waldver: Pregabalin addiction

waldver

Hi guys I can see that most of you’ve been prescribed drugs by your family doctor.

im addicted to Pregabalin and have been taking in excess of x 6 of 300mgs daily.

im too ashamed to tell anyone.

no one, knows; it’s my dirty little secret. I’m from the uk, here we can buy nurofen plus - it contains 200mg ibuprofen and 12.8mg codeine. I’d go from chemist to chemist, buying boxes of 24 and taking it all. Was addicted to those for years. Managed to stop (opiate Wds intolerable) by taking Pregabalin too away most of symptoms. Now I’m addicted to this horrible poison.

I need to reduce - from what I can gather 1st step is stabilise on a dose, then 10% a month.

Could do with just letting people in, even anonymously. The anxiety, I’m frightened on people when I feel it leaving my system. Can’t really be doing with NA and the God/Higher Power, I’ve tried believe me. I’m really not someone who’s gone from crack dens to court to rehab to God (not that I’m judging) but I’m an ordinary guy, I’ve always worked and held a regular job. In fact it’s that needing to function and keep going that keeps me addicted.

I just needed to reach out

My Intro topic

Venlafaxine 225mg per day

Pregabalin 1800 mg per day

nurofen plus (each tablet contains 200mg ibuprofen 12.8mg codeine) 24 per day

i have to CT off the nurofen plus asap

guys, I’m going to keep checking in with you. It’s been a real help reading the Ashton protocol

• ChessieCat changed the title to waldver: Pregabalin addiction

@waldver

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer run site helping member such as yourself.

Could you please create a drug signature. Thanks.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I'm going to give you a link to BeyondGabapentinoinds where they will be able to help you with the Pregabalin.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

@waldver

Hi 

I am so glad you have joined this group. Don’t be fooled by the name as SA has years of experience of helping pentinoid dependant people and the Lyrica group has been give sanctuary here too. I look forward to you completing your signature.

I must point out that you are on a very big dose.  You must be determined to reduce at a steady rate no faster than 10% a month. We have seen folk being “brave” and coming down too fast and having seizures. 
There is no reason why you can’t get off this stuff, I have witnessed many success stories over the years. 
It is important that you do not taper another drug at the same time if possible. 
In the Uk docs are trying to get folk off Preg by using a fast method (unsafe) or adding an antidepressant which seems crazy to me. 

@Frogie is very experienced at benzo withdrawal and I know she sees similarities with pentinoid withdrawal. 
From my experience I would note that there are quite a lot of neurological pathways to rebuild in time. 
Those of us who succeeded in coming off have needed quite a lot of reassurance along the way. 
For me it was important to have a very through blood screen because Preg seems to reduce absorption of essential vits and minerals. 
Correcting my deficiencies in B12 Folate Iron and Vit D helped during my withdrawal. 
The search engine on SA is very useful. Even entering gabapentinoids will give you a host of advice. 
I am not a moderator and can only pass on things I have learnt from the groups. 
If you want to use supplements to aid your symptoms you must research them yourself of course.  
Good wishes —link from most senior member below. 

OldDodgy 

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

Hey @waldver and welcome. I'm so glad you are here!!!  Please do not feel ashamed and there is certainly no judgement here,  those nasty pills called my name from a closed bottle.  And I've neve been behind anything before in my life, at least not before I got hurt.  I was on huge doses for a while, 900 mg a day. And in a couple of months I will have 2 years free woo hooo!!! You can do it too, the 10 percent rule holding for 2 to 4 weeks worked real well for me. Sometimes I held longer to get well before I dropped again.  Just remember it's a marathon not a sprint, and don't go back up in dose. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other day by day and one day you can be free too. Im just a regular gal too, but did rely heavily on my Faith thru my withdrawal. So I do include us here in my prayers. Please reach out when you need help.  Hang in there XO 

MJF 

MerryJayneFriday

Polydrugged for many years after dx of Failed Back surgery.   Tapered from Lyrica from 2016 to 2020

Quit 10 mg oxycontin Sept 2021

currently taking 5mg oxycodone every 4 to 5 hours

Thank you merry Jayne Friday,  I’d love to hear your Oklahoma accent 😍 and the Ashton resource has been invaluable, thank you

if it’s ok, I’ll keep posting from time to time. Really does help to feel supported in this and that I’m not alone

My Intro topic

Venlafaxine 225mg per day

Pregabalin 1800 mg per day

nurofen plus (each tablet contains 200mg ibuprofen 12.8mg codeine) 24 per day

i have to CT off the nurofen plus asap

guys, I’m going to keep checking in with you. It’s been a real help reading the Ashton protocol

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, waldver said:

if it’s ok, I’ll keep posting from time to time. Really does help to feel supported in this and that I’m not alone

Hello and welcome from me too,

That's exactly what a member's Introduction topic is for here at SA.  It's the best place to ask questions specific to your own situation and journal your progress and be supported by the community.  It also keeps your history in one place and means you do not need to repeat your story.

Please remember to update your drug signature whenever you make a change so that it remains current.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@waldver

I hope you are feeling supported in SA

Could I just share with you that after a back injury I took many too many ibuprofen and had a small stomach bleed. ?  Most chemists do warn you but just hoping you were advised! 
OldDodgy

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing.