Roboroxxy: Severe depersonalization and derealization from tapering off risperidone

Roboroxxy

I tried to taper off risperidone two times and got derealization and depersonalization both times. The first time I was on a low dose only .5mg and the dpdr was mild and went away when I went back on the medication. Fast forward to to Sept I was trying to taper off again but too quick off a higher dose of 3mg. I now have disabling and extremely severe depersonalization and derealization where I can barely talk or function. I react to food everytime I eat and if I eat too much carbs or too late in the day my depersonalization becomes unbearable. I tried to jump from 3mg to 1.5mg after being on the 3mg dose for approx 2.5 - 3 months. I felt weird so I went back up to 2mg. From there every 3 weeks I tapered .125mg and when I got down to 1.875 I was suddenly struck with severe dpdr. It has gotten dramatically worse since taken ativan on and off for 2 months and taking zoloft for 16 days. I haven't taken either for over 9 days. My risperidone was increased back to 2.375 mg and then to 2.5mg and that's when I felt like adrenaline starting pumping through my body and my sleeping aid had to be upped since the jump in dose of risperidone gave me insomnia. I requested that it be lowered back down to 2.375mg and my dpdr has just gotten worse. I also now suffer from involuntary movements when I try to sleep without sleeping aid and dizziness during sleep or when I try to fall asleep. I believe I am kindled now from going up and down in dose too many times.Can anyone tell me what is going on, I cant live like this

Risperidone:  mid Jan 2018, 1mg; Mar 2020, 3mg; Apr, 1mg; Apr 2021 0.5mg CT, Apr 0.5mg; May, 3mg; mid July 1.5mg, late July 2mg, Aug 1.875mg, late Aug 1.74mg, early Sep 2.375mg, mid Oct 2.5mg, late Oct 2.37mg (current dose)

Cipralex: early Sept for 2 days

Zoloft:  Oct 10th - 25th 25mg

Ativan:  Sept 9th – Oct 26th 1mg (every other day), Nov 4th 1mg (every day or every other day)

• ChessieCat changed the title to Roboroxxy: (do not approve until real name acct merged with new membership - thanks) Severe depersonalization and derealization from tapering off risperidone
  • Karma changed the title to Roboroxxy: Severe depersonalization and derealization from tapering off risperidone

Welcome @Roboroxxy

I'm so sorry you are suffering, but relieved you have found this forum. There can be several reasons you are feeling so terrible. You have been on and off Ativan and Zoloft as well as reducing and increasing Risperidone. In order to determine what is going on and what is the best way forward, we need a clearer picture of when you were/are taking these drugs.

Please create a signature with all of the drugs that you are taking and have been taking in the last couple of years by following these instructions:

How to List Drug History in Signature

Why were you prescribed Ativan and Zoloft? Why did you quit?

Here are some links that might be useful:

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Non-drug techniques for dealing with body pain

Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness, rocking or swaying sensations

Elimination or exclusion diets for reactions to food (food intolerance)

I’m glad you found us, we’re here to support you!

Edited by Kiasofia

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I made a signature but didn't have the space to add all the risperidone dose changes as well as adding the ativan and zoloft. But I was only on Ativan every other day for 2 months and stopped Oct 26th ( started it back up yesterday nov 4th, as it's the only thing that helps with the dementia like fog depersonalization) and the zoloft I was only on for 16 days and stopped Oct 25th. I was put on them to help deal with the extreme anxiety and panic I'm experiencing due to risperidone withdrawal during tapering and being kindled and the resulting disabling derealization and depersonalization. The zoloft made the dpdr so much worse than how it was before I took it. I've now been suffering with chronic dpdr for 2 months 24/7 now. All due to trying to taper off risperidone.

Thank you for all these links, they really help and I'm going to look into these diets and hopefully that will help the depersonalization from being triggered by the things I eat. 

Thanks so much for the support 🙏 

Ps my doctor has said I have become extremely sensitive to medications which is why he took me off the zoloft. I did try cipralex too and couldn't handle that either, both made my dpdr way worse. And now when I take the risperidone I'm hooked on, that also makes me dpdr worse for about 7 hours. My nervous system is just shot and so sensitive now I believe due to all the doseage jumps up and down.

Risperidone:  mid Jan 2018, 1mg; Mar 2020, 3mg; Apr, 1mg; Apr 2021 0.5mg CT, Apr 0.5mg; May, 3mg; mid July 1.5mg, late July 2mg, Aug 1.875mg, late Aug 1.74mg, early Sep 2.375mg, mid Oct 2.5mg, late Oct 2.37mg (current dose)

Ativan:  Sept 9th – Oct 26th 1mg (every other day), Nov 4th 1mg (every day or every other day)

I can't tolerate any supplements or vitamins either sadly, just way too sensitive 

• Moderator Emeritus
49 minutes ago, Roboroxxy said:

I made a signature but didn't have the space to add all the risperidone dose changes as well as adding the ativan and zoloft.

