beherenow: Should I start tapering Mirtazapine?

beherenow

Hi there,

After a rough C/T from lorazepam (.05mg/daily - one month use), I went into severe acute w/d and subsequently brought on 4mg of diazepam and 7.5mg of mirtazapine to stabilize. I had vey little support from the doctor who prescribed the lorazepam, so kind of muddled through this mess on my own and with the support of an online forum. 

I am currently feeling stable in my taper, and down to 3.4mg of diazepam. I have been mostly guided by various folks, including my new doctor, whom I like, to taper off diazepam first and then deal with the mirtazapine. However, I am doing a slow diazepam taper, and concerned about being on Mirtazapine long term. I would like to pause my diazepam taper and reduce the mirt, at least to 3.75, before I'm on it much longer.

The Mirtazapine did help with the acute sxs - I am sure of this. But it also causes severe abdominal distension for me. I was on it once before and had the same side effects. I also may have had some bad gastro withdrawal symptoms from it ... they came over a month after going off it, but I believe it was connected.

Here's my question: Since I've only been on it one month, would now be a good time to try to reduce? Could I go a bit quicker than 10%/month since it's only been one month? I'm quite nervous about having this drug in my system for another year as I complete my benzo taper and then potentially have to wait some time before I can proceed with a long, potentially 3-year taper, off 7.5mg ...

Hope this question makes sense and would love any feedback. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to beherenow: Should I start tapering Mirtazapine?
  • Administrator

Welcome, @beherenow

On 2/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, beherenow said:

The Mirtazapine did help with the acute sxs - I am sure of this. But it also causes severe abdominal distension for me. I was on it once before and had the same side effects. I also may have had some bad gastro withdrawal symptoms from it ... they came over a month after going off it, but I believe it was connected.

How do you feel before and after taking mirtazapine each day? When are these symptoms at their worst?

Given you've recently had severe withdrawal from going off lorazepam, we would worry that your nervous system is sensitized and may not respond well to a more rapid taper. Risk of withdrawal rises after only a month of drug use -- and a shorter period for benzos, which you have unfortunately discovered.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.