KimPossible2021 2 months off Venlafaxine/Effexor

KimPossible2021

Hello everyone. 

My name is Kimberly. After a period of agitated depression in July 2019, I was put on Quetiapine. After 8 months of Quetiapine the agitation was gone but I was very depressed. I was started on Venlafaxine in February 2020 and was on varying doses but remained on 75mg for the majority of my time on the drug. I tapered off of Quetiapine in September 2020, and then tapered off the Venlafaxine, finally stopping in March 2021. Initially my only withdrawal symptoms were brain zaps and some crazy derealisation, but this only lasted a week. My mood was honestly great initially too, I felt so alive and the most “me” I’d felt in a long time. 

Since around the 3 week off mark, my mood has fluctuated significantly. I can have days where I’m on top of the world, and others when I’m feeling desperately low. Sometimes I’ll be feeling great, and then all of a sudden I turn completely numb and there is no joy in anything. This usually marks the start of a dip that’ll last a few days or maybe longer. I’m now 2 months off the Venlafaxine and this is still happening. Could this be my brain trying to adjust? Or might I be relapsing? The length of time I’ve been off the drugs makes me worry that I’m actually unwell again, but I don’t feel the same as when I was initially unwell and I was always told different is actually a good thing. 

If anyone has any experience with similar fluctuations in mood after coming off Venlafaxine I’d be really grateful to hear your stories. It’s the fact that there’s been a bit of a delay in the mood changes and the fluctuations that is puzzling me a bit.

Kimberly

Quetiapine 75mg (July 2019 - May 2020. Tapered with liquid until stopped September 2020).

Venlafaxine 75mg (February 2020 - February 2021. Tapered to 37.5mg for 1 month and stopped completely March 2021). 
Currently drug free. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Kimberly,

I'm so sorry that you're experiencing these withdrawal symptoms.  As you can read on this site, your symptoms are typical for many people.  We are a non-profit site run by volunteer Administrators and Moderators who have been through or still are going through withdrawal.  To get you started, here are two sites that might be useful:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

On 5/5/2021 at 3:21 PM, KimPossible2021 said:

Could this be my brain trying to adjust? Or might I be relapsing?

I believe that you are experiencing your brain adjusting rather than a relapse.   Here is a site on how medications can change our brains:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Because you are at the two month point in your withdrawal from Venlafaxine, you might still have an option should you decide you need it to reinstate at a very small dose and taper more slowly from there.  This site can give you more information.  Also, should this be your choice, a Moderator can assist you.

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

Reinstating doesn't work consistently, especially the further out you get from zero.  Sometimes it can lead to more problems, so I recommend considering your options of continuing without medication or using reinstatement carefully.

I want to assure you that people recover from withdrawal, but that it takes patience and time.  Sadly, we're not usually informed by our doctors ahead of time.  I'm impressed that you've managed to get off first the Quetiapine, and now the Venlafaxine.  It seems to me you're doing well under the circumstances.  Thank you for setting up your drug signature.  

This is your Introduction site where you can ask questions and connect with other members.

I'm glad you've found us. 

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

Hi Arbor,

Thank you for welcoming me and your warm words of encouragement. I’ve had doctors trying to tell me that I’m relapsing but I knew in myself that that wasn’t what was happening, so I found the link about windows and waves that you posted there incredibly interesting. I’ve never quite known how to describe what I mean when I’m fluctuating but that link shows me I’m not alone in these feelings! I can’t tell you what a relief that is. 

I have considered reinstating the Venlafaxine but I have resisted so far. Partly because the tablets I have are not capsules with beads and instead just a extended-release pill that cannot be cut. But also because I just don’t think reinstating is a road I want to go down. 

On top of the continuing mood difficulties I’m also suffering from uncontrollable tiredness, and just a sense that my brain isn’t functioning quite right. I just can’t engage with things sometimes, and other times I’m so engaged with things that I can actually feel a bit disoriented when I move my attention onto something else. 

It’s probably worth mentioning that I also suffer with severe panic disorder and agoraphobia. These are issues I’ve had since I was a little girl and can manage them, it’s the more recent mood issues that I find a lot more troubling.