We do need to see the information for the other drugs please.  This allows the staff to see the drug history at a glance and means that we do not waste time reading the posts. 

This can be overcome by having a line for each drug and just adding the date and the dose like this example.  Please include the exact dates for this year, or early / mid / late:

Zoloft:  date, dose; date, dose; date, dose; LAST DOSE date, dose

Risperodone:  mid Jan 2018, 1mg; Mar 2020, 3mg; Apr, 1mg; Apr 2021, CT date?, 0.5mg; date? Apr 0.5mg; date? May, 3mg; ETC (please complete the rest

Ativan:  date, dose; date, dose; date, dose;

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

30 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

We do need to see the information for the other drugs please.  This allows the staff to see the drug history at a glance and means that we do not waste time reading the posts. 

This can be overcome by having a line for each drug and just adding the date and the dose like this example.  Please include the exact dates for this year, or early / mid / late:

Zoloft:  date, dose; date, dose; date, dose; LAST DOSE date, dose

Risperodone:  mid Jan 2018, 1mg; Mar 2020, 3mg; Apr, 1mg; Apr 2021, CT date?, 0.5mg; date? Apr 0.5mg; date? May, 3mg; ETC (please complete the rest

Ativan:  date, dose; date, dose; date, dose;

I fixed it, sorry I'm still learning everthing around here, thanks for the help!

8 hours ago, Kiasofia said:

Welcome @Roboroxxy

I'm so sorry you are suffering, but relieved you have found this forum. There can be several reasons you are feeling so terrible. You have been on and off Ativan and Zoloft as well as reducing and increasing Risperidone. In order to determine what is going on and what is the best way forward, we need a clearer picture of when you were/are taking these drugs.

Please create a signature with all of the drugs that you are taking and have been taking in the last couple of years by following these instructions:

How to List Drug History in Signature

Why were you prescribed Ativan and Zoloft? Why did you quit?

Here are some links that might be useful:

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Non-drug techniques for dealing with body pain

Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness, rocking or swaying sensations

Elimination or exclusion diets for reactions to food (food intolerance)

I’m glad you found us, we’re here to support you!

Hi @Roboroxxy

Thank you for your patience as we try to get this all straight.

Was October 25th the last day you took 25mg Zoloft?

Do you now take 1mg Ativan every day?

Can you see if I got this right? And then, after making any corrections, copy and paste it into your signature:

Risperidone:  mid Jan 2018, 1mg; Mar 2020, 3mg; Apr, 1mg; Apr 2021 0.5mg CT, Apr 0.5mg; May, 3mg; mid July 1.5mg, late July 2mg, Aug 1.875mg, late Aug 1.74mg, early Sep 2.375mg, mid Oct 2.5mg, late Oct 2.37mg (current dose)

Zoloft:  Oct 10th - 25th 25mg

Ativan:  Sept 9th – Oct 26th 1mg (every other day), Nov 4th 1mg (how often?)

13 hours ago, Roboroxxy said:

My nervous system is just shot and so sensitive now I believe due to all the doseage jumps up and down.

I think you are correct about this. Starting and quitting psychiatric drugs sensitizes the central nervous system (CNS) and makes the result of adding new drugs unpredictable. Supplements can also be too much to handle.

Until we decide on the best course of action, don't add in any other drugs or supplements. I think this is the most important link to read: Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

17 minutes ago, Kiasofia said:

Hi @Roboroxxy

Thank you for your patience as we try to get this all straight.

Was October 25th the last day you took 25mg Zoloft?

Do you now take 1mg Ativan every day?

Can you see if I got this right? And then, after making any corrections, copy and paste it into your signature:

Risperidone:  mid Jan 2018, 1mg; Mar 2020, 3mg; Apr, 1mg; Apr 2021 0.5mg CT, Apr 0.5mg; May, 3mg; mid July 1.5mg, late July 2mg, Aug 1.875mg, late Aug 1.74mg, early Sep 2.375mg, mid Oct 2.5mg, late Oct 2.37mg (current dose)

Zoloft:  Oct 10th - 25th 25mg

Ativan:  Sept 9th – Oct 26th 1mg (every other day), Nov 4th 1mg (how often?)

I think you are correct about this. Starting and quitting psychiatric drugs sensitizes the central nervous system (CNS) and makes the result of adding new drugs unpredictable. Supplements can also be too much to handle.

Until we decide on the best course of action, don't add in any other drugs or supplements. I think this is the most important link to read: Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

Thank you so much for helping me with my signature, this is all correct. Thanks again, I have copied and pasted it.

