper for years and years off of it without growing even more tolerant to Klonopin, and my doctor will not prescribe more than 4mg (understandably so). 

I'm unsure which drug to taper from first; or if I even have a choice. 

2010: Buspirone started for generalized anxiety disorder, had been drinking heavily previous years and continue til 2013

2013: quit drinking, buspirone stopped to add Lexapro. Bad reaction to first dose of 10mg Lexapro, put on 5mg with .5mg Ativan. Then 1mg Ativan. After a week of 5mg increase to 10mg Lexapro and 15mg Mirtazapine, felt better.

2013 - Nov: Decide to start tapering Ativan, first cut of .1mg had bad withdrawal s/x. reinstated at 1mg, crossed to 10mg of Valium directly and began tapering via cut and hold. 

2014: April/May down to 6mg Valium. SEVERE Akathisia/Dysphoria 3ER visits one day Enter psych ward by ambulance/Switched 1mg Ativan add 25mg seroquel and ?mg Tegretol Ativan didn't work. Sent home after feeling better on a whopping 1.5mg Klonopin.. Unsure if Lexapro caused akathisia and benzos were masking it or from benzo withdrawal(I was going pretty slow). Lexapro increased to 20mg - By December I had stopped Seroquel and Tegretol and was really feeling great. 

Inactivity.

2018 June: Possible tolerance withdrawal on Clonazepam. Mornings really bad anxiety lasting until second dose of .5mg Clonazepam. Interdose withdrawal? 

6/20/18: Increased clonazepam to 2.0mg/day .5/.5/1.0mg feel better but increased drowsiness. 

Inactivity.

3/18/21: Back, need help. 3mg Klonopin/Day(increasing tolerance)/ 20mg Lexapro /7.5mg Atenolol(heart rate)/25mg Trazodone(sleep)2.5mg Melatonin(sleep) 

• Administrator

Welcome, Frotab.

Are you saying that Lexapro caused restlessness and anxiety and that's why you have been taking benzodiazepines?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hmmm not exactly. IIRC Buspar stopped working and I had bad anxiety to begin with, I was started on 10mg of lexapro, 10mg was too much to start at so it was reduced to 5. After a few days my anxiety was getting worse. So I was prescribed .5mg Ativan 2x daily while titrating up to 10mg lexapro. The Ativan itself got rid of my anxiety. . I DO remember after a few weeks lexapro improving my mood and helping more so. 

Then I ended up getting interdose wd with Ativan. And wanted to taper off. Got switched to valium. And slowly dry cut from 10mg to 6mg over a few months. I was also on 30mg mirtazepine at that time. But SOMETHING brought down hellacious akathisia. . Hospitalized myself in psych center. . And left on 1.5mg klonopin. Which has been rising slowly since. But I'm well enough terrified to precipitate akathisia again. Despite only having it severe for 4 days or so. 

Honestly if there were a way for me to just stay on the meds or cut off an arm to get off of them without the prospect of akathisia. I would.

But when I posted I was experiencing something altogether different. My "body" was anxious but my mind wasn't. And it would abate by late afternoon. Like. . . Cortisol rush or something. I'm a 30yo male. But it seems like POTS from what I've read. And has lessened a lot. I also cut my caffeine intake by half a week ago and could be experiencing side effects from that. . . I'm not sure. 

2010: Buspirone started for generalized anxiety disorder, had been drinking heavily previous years and continue til 2013

2013: quit drinking, buspirone stopped to add Lexapro. Bad reaction to first dose of 10mg Lexapro, put on 5mg with .5mg Ativan. Then 1mg Ativan. After a week of 5mg increase to 10mg Lexapro and 15mg Mirtazapine, felt better.

2013 - Nov: Decide to start tapering Ativan, first cut of .1mg had bad withdrawal s/x. reinstated at 1mg, crossed to 10mg of Valium directly and began tapering via cut and hold. 

2014: April/May down to 6mg Valium. SEVERE Akathisia/Dysphoria 3ER visits one day Enter psych ward by ambulance/Switched 1mg Ativan add 25mg seroquel and ?mg Tegretol Ativan didn't work. Sent home after feeling better on a whopping 1.5mg Klonopin.. Unsure if Lexapro caused akathisia and benzos were masking it or from benzo withdrawal(I was going pretty slow). Lexapro increased to 20mg - By December I had stopped Seroquel and Tegretol and was really feeling great. 

Inactivity.

2018 June: Possible tolerance withdrawal on Clonazepam. Mornings really bad anxiety lasting until second dose of .5mg Clonazepam. Interdose withdrawal? 

6/20/18: Increased clonazepam to 2.0mg/day .5/.5/1.0mg feel better but increased drowsiness. 

Inactivity.

3/18/21: Back, need help. 3mg Klonopin/Day(increasing tolerance)/ 20mg Lexapro /7.5mg Atenolol(heart rate)/25mg Trazodone(sleep)2.5mg Melatonin(sleep)