sofasogood: 6.5 years of Citalopram: After 3 months of tapering coping with withdrawal

sofasogood

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @sofasogood--Yes, I can relate to the hell you are describing   I'm so very sorry that you're having to endure this.   Indeed, it is hell.

1 hour ago, sofasogood said:

it feels like I am going backwards

I definitely felt worse as I went along.  That has changed on reaching 4 years.  Now I'm steadily improving.  Hopefully, your recovery won't take as long, but it seems that most of us have to think long term, whether we're tapering, or have stopped taking the drugs.

1 hour ago, sofasogood said:

I feel like I am slowly deteriorating. I always prided myself with being good with languages, but right now I mix everything up. I even have to translate English words into German to remember a German word I just cannot grasp in that moment I am thinking about it.

Oddly enough, I too could remember words in French better than in my native English.  Isn't it a horrible feeling when you can't connect your thought to the word?  So disorienting--like losing gravity.  My sense is that you're not deteriorating so much as experiencing the brain disfunctioning.  It will pass.  The power of your mind and the delight of your creativity will return.  I believe this strongly.  It can be a double whammy: both the loss of function plus our identity if we identify with those abilities.  For me, cultivating a daily, (and I must say, slogging) practice of compassion has been helpful.  After months of it, I have felt like a worm pushing through dirt and darkness.  As I improve, the compassion has also grown bigger.  You deserve all the good will in the world, Sofa.  Most of the world will never understand how hard it is to recover from these drugs.  

2 hours ago, sofasogood said:

Today, my left eye won't focus the way it normally does.

Unfortunately, these drugs often affect our eyes, including the ability to focus, whether we stay on them, or are going through w/d.  I've heard among the Success Stories that the blurriness can improve.  I'm holding hope.  I recommend getting an eye exam.  My eye doctor has become aware of problems associated with AD's and checks for Macular Degeneration as well.  He avoids using dilation drops because the chemicals can be inflammatory.

I am ridden by the feeling it will never get better

I'm glad you're sharing these feelings.  However the brain creates this feeling, it seems to be especially agitated during recovery.  I recommend not believing your brain when this feeling comes up.  Just floating and observing has been helpful for me (though I've wanted to scream).  Keep sharing, if you wish!

On my way to work now and I am terrified of talking to colleagues or not being able to do work properly. I am constantly trying to get out of the spiral, but it is so hard, when you are reminded about your handicap every time you speak. This takes up soo much energy . 

Yes, this is so horribly challenging.  I admire you for going to work anyway.  You still want to do the best you can.  Your spirit is very bright.  Even when you can't do your best work, you are trying.  You will get better, Sofa.  You may have to be resigned for awhile, but you will recover.  

I send you anti-inflammatory wishes and a big hug,

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sofa, hope you are feeling better.  I read your thread and wanted to see if you thought the carnivore diet helped and what diet you are on now.  

wishing you the best,

-son

1995 - 2001 Wellbutrin & Effexor, 2001 Stop Effexor (CT), Start Celexa. 2009 Start Trazodone, 2010 Stop Celexa (fast taper), Start Cymbalta. 2014, 2016 Reductions in Dosages Cymbalta and Wellbutrin
2018 Started Slow Taper of Cymbalta from 30mg

2021 May Trazodone Dose drop from 75 to 50 - Started Muscle Cramping and Spasms
2021 July 5th Stopped Cymbalta After 3 YR Taper (No method, I removed beads based on how I was feeling.  Got down to 4 beads, or about 0.4mg before stopping)
2021 July 5th Stopped Wellbutrin cold turkey (was taking 75mg.  Over last week on Wellbutrin, I skipped days taking 100mg SR every other day).  Took last dose of Wellbutrin July 5th.  Severe WD Started July 17th.
2021 Aug 3rd:  Start Remeron 7.5mg at Night 

2021 Aug 23rd: Reinstated Wellbutrin 10mg AM / 10 mg PM, Stopped Remeron

2021 Aug 30th: Changed WB Dosing to 10mg AM / 5mg Mid Day / 8mg Early Evening

2021 Sept 1st: Reinstated Remeron 7.5mg for sleep

2021 Sept 14th: Changed WB to 10mg AM / 6mg Mid day / 6mg Early Evening, Jan 24: Changed WB to 9mg AM / 6mg Mid Day / 6mg PM

2021 Sept 21: Re-instated Cymbalta at 1 bead 2X a day, Oct 12:  Updosed to 2 beads AM, 1 bead PM, March 11:  Updosed 2 beads AM, 2 beads PM
Currently on Trazodone 50mg and Remeron 7.5mg.  Cymbalta 2 Beads (0.1mg) 2X Day 7AM and 6PM.  Wellbutrin 9mg AM / 6mg Mid day / 6mg Early Evening

Hi @SonSetFree.