Thanks for your reply too, this all makes much sense. I think I'm just going to try and stabilize on this dose of risperidone for a cpl of Months hopefully and wish for the best.

I have to say after going back on Ativan on Nov 4th my depersonalization has come down a notch but I worry when I taper off the ativan will my Derealization get worse again like it did when I stopped Ativan and zoloft. Also, I can only seem to tolerate eggs right now for food. Carbs just send my depersonalization into a dementia like state where I can't talk, read, or listen to people and become so numb emotionally and can't feel my body. Why do you think food is triggering worse depersonalization? Also I can't remember if I mentioned this but since I have come off the zoloft I have severe tinnitus. 

Thanks for all your help, 🙏💜

Ok, I think waiting and stabilizing on this dose sounds like a good idea.

42 minutes ago, Roboroxxy said:

when I taper off the ativan will my Derealization get worse again like it did when I stopped Ativan and zoloft

It is hard to say. But derealization is a withdrawal symptom that lessens over time. Here is a thread about it. Try to use Ativan as sparingly as possible. Perhaps see if half a pill can alleviate symptoms. Benzodiazpines can offer short term relief, but can end up increasing anxiety so they are not ideal.

When you are ready to taper please read these links first:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

Tips for tapering off risperidone (Risperdal)

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

59 minutes ago, Roboroxxy said:

Why do you think food is triggering worse depersonalization?

I don't know, but foods that cause inflammation (gluten, dairy, sugar, corn, additives) can trigger mental illness symptoms. I found the book Brain Maker

interesting regarding this.

1 hour ago, Roboroxxy said:

I have come off the zoloft I have severe tinnitus. 

This can be a side effect of the drug or caused by withdrawal. There is a thread about tinnitus here. Some get better, and some don't, but lets assume you are in the "will get better" category❤️

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing!

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

13 minutes ago, Kiasofia said:

It is hard to say. But derealization is a withdrawal symptom that lessens over time. Here is a thread about it. 

Thanks for all the info and help. I just tried to click on this thread link but it just directed me back to my post? 

Thanks

I was also doing the wim hof cold shower method before I came down with dpdr. Do you think I should stay away from cold shower therapy as it's a shock to my nervous system?

Second try: Derealization or Depersonalization

Good question about cold showers. I haven't even thought of this. I've been doing it for half a year now without problems, but I was fairly stable at the time. I did a quick search and found this thread.

To find things on the forum I find the easiest is to type "survivingantidepressants.org + what you're searching for" into a search engine.

Edited by Kiasofia

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

Thank you, I read in that thread that someone else had experienced the same as me in terms of worsening of symptoms after eating. I know it's not due to blood sugar or glucose as I tried to eat foods that didn't spike sugar levels and I still reacted.

Dizziness as I fall asleep that whips me back awake?

Ever since I went up and down in dose of risperidone, it got to the point where I now become dizzy with burning and Tremor like feeling in my head when I'm falling asleep that always whips me back awake while I continue to feel dizzy afterwards. I now have involuntary body jerks when trying to fall asleep also with tinnitus. Has this happened to anyone while trying to taper off meds?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Adverse reactions now to risperidone

Hi, I am now having adverse reactions to risperidone that I'm trying to stabilize on after trying to taper (and got severe derealizationand depersonalization from). I become very agitated and angry with severe restless leg syndrome. My brain feels buzzy and like it was burning with adrenaline. My heart starts racing, my temperature goes up and I det this dizzy feeling when I try to sleep.  Even a sleeping pill couldn't put me to sleep last night as I was beyond agitated. My arms and body jolts as I fall asleep too. 

When my doctor tried to up dose me .125mg I had an abnormal reaction to it where I had insomnia and felt like I was wide awake with adrenaline racing through my body. Normally before it used to help me sleep. I've just been up and down so many times in dose I think I've kindled.

Would you guys still suggest a slow taper, since tapering off is what caused severe depersonalization and derealization and I'm now experiencing adverse reactions? I noticed during tapering my mind would race with intrusive negative thoughts over and over like ocd. There was nothing I could do to calm myself down and that was tapering .125mg off each dose.

Any help would be appreciated 🙏 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I've merged your new topic with your Introduction topic.

SA works differently to many other forums.  Each member has their own Introduction topic (only one).  Your Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions specific to your own situation and where you can journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means that you do not have to repeat your story.

Staff regularly check for new posts that members make in the Introductions forum.  However because SA, which only has a small staff of volunteers, is a very busy site with a lot of members needing assistance, the staff do not always see posts made in the other areas of the site, so posts made elsewhere may be missed.

Are you still taking 2.37mg Risperidone or you have made changes? The recommendation is to not taper more until you have stabilized.

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg