Wolfmamma: mid-dose brain zaps

Wolfmamma

Hi , I am currently on 75mg Effexor at dinner time and get brain zaps approx. 12hours later if I inadvertently miss my dose. Recently, even though I have not missed a dose,  I have been getting them mid-dose ie before my next dose is due. The only common factor seems to be is it seems to happen if I am sick or feeling something coming on. Does it make sense that the drug might metabolize differently when I am sick or my immune system is down? I might not be able to do anything but I am trying to figure out why this is intermittently happening. 

Wolfmamma

Effexor 150 mg: 2010-2017

Down to 37.5 mg: 2017 

Back up to 75mg: 2017 - present

history of SNRI discontinuation syndrome

• ChessieCat changed the title to Wolfmamma: mid-dose brain zaps
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Wolfmamma and welcome to SA,

Thank you for creating your drug signature.

49 minutes ago, Wolfmamma said:

I am currently on 75mg Effexor at dinner time and get brain zaps approx. 12hours later if I inadvertently miss my dose.

This is not unusual and is a withdrawal symptom.  I have experienced this myself when I missed my Pristiq dose. Mos psychiatric drugs are made so that it covers a 24 hour period and it needs to be taken at about the same time of the day every day.

52 minutes ago, Wolfmamma said:

Recently, even though I have not missed a dose,  I have been getting them mid-dose ie before my next dose is due.

Q:  Are you taking a whole capsule/tablet or are you taking some beads out of a capsule, or cutting a tablet to get your dose?

Q:  Have you recently got a new prescription?  If yes, check to see that it is an extended release version of the drug.

Q:  Have you changed from brand to generic or the other way around, or has the given you a different one to what you had taken before?

Q:  Is the drug out of date, or been stored incorrectly, ie too hot or too cold?

Q:  How long has this been happening?

Q:  Other than the zaps have you noticed anything else, eg you feel like the drug is working like it used to?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

I am wondering if your drug has reached tolerance, also known as tachyphylaxis and poop out.  I will discuss it with the other staff and get their thoughts.

This is your own Introduction topic which is the best place to ask questions.  Once we have the answer to my questions we might be better able to work out what is happening.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I am taking a whole capsule and haven’t changed my dosage in at least 2 years. Yes it is venlafaxine XR but has always been. It is stored correctly. It has been happening intermittently for at least a year but more often lately, maybe once a month-ish. I can’t say if its working less, I originally start taking it for hot flashes which are long gone bit haven’t been able to get off this hellish drug . I have tried twice in the past but not slow enough and couldn’t handle the withdrawal. Having said that I have a pretty stressful life so who knows how I would be doing if I wasn’t taking it. I hope I am not at tolerance as I don’t want to have to take more.  

Edited by ChessieCat
removed response from quote and removed quote

Wolfmamma

Effexor 150 mg: 2010-2017

Down to 37.5 mg: 2017 

Back up to 75mg: 2017 - present

history of SNRI discontinuation syndrome

• Administrator

Welcome, @Wolfmamma If you've been taking your drug inconsistently, with intermittent withdrawal symptoms such as brain zaps, this can make your nervous system progressively more sensitive to psychoactive drugs. Odd symptoms can result; these might even be called "treatment resistance". This appears to be your situation.

This is a site for going off drugs. Do you want to taper off 75mg Effexor?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.