I hope you are ok.
Yes I think the carnivore diet helped me. As it is a elimination diet, that takes out most of the foods, one could be having a reaction to, it clearly can help to find out, what might be causing some of the gut issues, that come with the withdrawal. Everyone is different and so are the problems that might turn up in the process. I myself suffer from histamine intolerance, casein intolerance, and lots of smaller ones, like almond and strawberry etc. They all appeared after I quit Citalopram. But there is no one size fits all. In the end you need to tweak it the way your body needs. Some eat Keto, others try Paleo, and some do an almost carnivore diet with some veg and fruit still included. I will never be an advocate for being a strict carnivore only. I am working myself towards the goal to eat a more diverse diet with a professional. Before you start, I would recommend checking, if there might be other factors of undetected problems involved. Leaky gut was one of mine. For me, the carnivore diet itself didn’t take care of that, because there was an underlying issue of formaldehyde poisoning and a big zinc deficiency, that need to be taken care of. But the diet helped me get the nutrients I needed to progress in my withdrawal and to get rid of the bloating, that sometimes was so bad, I couldn’t leave bed and thought my gut would burst any second. Those are almost completely gone. Are you thinking about going carnivore? Have you tried other diets before? I remember hearing someone doing amazing on a lectin free diet here in the forum as well.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, just ask.

Cheers

Sofa

November 2014: 20mg of Citalopram after burnout.

June 2017: Tried to taper off by splitting the pills and after not being able to split them into more pieces, by taking them every other day and then one in 3 days and so on.

December 2017 Panic attacks, heart racing, fear of dying and a lot of other weird symptoms made me go back on 10mg of Citalopram.

November 2020: Functional medicine doctor told me my leaky gut could be coming from the antidepressant and made me taper off in 2,5 months with ecitalopram liquid.

Last drop of ecitalopram in the middle of january (can#t remember the exact date)

Since then trying to cope with withdrawal.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 4:11 PM, sofasogood said:

I myself suffer from histamine intolerance, casein intolerance, and lots of smaller ones, like almond and strawberry etc.

Thanks Sofa!  My biggest issue is fatigue and some other physical symptoms.  Other than gut issues, did you you see other withdrawal symptoms improve with diet change?

1995 - 2001 Wellbutrin & Effexor, 2001 Stop Effexor (CT), Start Celexa. 2009 Start Trazodone, 2010 Stop Celexa (fast taper), Start Cymbalta. 2014, 2016 Reductions in Dosages Cymbalta and Wellbutrin
2018 Started Slow Taper of Cymbalta from 30mg

2021 May Trazodone Dose drop from 75 to 50 - Started Muscle Cramping and Spasms
2021 July 5th Stopped Cymbalta After 3 YR Taper (No method, I removed beads based on how I was feeling.  Got down to 4 beads, or about 0.4mg before stopping)
2021 July 5th Stopped Wellbutrin cold turkey (was taking 75mg.  Over last week on Wellbutrin, I skipped days taking 100mg SR every other day).  Took last dose of Wellbutrin July 5th.  Severe WD Started July 17th.
2021 Aug 3rd:  Start Remeron 7.5mg at Night 

2021 Aug 23rd: Reinstated Wellbutrin 10mg AM / 10 mg PM, Stopped Remeron

2021 Aug 30th: Changed WB Dosing to 10mg AM / 5mg Mid Day / 8mg Early Evening

2021 Sept 1st: Reinstated Remeron 7.5mg for sleep

2021 Sept 14th: Changed WB to 10mg AM / 6mg Mid day / 6mg Early Evening, Jan 24: Changed WB to 9mg AM / 6mg Mid Day / 6mg PM

2021 Sept 21: Re-instated Cymbalta at 1 bead 2X a day, Oct 12:  Updosed to 2 beads AM, 1 bead PM, March 11:  Updosed 2 beads AM, 2 beads PM
Currently on Trazodone 50mg and Remeron 7.5mg.  Cymbalta 2 Beads (0.1mg) 2X Day 7AM and 6PM.  Wellbutrin 9mg AM / 6mg Mid day / 6mg Early Evening

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 9:15 PM, SonSetFree said:

Other than gut issues, did you you see other withdrawal symptoms improve with diet change?

Hey @SonSetFree.

Gut issues were the biggest change together with sleep. To be honest these 2 made my life a great deal more enjoyable. All the other claims off the carnivore hardliners need yet to come true. But I think in the end it has more to do with leaky gut in my case. And some people just don't heal just from eating carnivore. And then, a healing nervous system has its own pace of healing as well. Your body tells you quite well if something is wrong. 

Have a wonderful day and I hope you are better.

Sofa

November 2014: 20mg of Citalopram after burnout.

June 2017: Tried to taper off by splitting the pills and after not being able to split them into more pieces, by taking them every other day and then one in 3 days and so on.

December 2017 Panic attacks, heart racing, fear of dying and a lot of other weird symptoms made me go back on 10mg of Citalopram.

November 2020: Functional medicine doctor told me my leaky gut could be coming from the antidepressant and made me taper off in 2,5 months with ecitalopram liquid.

Last drop of ecitalopram in the middle of january (can#t remember the exact date)

Since then trying to cope with withdrawal.