augsilliary: Managing after 15 years on antidepressants

augsilliary

I want to preface this by saying: I am not seeking advice on what to do specifically with medications, I am only seeking peer support in the struggle of readjusting to life after years on and off antidepressants (and other medications). I'm also autistic, ADHD and have Complex PTSD, so my ability to remember specific doses and dates is extremely limited. I have done my best in my signature to accurately represent my history and my tapering off, but I cannot give any greater detail than that, so please don't ask. It was a strain to recall what I did.

I have been on antidepressants since the age of 17, and I am now 32. I won't write out in detail what my exact history is because it's all in my signature. Suffice to say that I have had a long and predominantly unhappy relationship with medications. I never felt I was given accurate information about the risks of the medication I was given, whether it was Effexor, Pristiq, Zoloft or Seroquel. The only medication I ever got warned about was the two benzodiazepines I have been on, and that was mostly just "these can be addictive and if you ask for too much or run out too early we will think you're drug seeking". So really, there is no actual informed consent when it comes to medications, and at 17 years old when I was first really hitting bottom I was not wise enough to the system to ask more questions. It makes me furious in retrospect knowing now that these medications can have long term and serious side effects that may not go away even when you cease taking them.

I did not taper with medical support, and I tapered two medications at the same time, Zoloft (sertraline) and Seroquel (quetiapine), which was not a great idea. I also recognise in retrospect that I tapered off too quickly with Zoloft. It has now been approximately two months since I fully ceased taking Zoloft, and reduced my Seroquel from 200mg to 25mg. I would like to cease Seroquel entirely at some stage but I am prioritising the ability to sleep through the night at the moment while things are still a bit shaky. Being autistic means that I am already extremely sensitive to sensory inputs, changes in environment and routine, and I have also been staying away from my own home for weeks while our bathroom has been getting renovated, so my grounding has been very shaky for the last month and I am feeling particularly fragile and intolerant towards basically anything that is even a minor inconvenience or change. I don't know how much of what I'm feeling could be attributed to my ceasing Zoloft because things have been very unstable generally and there have been alot of stressors.

Mostly I am here because regaining my sea legs after the 15 years I have been (mostly) on antidepressants is insanely difficult and lonely. Because I feel I am unable to speak to many people about the very understandable rage and pain I experience in regards to the way these medications are prescribed and the exploitation of misery for profit. Because the conversations we are having about medications like antidpressants and mood stabilisers and antipsychotics lacks the nuance it deserves and perpetuates misinformation that is actively harmful to people's lives, and any time I try to bring nuance to these conversations I will inevitably have someone parrot that misinformation back to me and it makes me so incredibly sad. I don't want to be alone in this.

2007-2012 Effexor/venlafexine and Pristiq/desvenlafexine

2012-2015 Zoloft/sertraline

2013-2015 Seroquel/quetiapine

2015-2018 No medications (do not recall tapering schedule)

2019 Seroquel/Quetiapine 200mg, gradual taper to 25mg March 2022

2019- March 2022 Zoloft/sertraline 100mg, taper off over 6 weeks, half dose reduction every 2 weeks

2020-2021 Ativan/lorazepam

2021 Valium/diazepam

2021 Propranolol 10mg twice per day for hand tremors

Daily supplements and vitamins: Vitamin D, multivitamin, probiotic, melatonin

• ChessieCat changed the title to augsilliary: Managing after 15 years on antidepressants

Dear @augsilliary

Welcome to SA. Since you have asked to not be given advice, I won't give you any. It is likely that your symptoms are from withdrawal but it's likely that external stressors are also contributing.

I understand how hard it is to see  these drugs being prescribed right and left given the harm that they cause. 

I wish you big windows soon and quick recovery. Pls take care of yourself.

omw

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate