Alex23: Remeron or Trazodone

Alex23

Hello,

I'm Alex and I currently relapsed into an episode of extreme GAD ( 24/7 fear) so I now taking diazepam with little to no succes. 

My doctor want to add me Remeron 30mg or Trazodone 150mg because I reacted badly to SSRI in the past.

Please, from your experiences, can you answer me the following questions?

- which of them has the most potent anxiolitic effect?

-which of them is more tolerated( less side effects like weight gain, derealization, numb emotions, sexual disfunction etc?

- anectodically, which one is the easiest to withdraw from?

Thank you very much!

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Alex23: Remeron or Trazodone
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alex23 and welcome to SA,

SA is a site for tapering/withdrawal of psychiatric drugs.  Sorry, but we do not make suggestions about what drug you could try next.

Q:  What SSRI were you taking before?

Q:  When did the bad reaction occur?  For example:  starting the drug, increasing the dose, decreasing the dose, stopping the drug.

Please create your drug signature so that we can see your drug history at a glance.  Include doses and the dates for the dose changes.  See the instructions linked below.

Depending on what happened with the SSRI, and if your current issue is due to withdrawal of that drug, reinstatement of a small dose of that same drug might be an option.  However, this would not be an option if you had an immediate adverse reaction to it.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Once we know more details we will be better able to know if reinstatement might be helpful in your situation.

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE.  Your Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions about your own situation and where you can journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means that you do not have to repeat your story.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I was in 2012-2013 on venlafaxine, followed by escitalopram. I had all of the worst side effects on them( derealization, confusion, mental fog, impotence, bad GI, no emotions..). I CT both and benzos I have been on. Took me 6 years to heal, unable to function.

Now I need an AD because I relapsed into extreme anxiety and doctor wants me to try one from another class other than SSRI/SNRI that I have been on. He suggested Remeron or Trazodone. I jus want to know how others tolerated these drugs and if they are as bad withdrawing like the common ADs.

I want to stick with one and after stabilization to do a microtaper using a scale.

But I really need to know which one has the most anxiolitic effect and easiest to withdraw from. I don't take it as a rule, but other experiences would help me a lot.

Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus
27 minutes ago, Alex23 said:

But I really need to know which one has the most anxiolitic effect and easiest to withdraw from. I don't take it as a rule, but other experiences would help me a lot.

Because SA is a site for getting off drugs, it is highly unlikely that you will find members posting about how good a drug worked for them.  Most members are here because most medical professionals do not know how to get people off their drugs safely.  The members are here because they are having difficulties get off their drug and the reason they want to get off their drug is usually because of the issues that they had whilst taking the drug.  That is the reason I joined SA.  I had mild serotonin syndrome and it was only through my own research that I discovered that was what wrong with me.  My doctor did not make the diagnosis.

If you have had issues with other psychiatric drugs then if might be that you will have issues with any psychiatric drug.

SA is a very busy site and is staffed by a small number of unpaid peers (not medical professionals) helping members to get off their drugs.  As already stated we are not able to assist you with your question about new drugs.

I suggest that you contact your doctor and ask him what you want to know about the drugs.  Or a pharmacist.

For your future reference about tapering see:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ    Post #1 of this topic has links to different drugs and how to get non standard doses for tapering.

Please be aware that drug shopping on SA is NOT permitted.  From "What will get you warned or banned":

On 6/16/2011 at 4:45 AM, Altostrata said:

Drug shopping or recommending drugs

This is a site for going off drugs. It is not a site for finding out what drug to take next, comparing drug cocktails, or recommending what drug to add. This could be dangerous

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

@Alex23Please read this thread: 

Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

And this article:

Irving Kirsch: The Placebo Effect and What It Tells Us About Antidepressant Efficacy

In the comment section, Steve gives this great list of alternatives:

* Exercise
* Sleep
* Support groups
* Journaling
* Talk therapy with a COMPETENT trauma-focused therapist 
* Meditation and other spiritual practices
* Changes in life circumstances that create unresolved stress (boring job, bad relationships, kids out of control, etc.)
* Active volunteer work
* Political activism to resolve poverty, racism, and other issues that impact lots of people’s emotional state
* Seems silly but highly underrated: stop watching/reading the news!