Just hearing that others have managed to recover from withdrawal is very reassuring, and the little bit of hope I need just now. 

Kimberly

Quetiapine 75mg (July 2019 - May 2020. Tapered with liquid until stopped September 2020).

Venlafaxine 75mg (February 2020 - February 2021. Tapered to 37.5mg for 1 month and stopped completely March 2021). 
Currently drug free. 

• Altostrata changed the title to KimPossible2021 2 months off Venlafaxine/Effexor
  • Administrator

Welcome, @KimPossible2021

On 5/5/2021 at 3:21 PM, KimPossible2021 said:

tapered off the Venlafaxine, finally stopping in March 2021. Initially my only withdrawal symptoms were brain zaps and some crazy derealisation, but this only lasted a week. My mood was honestly great initially too, I felt so alive and the most “me” I’d felt in a long time. 

Since around the 3 week off mark, my mood has fluctuated significantly. I can have days where I’m on top of the world, and others when I’m feeling desperately low.

How did you taper off venlafaxine?

Brain zaps are a dead giveaway of withdrawal syndrome. People often say they felt "great" for a few weeks before the rest of withdrawal emerged.

It sounds, though, like your withdrawal syndrome is relatively mild. How's your sleep?

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata,

In terms of tapering, I took the solid extended release tablets rather than capsules with beads in them, so I went down from my dose of 75mg to 37.5mg tablets and stayed at that for just over one month. I was a bit silly because exactly the same thing happened then as is happening now - I felt good on the 37.5mg for around 3 weeks then suddenly felt rubbish (just mentally, no physical withdrawal at that stage). But I felt like since I wasn’t feeling good anyway I may as well stop completely, so stopped the 37.5mg in March 2021. And then because I felt so much better after stopping I thought I’d done the right thing! Until the 3 weeks mark hit again…

I have no trouble sleeping at all, in fact I’ve recently contacted my doctor who’s arranged a blood test for me because I am so tired all the time and could sleep all day long. Think she just wants to rule a physical problem out. 

My lower mood does seem far more prolonged recently, and the moments when I feel better have cut down from a couple of days at a time to a brief few hours if I’m lucky. Think that’s what’s making me think I’m getting unwell again. I’m also getting moments of derealisation again though, which I’d never encountered before Venlafaxine, so that’s making me think the drug (or lack of it) is still playing a part in how I’m feeling.

Just for reassurance, have you seen people who have described the sort of mood issues I’m talking about come out the other side? Feel like I need a bit of hope to cling on to just now. 

Kimberly

Currently drug free. 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, KimPossible2021 said:

I have no trouble sleeping at all, in fact I’ve recently contacted my doctor who’s arranged a blood test for me because I am so tired all the time and could sleep all day long. Think she just wants to rule a physical problem out. 

My lower mood does seem far more prolonged recently, and the moments when I feel better have cut down from a couple of days at a time to a brief few hours if I’m lucky. Think that’s what’s making me think I’m getting unwell again. I’m also getting moments of derealisation again though, which I’d never encountered before Venlafaxine, so that’s making me think the drug (or lack of it) is still playing a part in how I’m feeling.

Good to hear you're sleeping. That was an abrupt tapering schedule.

Fatigue and lower mood are common withdrawal symptoms, as is an emotional anesthesia. It can take withdrawal syndrome months to gradually fade. Medical tests will show not show withdrawal syndrome.

As your withdrawal syndrome appears to be mild, if I were you, I'd use non-drug means to cope with symptoms and allow it to go away without additional drugs, which often cause additional problems. You will need to be patient.

I would be sure to get at least a half-hour of gentle exercise, such as walking, each day, good fresh food with fruit and vegetables, plenty of water, and good sleep. You probably won't see improvement over a week, but over months. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Good to hear what I’m describing sounds like withdrawal. I know I’ll need to be patient with it but the thought of it getting better with time helps a lot. 

I’m glad you’re of the same opinion as me regarding restarting drugs - I’ll definitely have a look into the non-drug options such as the fish oil. I’m looking into some probiotics too. 

Thanks for all your advice and input guys, I’ll keep pushing forward and hopefully feel better soon. I’ll keep you updated. 

Kimberly

Currently drug free. 

Hey again,

A bit of a new issue has arisen - not actually sure if it’s linked to withdrawal or not so thought I’d see if anyone has experienced anything similar. 

My heart rate has slowed down a lot. I’ve only noticed this in the last couple of weeks but it may have been happening for a bit longer. My heart rate is consistently between 50 and 58 bpm. Even when I’m not resting. And even when I’m anxious! I’m due to see the doctor in 11 days anyway and getting a blood test next week for a physical health check so any issues with thyroid function etc. will be detected then. I’m also having issues with heart flutters which is what drew my attention to my heart in the first place actually.

Has anyone experienced a drop in heart rate after stopping antidepressants? I’ve got to say this is fairly terrifying for me.

Kimberly

Currently drug free. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @KimPossible2021  I understand being nervous about your heart rate dropping.  Here is a way to get to the topic as it's come up for others:  

I can share with you that I my heart rate also dropped when I was in the first months of w/d.  I was quite nervous, but eventually it evened out.  If you aren't already doing so, I recommend walking consistently.  I take a gentle walk everyday which i do think probably helps.  It'll be interesting to hear what your doctor says.  I hope you'll improve soon.  Keep us informed.  Best wishes, Arbor

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Hi @arbor, thank you for replying to me.

I’ve recently started wearing my Fitbit again to try and track my heart rate, my resting heart rate is 50bpm at the moment with is going down as low as 42bpm while I am sleeping. It also barely climbs above 60bpm even if I’m out for a walk with the dog.

I had an ECG yesterday and everything was fine, I do get very anxious when at the Doctor’s surgery though so my heart definitely wasn’t beating slowly!! I’m going to track it over the next week and go back to the Doctor with what I’ve noted down. I think some sort of ECG monitor that I can wear at home for a while would be the best way to show them what I’m talking about. 

I’m so glad your heart rate evened out again, that’s the sort of thing I need to heart right now. Scared this is a permanent thing! 

Kimberly

Currently drug free. 

• Moderator Emeritus

This sounds like a really good approach.  You're still in the acute stage of w/d.  Things will be cock-eyed for awhile.  I also carry the fear that my symptoms will be permanent.  We have to be patient.  I never knew the word, patience would have to cover so much.  Please know I'm thinking of you--

Arbor

@arbor, thank you for your kind words. As Dory in Finding Nemo says, just keep swimming! I’ll keep in touch. 

Kimberly

Currently drug free. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had an alarming experience this morning, and I’m not sure if it is to do with withdrawal or not, especially since I’m nearly 3 months off the Venlafaxine and 8 months off the Quetiapine.

I was in the shower, and I suddenly became extremely disoriented, unsure of where I was and what I was doing. I started to panicked. I jumped out the shower and wrapped myself up in a towel, and ended up sitting soaking wet on the floor in the spare bedroom. I went from being absolutely fine to feeling like the walls were closing in on me and confused about where I was and what I was doing. Even though this feeling passed very quickly, the dissociation was very strong afterwards and I got very upset.

It’s been nearly 4 hours now and even though I’m not panicking about the situation anymore, I still feel odd.

I am terribly worried I’ve had a stroke or mini stroke, especially given my worries about my heart that I’ve mentioned above in this topic. But not sure I’d be able to function if that was the case. Not sure I’d be able to get myself out the bath and in a towel either. Physically I am and was absolutely fine (as far as I’m aware).

If I can put this episode down to withdrawal it would actually be a relief. I’d love to hear of anyone else has experienced this.

Kimberly

Currently drug free. 

Hi Kimberley, definitely not alone in the venlafaxine/quetiapine stakes. 

In my experience with venlafaxine I had high blood pressure and heart rate. 

Reading your experience, has jogged my memory of my own experiences. I shall update mine so as to not clutter yours. 

I wish you all the best on your journey. Reading through others stories can be a great source of encouragement and information. 

Current: Nothing...

December - January: Perindopril erbumine 4mg, Ondansetron 8mg prn, temazepam 10-20mg prn.

November : Perindopril erbumine 4mg, ceased Mirtazipine to start Nortriptyline, over 3.5 weeks got to 50mg then had to cease due to side effects...

October : Mirtazapine 15mg, Perindopril erbumine 4mg, Ceased Lamotrigine due to rashes.

July - October: Mirtazapine 15mg, Lamotrigine 12.5 - 25mg, Perindopril erbumine 4mg, Zolpidem tartrate 10mg prn 

June - July: hospital admission, 5 weeks, Mirtazapine 30mg, clonidine 50mcg, melatonin 4mg

March - June: Mirtazapine 45mg, quetiapine 100mg, melatonin 2mg, once daily (night time). Diazepam 2mg as required, Max 2 day.
2021 Hospital admission February, 5 weeks. Venlafaxine 225mg - 300mg - 0mg in 13 days. Worst 3 weeks of my life. Quetiapine 100mg up as high as 300mg combination of ir and xr, as well as being listed as 1st line prn... 100mg at discharge, Lorazepam 2nd line prn, mirtazapine 45mg.

November 2020 hospital admission 16 days, venlafaxine reduced to 375mg, mirtazapine introduced, titration to 45mg, quetiapine 100mg ir, lorazepam prn.

2019-2020 venlafaxine 450mg, morning. OTC codeine meds ceased in Australia. Titration with diazepam. Prescription codeine meds, alcohol augmentation... 

2015-2019 venlafaxine 375mg, morning, titration with diazepam prn.. OTC codeine based meds for headaches and migraines. 2015 fluoxetine, olanzapine, temazepam all ceased 2013-2015 lexapro 10mg ceased

Hi @Frog82, thank you for replying.

I’ve had a look at your experience, this whole withdrawal process is rotten isn’t it?

The doctor and my psychiatric nurse are putting my strange episode (which is still going on) down to dissociation and a symptom of my ever-worsening anxiety. 

I’ve got an appointment with a psychiatrist on Friday this week and I’m all but certain he’ll tell me to reinstate the Venlafaxine indefinitely. At this point it’s seeming like the easier option.

When I first started the medication I was incredibly unwell. I don’t feel exactly the same way now but there are hints it’s heading that way. Who knows what the right thing to do is.

Kimberly

Currently drug free. 

I completely sympathize with what you are experiencing.  It sounds like you may have had a surge of withdrawal.  I have had situations similar to yours were I gradually start feeling bad and then all of the sudden, seemingly out of nowhere, all hell breaks loose.  I had a situation where I was driving where I felt like I was on autopilot (mentally, not the Tesla feature lol).  I completely forgot that I was driving, where I was going, how to drive.  It was really scary and naturally caused extreme panic. 

I also really sympathize with your physical health concerns.  I have historically had anxiety related to health and the breadth of physical symptoms and clouded thinking has created frequent fear about my health during withdrawal.  One thing that has helped me is recognizing and acknowledging that nothing physical should surprise me when it comes to withdrawal.  Chest pain, muscle tension, nausea, heart palpitations where it feels like my heart is skipping a beat, gasping for air, headaches, eye pain, among others, have all been experienced at one point or another.  Recognizing and accepting them as likely withdrawal symptoms have helped me move past these feelings and not panic.  

Wishing you all the best in your healing.

Multiple drugs for my teen years.  ~10 years on Pristiq 100mg.  
January 2021: 50mg Pristiq to 43.75. Stopped Viibryd at 10mg

March 2021: holding at 37.5mg.
April 2021: 25mg.  May 2021: 18.75 to 12.5.  
June 2021: 12.5 to (accidentally) 4.29mg.  Updose to 6mg using compounded Pristiq

August 2020: Crashed at day 35 of 5mg. Updose to 6mg

September 2020: 5.5mg from 6 after 38 days

10/2021: 5mg, 11/2021: 4.5mg, 12/21:4mg, 3/22:3.75mg, Propranolol 10mg prn