Flowership: Fluoxetine - influence on hormones?

Flowership

I am 39, suffered from OCD and major depression since age 18. Went to counseling and was prescribed Escitalopram 5mg. After 1 year switched to Fluoxetine 20mg. Adverse side effect: weight gain. Tried to quit after 1 year but was advised to go back on after tapering was unsuccessful and I suffered from extreme anxiety. 1 year later and I successfully tapered off starting August this year (2021) with 10mg, and coming off AD in October. Have since experienced mood swings, extreme irritability, nausea, insomnia and bouts of shivering. Now, since end of December, extreme sadness, making my worry that my depression has returned. My metabolism is still not back to normal and despite eating less and exercising, the weight has not budged. However, my sweat glands have regulated themselves. Before the taper I had very dry skin, now the opposite, need to wash my hair daily, sometimes even 2 a day! I have mood swings that I also had at the beginning of the year, part of the reason I decided to go off my AD, I felt I was becoming bipolar or something. Can these symptoms be a sign of AD influencing my hormones? How long will it take for my body to return to normal and how do  distinguish between withdrawal and potential return of depression? How long can withdrawal last?

2018-2019 escitalopram 5mg
2019-2021 switch to fluoxetine 20mg, slow taper down to 10 mg from 1.Aug-30.Sept

from Oct 2021 off meds

Welcome @Flowership

I'm sorry you are struggling. Your symptoms are typical withdrawal symptoms after too fast a taper. What was the last dose of Fluoxetine you took?

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Withdrawal or relapse? Or something else?

Unfortunately medical professionals have a poor understanding of how these drugs affect people. I found this post helpful to understand how these drugs actually work and why healing takes time:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain  

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization  

Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. Once you have stabilized on a low dose of the drug, then a slower, safer taper can be started. Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, be careful with supplements. Your central nervous system (CNS) has become sensitized from psychiatric drug use and can react unpredictably. Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and other mind altering substances can make the condition worse.

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Here is our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover. 

Symptoms and self care topics  

To help us better advise you, can you please create a signature with all of the drugs that you are taking and have been taking in the last couple of years following these instructions:

How to List Drug History in Signature

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Kiasofia

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

• Kiasofia changed the title to Flowership: Fluoxetine - influence on hormones?

Dear Kiasofia,

Thank you for your reply and the helpful information! 😍

After taking 20mg fluoxetine for 2 years I reduced to 10mg and stayed on that dose for 2 months. I assumed the next step would be to halve my tablet, meaning I would take 5mg, however, my doctor saw no need, saying the effect of the drug was non-existent at 5mg. I was surprised as I had previously researched tapering but trusted my doctor's opinion and stopped the meds altogether.

The first few weeks I didn't notice much but gradually the symptoms came, an onset of 4-6 weeks later, and worsening rather than improving. 

I'm really glad this forum exists! Doctors are definitely in the dark when it comes to AD, their side effects and quitting!

Thanks so much again! I will be viewing the links you sent me!

Have a great 2022!

2018-2019 escitalopram 5mg
2019-2021 switch to fluoxetine 20mg, slow taper down to 10 mg from 1.Aug-30.Sept

from Oct 2021 off meds

The same thing happened to me. Too many doctors do not understand how to deal with these drugs and give dangerous advice. We have this thread about dealing with them: How to talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal? What to expect?

Let me know if you have any questions after reading the links.

If you need any advice specific to you and your situation, please ask it here in your introduction thread. Otherwise, feel free to join discussions on other threads. To make sure I or someone sees your question, tag them by writing @ and then start typing their username. A drop down menu will appear. Click on their username and it will turn blue.

The search function on this site doesn't work very well. To find things on the forum I find the easiest is to type "survivingantidepressants.org + what you're searching for" into a search engine.

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg