Rita2: Need help

Rita2

I took 2.5mg lexapro for about 3 weeks, then 5mg for about 2. The doctor switched me to zoloft 12.5 mg. A week after my life blew up. I was driving to the pool and felt completely stoned. Light was 3 exposures too bright. Colors were more saturated. Sound was way too loud. When I got to the pool I felt so high and dissociated which scared me. I was told this was a side effect of zoloft and would go away, but it hasn't. I've asked about discontinuation syndrome and no one thinks that's it. I've had random diagnoses with no relief and now I'm really scared, depressed, and panicked. I feel like I've lost my kids because my vision is so off and I'm out of it. I've been checked by many doctors with no answers. Anyone, help! It's been 4.5 months

Diadnosis: postpartum anxiety

Lexapro 10mg Sept 9 - 19 (GP said to stop because it made me feel hot and was getting progesterone shots for PPA) no side effects from stopping 

Prozac - Oct 4 - 10 (could not sleep so I stopped) no side effects from stopping

New doc

Lexapro 2.5mg Nov 21-Dec 13

Lexapro 5mg Dec 13 - Dec 26

Zoloft 12.5mg Dec 28 - Jan 10

Ativan at night .5mg but increased here and there throughout disaster that started Jan 5

Seroquel 12.5mg was taken at night after prozac made me not sleep from Oct - late Jan.

I forgot to say, the doctor told me to stop the zoloft a week after this was going on so I haven't taken any since January. 

Lexapro 10mg Sept 9 - 19 (GP said to stop because it made me feel hot and was getting progesterone shots for PPA) no side effects from stopping 

Prozac - Oct 4 - 10 (could not sleep so I stopped) no side effects from stopping

New doc

Ativan at night .5mg but increased here and there throughout disaster that started Jan 5

Seroquel 12.5mg was taken at night after prozac made me not sleep from Oct - late Jan.

• getofflex changed the title to Rita2: Need help
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm very sorry to hear that you have been dealing with these difficulties.  To make sure I understand, the only drug you are now on is the Ativan 0.5 mg?  Do you take that every night?  

The symptoms you describe all sound to me like discontinuation syndrome.  For some reason, many doctors tend to discount the possibility of this.  

9 hours ago, Rita2 said:

I was driving to the pool and felt completely stoned. Light was 3 exposures too bright. Colors were more saturated. Sound was way too loud. When I got to the pool I felt so high and dissociated which scared me.

Are you still having these symptoms now?  This could possibly be mania or hypomania.  Antidepressants can cause this reaction.  There is another member in our forum who reports having a manic episode while withdrawing from Zoloft.  This post by the founder of our forum says that antidepressants can trigger mania in some people: 

AD's Can Cause Mania

What symptoms are you currently having? 

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. This is extremely important. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

Withdrawal from psych meds can cause many scary and painful symptoms, but the good news is that, eventually with time, they will slowly subside.  

There are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Vision problems, depression, panic and anxiety are all withdrawal symptoms. Here is information about symptoms:  

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Symptoms Checklists

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

My useless psychiatrist basically told me to take more benzos to ride this out. I have a RX for both Ativan and Klonopin to basically figure out. Lately, .375mg Klonopin in the evening and sometimes some Ativan (no more than 1mg) during the day. Prior to this happening, though I was only taking some Ativan (sometimes just .25mg) in the evening. 

I'm still having all those symptoms to varying degrees. Light is always too bright, sound is always too loud, colors are more saturated. I have physical feelings that will come on like extreme lightheaded and fatigue. I also feel hot at times. In the beginning I was told it would go away and was a medication reaction so my anxiety wasn't terrible and I wasn't depressed. Now I'm consumed with trying to figure it out. No one thinks it's discontinuation from switching from zoloft to lexapro and one doc (neurologist) just immediately said he supposed zoloft caused it because it was the last thing I took. Others have said this has nothing to do with the medication. I feel stoned 24/7 and it's been 4.5 months. 

New doc

Not to mention all the sensory disturbances have caused dissociation. This is by far the worst thing. Nothing looks right and I can't handle that when it comes to my children. Prior to this happening I had some anxiety, but in the days leading up to this I was enjoying the holidays with my family. 

New doc

Not to mention all the sensory disturbances have caused dissociation. This is by far the worst thing. Nothing looks right and I can't handle that when it comes to my children. Prior to this happening I had some anxiety, but in the days leading up to this I was enjoying the holidays with my family. 

I forgot to mention I got a genomind test done in February because one doctor who consulted with me thought I might be a poor metabolizer of serotonin. It showed I would have elevated levels of SSRIs, but the genomind people said my profile wasn't strange and didn't really justify what was happening as a serotonin issue especially because of the low doses. I've asked 7 different docs about discontinuation and now I'm scared about the serotonin issue. I've tried consulting with psychopharmacologists out of state and have gotten nowhere. In 2 weeks I'll meet with a new psychiatrist and have others lined up over the next 6 weeks. I'm scared to reinstate if I do have a serotonin issue, and the reason I stopped the lexapro is because it was making me feel terrible. Eventually i felt lethargic here and there and very emotional. One day i felt 'stoned' but that was limited to that day and a month before this blew up. I've also started getting migraines and headaches which I've never had. I stopped even occasionally drinking alcohol because I desperately want to feel sober. 

New doc

• Moderator Emeritus

I suspect that your symptoms are from having done a lot of changes in your psych drugs in the past 9 months.  Did you read my link about how psych drugs remodel the brain? Also, here is a video describing recovery from psych meds.  It can take months or longer for your brain to undo the changes made to it by psych meds.  Also, when we make a lot of changes to our meds, it tends to sensitize our nervous system, and make things worse.  

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Considerations About Stability Stop Jumping Around

The feeling stoned could be depersonalization/derealization.  Here is a thread about that: 

Derealization and Depersonalization

I understand that all these symptoms and changes are very distressing.  It is only natural to feel upset about it.  However, worrying too much about your symptoms can lead to a downward spiral in which you feel worse and worse.  All of us here have found that time is the best healer.  As unpleasant as it is, time, and acceptance have been what really helped me.  As time has gone on, my symptoms have gradually lessened and gotten better.  I believe yours will do the same.  

Acceptance

Health Anxiety

I have my doubts about anyone having a serotonin issue.  There is a myth that people who are depressed or anxious have an imbalance of chemicals in their brains.  This is the story that big pharma tells people to get doctors to prescribe these drugs.  Please read this: 

Chemical Imbalance is a Myth

On 5/19/2021 at 9:49 PM, Rita2 said:

I stopped even occasionally drinking alcohol because I desperately want to feel sober. 

If I were you, I would definitely cut out the alcohol altogether.  Alcohol affects the nervous system significantly.  Anything that affects the nervous system can exacerbate withdrawal symptoms, and further destabilize our nervous system.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly