Bryan: Paxil withdrawal

Bryan

Supplements

Hey all it’s Bryan haven’t posted in along time. I always have problems on how to post when I haven’t gone on in awhile. My question is I’m on Paxil 40mgs lamictal 100mgs and 300mgs of Wellbutrin. I started taking fish oil and garlic extract and a few days later I started having anxiety. Do these supplements interact with prescription medications specifically the ones I’m taking? Let me know thanks

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

2009 started 40mgs of Paxil.                               July 2021 started 5 mgs of bystolic                   2021  stopped Paxil cold Turkey August 27th.                                                                                  2021 started 40mgs of prozac August 28th.                                                                                 2021 August 29th started 60mgs of prozac Bryan.                                                            September 6th switched back to 40mgs of Paxil from 60mgs of Prozac                       September 13th switched from 40mgs to 20mgs of Paxil

• ChessieCat changed the title to Bryan: Paxil withdrawal
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryan

• Colonial

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Bryan said:

Supplements

Hey all it’s Bryan haven’t posted in along time. I always have problems on how to post when I haven’t gone on in awhile. My question is I’m on Paxil 40mgs lamictal 100mgs and 300mgs of Wellbutrin. I started taking fish oil and garlic extract and a few days later I started having anxiety. Do these supplements interact with prescription medications specifically the ones I’m taking? Let me know thanks

You may be suffering from adverse drug interactions from that cocktail. Combining Paxil with Wellbutrin has a MAJOR drug interaction and combining Paxil with Lamictal has a MODERATE drug interaction. 

Drug Interaction Report - lamictal, paxil, wellbutrin

Bryan, are you here to taper your drugs? You're on more drugs than you were a year ago when you first posted on this site. 

• Moderator Emeritus

That's a hefty dose of Paxil you are taking even without the Wellbutrin.

Please update your drug signature.  We need to be able to see your entire drug history at a glance, with dates and doses and the last dose you took if you stopped a drug.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

From the drug interaction checker that Shep did, right at the bottom of the page (which you might not notice) is the following:

Duplication

Antidepressants

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'antidepressants' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'antidepressants' category:

• Paxil (paroxetine)
  • Wellbutrin (bupropion)

Here are the results from a different drug interaction checker:

https://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

Serious - Use Alternative

• bupropion + paroxetine

bupropion will increase the level or effect of paroxetine by affecting hepatic enzyme CYP2D6 metabolism. Avoid or Use Alternate Drug.

• paroxetine + bupropion

paroxetine increases toxicity of bupropion by unspecified interaction mechanism. Avoid or Use Alternate Drug. May lower seizure threshold; keep bupropion dose as low as possible.

Monitor Closely

• lamotrigine + paroxetine

lamotrigine increases toxicity of paroxetine by unspecified interaction mechanism. Modify Therapy/Monitor Closely. CNS depressants may increase the toxic effects of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors; psychomotor impairment may be enhanced.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Post #1 of this topic has links to various helpful topics as well as links to the Tips for Tapering topics for different drugs:

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Just a reminder that SA is a site for tapering psychiatric drugs.

With regards to your question about supplements, SA recommends only trying one things at a time and only taking a small dose to see how you respond.  And only making one change at a time.  Having more than one variable makes it difficult to know what might be the cause.

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

If I were you are would be extremely concerned about the drug combination you are taking and the interaction.

Sometimes when taking too high a dose and/or too much of one type of drug you can have a parodoxical reaction, where the effect is opposite to it's usual effect.

This might be the cause of your increased anxiety.  There is a possibility that the supplement/s you took might have contributed to it.  Obviously if something occurs after you make a change then it might be the change that caused it.  The only way to provide more evidence is to stop the supplements, wait a while and then reintroduce them one at a time.  We are all different and react differently so we have to be our own detective.

There are many existing topics on SA.  You could do a search in the Symptoms and Self Care forum for the supplements.

If you are wanting assistance with tapering your drugs then we are able to assist with that.  If you are, however, planning on staying on your drugs then we will not be able to help with that.