Cammiex: Lexapro withdrawal sleep issues

Cammiex

Hi everyone, 

I usually would never have the courage to post on a forum but I really need advice. I am currently struggling at the moment with what I think is withdrawal off of Lexapro. To make this short I was put on 10mg back in 2017 for panic and anxiety triggered by stressful events at university, that left me unable to function in society. Tapered off it in august 2020 and although my final dose was in November, I feel as though the real withdrawal is only kicking in a few months later. Almost like my brain hasn’t caught up that the Lexapro is gone until recently. In the past few weeks to months, I have had crying spells, low mood, lack of sense of self, dissociation, trouble focusing, to name a few. Some days I get better and then back to square one on other days. I know it is just my brain adjusting so I am willing to put up with it.

However I write this post now because for the past few nights, I have not been able to sleep. Usually I sleep the whole night through with no issues, and have never had sleep problems before now. A few nights ago my heart began racing and pounding hard and gave me slight shortness of breath, and from that point on I could not induce sleep. No matter how relaxed I am, I can hear my heart pounding and cannot drift to sleep. I have had to take a sleeping tablet for the past few nights and as soon as I wake up during the night, I can’t go back to sleep again. Knowing that I won’t be able to sleep has caused several distressing panic attacks the past few days, especially at night time before I go to bed. I have a general sense of doom  that I’m never going to be able to sleep naturally again. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before, and could it be linked to the body coming off of Lexapro ? I am hoping and praying that it passes , I cannot fathom not being able to fall sleep naturally ever again. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this. 
Cammiex

Edited by Gridley

December 2017- August 2020: 10 mg Lexapro. Started taper in August 2020, last dose mid November 2020.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cammiex and welcome to SA. 

Thanks for filling out a signature.

What rate/dosages did you taper at between August and Nov? 

Even if it wasn't a cold turkey (going off all at once), it seems a bit fast.

It sounds like this could definitely be related to withdrawal. 

I can understand a sense of doom, and it sounds really scary--withdrawal symptoms *do* ease in time, and there are also things we can do to comfort our nervous systems in the meantime, which you'll find a lot of info about on this site---

Also, can you read the thread on reinstatement and see what you think? I'm not advising for or against that, but it's good to be aware of.

You're not alone. Welcome. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Hi SkyBlue,

Many thanks for your response, I will check out the thread on re-instatement. For the first month of withdrawal I was on 10mg every second day. The next month I was on 5mg every day. Then the final month it was 5mg every second day. 

I am very against ever going back on the drug again because of the lack of depth and emotion I experienced whilst on it.

I feel that my lack of sleep (due to the pounding heart) is possibly nervous system dysregulation as my brain tries to restore itself- I don’t think that it is a relapse of my original anxiety (I hope). 
At the moment I’m very distressed about not getting sleep which is causing panic and anxiety. Seems to be a vicious cycle :( Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

December 2017- August 2020: 10 mg Lexapro. Started taper in August 2020, last dose mid November 2020.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome from me too, Cammiex.

The symptoms you describe are typical of withdrawal.  Sleep problems are one of the most common symptoms of withdrawal.  Here are some links that might be helpful to you.  You will heal from this, as well as other withdrawal symptoms.  Time is the great cure.

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

Tricks and tips to fall asleep faster

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/02/16/tips-tricks-fall-asleep-faster.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20170216Z1&et_cid=DM133787&et_rid=1889748952

This link contains helpful information, including insomnia and also non-drug coping skills.  

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Some members have found Melatonin helpful with insomnia.   

Melatonin for sleep   It's best to start at a very low dosage, such as .25mg, and gradually increase if needed to the lowest effective dose.  

So that you have a better understanding of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and the healing process.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

l

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to Cammiex: Lexapro withdrawal sleep issues

Thank you for this information Gridley. The 24/7 panic and distress got so bad the past few days that I thought I would need to be hospitalised. Seems like my nervous system was thrown completely out of whack and the not being able to sleep was just a trigger for it to destabilise. I have had no choice but to reinstate 5mg lexapro. I am taking sleeping pills to sleep at the moment and hoping that the lexapro kicks back in soon so that I can stop taking them.