TokingVet: 1999, Anxiety. 2022, Tardive dysphoria.

TokingVet

I can't believe I just found this and I can't believe the scam is so good, it's even been kept from the doctors.  Had one tell me today that it was just a theory and dismissed it.  Anyway...

50+ male, disabled veteran (Army)

1999 - I have symptoms that indicate pre-diabetes, but my doctor diagnosed anxiety and give me this magic little 10mg pull called Lexapro. It initially makes me feel great, but the symptoms I told my doc about persisted.  Not many years later I would be diagnosed diabetic type 2.

2021 - Over 20 years of a rollercoaster of different SSRIs, temporary ups, deep dark downs, and several hospitalizations I took dramatic steps.  I microdosed psilocybin using the Fadiman Protocol to help me weather withdrawal.  Little did I know that psilocybin is a seratonin receptor agonist and I was helping myself neurochemically by accident.  I was so messed up when I started that I don't know how long it's been.  6-10 months?  

2022 - My mind is clearer than it has been in a while, but I have a way to go.  My primary care doc is on board and says it's like my body chemistry is resetting.  It's wreaking havoc on me physically and I know my mind is still recovering, but I'm ready to start this next phase of this adventure.

• ChessieCat changed the title to TokingVet: 1999, Anxiety. 2022, Tardive dysphoria.

Tapering with Psilocybin (topic moved from Success Story forum)

Looking at this site, I definitely tapered too fast.  I couldn't even be late on taking SSRIs without symptoms, but microdosing psilocybin made the withdrawal much milder than it was when I attempted in the past.  What I found out after the fact is that psilocybin works by binding to the seratonin receptors!  I just wonder how long a full recovery takes.  About 6 months later, I am doing well, but my body is adjusting and changing like I'm going through puberty 2.0 or something (I'm in my 50s).  And, uh, no depression?  I don't miss it, but I weirdly miss how comfortable the depression bed was. 

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C33&as_vis=1&q=psilocybin+for+ssri+tapering&oq=psilocybin+for+SSRI+taper#d=gs_qabs&t=1651615791836&u=%23p%3D-HIVKVTPo0oJ

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic (moved from success stories)
  • Administrator

Welcome, @TokingVet

This is a site for tapering psychiatric drugs and for withdrawal syndrome. Do you think you have protracted withdrawal syndrome? How may we help you?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@TokingVet

Welcome to SA. You have come to the right place. The community support from both mods and peers is unparalleled. 

Sorry about your drug rollercoaster. I've never been one for amusement park rides, but I guess I've unwittingly ended up on my fair share. Psychiatric wonderland... 

On 5/4/2022 at 12:17 AM, TokingVet said:

my body is adjusting and changing like I'm going through puberty 2.0 or something

This made me smile. It's so true, withdrawal can sometimes feel like going through puberty all over again. The unpredictability and chaos and sheer weirdness of being in this wobbly wavy withdrawal body, going through such unbelievable and often highly unpleasant sensory experiences... It's wild! Sometimes I feel like, Hey body, can you do your healing over there and I'll just hang out over here and wait... You just let me know when you're done. But I guess I'm along for the ride. 

You know, prior to withdrawal, my whole adult life I used to comfort myself by saying to myself, "At least I'm not 13 anymore..." I felt like having survived puberty and adolescence (I wouldn't wish my teen years on anyone), the worst was behind me. I can honestly say withdrawal is worse. 

The good news is, it gets better. In time we will be off of this ride and get out of the merry-go-round, free to leave the fairgrounds.

Best of luck to you on your healing journey, 

A. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice.