pennyblues4: Pregabalin withdrawal journey

pennyblues4

Hi everyone and thanks for accepting me. I'm humbled by what I have read here. Today I took what I hope is my last 200mg of pregabalin (I've been on 200mg twice daily for a year) and tonight I start my first reduction- 175mg. My psychiatrist has said it is better to reduce both doses at the same time so I'll be on 175mg twice daily, for the next couple of months.

I am frightened. I've been stable on this for months now and been able to pick up parts of my life that lay in ruins, I thought, but were just dormant. I love to travel by train to visit my daughters and go to new places. I started Park Run and joined a running club. Before this there was a 2 year blur of burnout, break down, addiction to and withdrawal from sleeping tablets and tranquilizers. I'm frightened I might return to that time.

But I know there are problems with taking pregabalin long term and I already struggle with some of the memory problems so...here goes. 

I hope to be able to record here what happens on this journey, good or bad. Who knows where this train will take me? 

1998- 2020 Citalopram 20mg daily

Mar-Dec 2020 Diazepam 2mg rising to 5mg 3 times a day

June 2020 Mirtazapine 30mg replacing Citalopram 

July- December 2020 Zoplicone 5mg nightly

August 2020 Sertraline replacing Mirtazapine for 2 weeks then back on Mirtazapine 

January 2021- present Pregabalin 200mg twice daily 

• ChessieCat changed the title to pennyblues4: Pregabalin withdrawal journey

@pennyblues4

Welcome to SA.

Could you please create a signature for us. Thank you very much.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I'm going to give you a link to get started. @MerryJayneFriday should be along shortly to welcome you to the group.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

pregabalin withdrawal journey update 1

Hi all and thanks for reading. Well it's the end of week one of my first reduction from 200mg twice daily to 175 mg twice daily. Nothing to report, I didn't notice anything until today when my memory seemed even worse than usual. Which is frustrating and strange as one of the reasons I want to reduce and hopefully ultimately withdraw, is to regain my short term memory. I forget dates, things that are being planned, the order of things. The other big thing that happened this week is my community psychiatric nurse left. I've been given a support worker instead who I will see monthly and firstly in April. Super bad timing! I really need someone through this time of coming off pregabalin. As well as the psychiatrist I mean as, to be honest, I feel they mostly administer medication. 

Well that's all for now. I know if seems like nothing, but I want to continue writing even if there are no apparent symptoms, as I think this will be a long journey. Lots of loving kindness everyone! 😊

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

August 2020 Sertraline replacing Mirtazapine for 2 weeks then back on Mirtazapine 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've merged your new Introduction topic with your original Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Please post any updates and questions about your own situation here.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hello @pennyblues4 and welcome!  Glad to see you took the first step of your journey!  I had horrible memory issues when I was tapering, I had to write everything down or I forgot. But it's so much better now I'm coming up on 2 years off. Hang in there and make sure you stabilize between drops. 

Holler if I can help XO 

MJF

MerryJayneFriday

Polydrugged for many years after dx of Failed Back surgery.   Tapered from Lyrica from 2016 to 2020

Quit 10 mg oxycontin Sept 2021

currently taking 5mg oxycodone every 4 to 5 hours

Welcome @pennyblues4

let’s look forward to you reaching your goal!  

If my maths is right you have dropped 50mg from 400mg and from bitter experience I think going at quicker than ten% can be a bit fast 

It’s often ok at those doses but as you get lower it can hurt.  I know the psych wants to keep it simple with 25 being the smallest capsule but learning to water titrate at a slower rate is worthy of consideration perhaps.  I came down from 150 really slowly with water titration of the 50 mg caps and finally the 25s. 

Are you still on mirtazipine ?  I’ve done that one as well and I didn’t wait long enough before tapering that after coming off pregabalin. 

Certainly I would be wary of lowing both together. 

I do wish you well— if you look at my signature you will see I was a bit chaotic but saved by sensible advice from fellow travellers. 

OldDodgy i

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

@pennyblues4

I've merged your new Introduction topic with your original Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Please post any updates and questions about your own situation here.  Thank you. Frogie

Hi folks, well it's the end of week 3, nothing much to report as the 50mg reduction will stay now until another 8 weeks and my next reduction. Which happens to coincide with the date I've signed up to run a half marathon- haha! More on my discovery of running another time... It's sometimes hard to know what is a new symptom and what is just my imaginings- but there perhaps is the heart of it: that these drugs put a barrier between our bodies and our selves, our ability to listen accurately becomes distorted. Amongst the fears of coming off this drug- the possible withdrawal effects and how terrifying those can be- is a looking forward to saying hello to myself again, to greeting myself like an old friend. 

So, perhaps I've been a little more anxious, perhaps a little more inclined to tears this week; or perhaps those are just human emotions. And still the memory issues- very real and quite scary and making me feel quite embarrassed. 

Enough for now- to you who take the time to read this, thank you so much and I hope you have a good week. 

Edited by Frogie