Greg69: Thanks for your help - All

Greg69

Hi All,

I find myself in a situation I find totally mind boggling. I was on Lexapro for only 7 months from 2020 in to 2021, I am 9 months off the medication and still having major Issues from this medication, I see from this site their are many thousands of people in the same boat so to speak, I hope you all find a way to recover ASAP, This medication had totally ruined my life, lost my Job, wife and many Thousands of pounds in trying to find a solution, I have been given some hope since I found this site, Thank you, when I took the medication my Doctor advised a term of 6 - 9 months the I would be a little uncomfortable for 2 - 4 weeks when I stopped, 9 months off, Im still what it fields like Im fighting for what is left of my life, my symptoms are still very severe - Tinnitus, Insomnia, muscle aches all over, 100s of moods swings ever day, Just looking for any advise on how to move forward, its great to see so many success stories it gives me hope, I also have done a great deal of research on the companies that make SSRI and they pay out Billions of pounds in compensation each year for people suffering I we all are, my question is how can companies simply get away with in 2022, they are destroying peoples lives for profit not telling people the truth around these medications, ok some SSRI do help people but surly there should accountability in these companies to give the patient the correct Information for each person to make their own judgement, I can only only describe this stuff as poison due to the damage it has done to myself and my life, one last question has anyone taken legal action against their GP/Doctor as I am thinking about it and would pass any won fund on to a mental health charity, apologies for the lenght but Im just looking for some positive feedback to help me move forward, many thanks everyone

HI

Lexapro 5mg 16/10/21 to 16/11/21 - Lexapro 10mg 16/11/21 to 16/12/21 - decided not for me started an advised taper Lexapro 7.5mg 17/12/21 to 17/12/22 - Lexapro 5mg 18/1/22 to 18/2/22 - Lexapro 2.5mg 19/2/22 to 5/4/22 - Lexapro 1.25mg 6/4/22 to 7/6/22 - Then stopped completely, no further meds taken

• ChessieCat changed the title to Greg69: Thanks for your help - All
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm very sorry to hear that you have lost you wife and your job.  I fully agree with you in your assessment of the corruption of drug companies and the health care system.  I, too, have been damaged by Lexapro, but am gradually recovering and tapering off.  When you got off the Lexapro, did you go off cold turkey, or did you taper off? 

Can you please give us specific information in your signature about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Use this format:

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Etcetera

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.   This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why we suggest a slow and gradual taper on this forum. 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Since you got off the Lexapro 9 months ago, have you had any improvements in your withdrawal symptoms at all?  If not, we could consider doing a small reinstatement to help reduce withdrawal symptoms.   

I've not heard of anyone on here who took legal action against their doctor.  The trouble is, it's impossible to prove, since there are no physical tests that can show harm from psychiatric drugs.  Doctors tend to blame it on the patients original condition returning.  I know this is very frustrating and disheartening.  The good news is, we do recover, but it requires lots of time and patience.  The nervous system is amazing in it's healing capacities, but since it is so complex, it takes a very long time.  

Do keep in touch, and let us know how you are doing.   

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

@Greg69how are you doing? 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Hi Getofflex,

Hope your well?

Reply to your questions

I am still in a great deal of difficulty, symptoms are changing every 5 - 7 days but still a real struggle, I am now at nearly 11 months since I stopped Lexapro, I am still under a private Mental health chap, he went through this same process and it took him 14 months to fully recover, The process just stops over night, well with normally 7 - 10 days, then it can take a further 4 - 6 for the person to climb back to a normal life, I have done a great deal of research over the last few weeks and this seems to be the pattern that almost all recover through with an average time of recovery 6 - 18 months, I guess many factors contribute the final end date, I was only on Lexapro for 7 months, its devastating for me and my family but I see everyone eventually gets through this, could I ask you question Getofflex for your advise, How come the Doctors or Pharma companies get away with this and more people are not suing for damages, I notice is the US it is starting to become more of an avenue than the UK, here in the UK it very feels like its accepted that this is what happens, in my book this  doesn't seem right, hundred of thousands of peoples lives ruined for a good period of time and the companies still advise 2-4 week withdrawal, out of the 8 people I know who have been on SSRi 7 have had horrendous withdrawal Issues, it is shocking situation, I look forward to your reply and any further advice, Kind Regards Greg 

HI

Lexapro 5mg 16/10/21 to 16/11/21 - Lexapro 10mg 16/11/21 to 16/12/21 - decided not for me started an advised taper Lexapro 7.5mg 17/12/21 to 17/12/22 - Lexapro 5mg 18/1/22 to 18/2/22 - Lexapro 2.5mg 19/2/22 to 5/4/22 - Lexapro 1.25mg 6/4/22 to 7/6/22 - Then stopped completely, no further meds taken