OmniaVincitAmor: quitting clomipramine caused me very bad depression

OmniaVincitAmor

Hi @Altostrata! Thanks for tour prompt reply!

Yes, you’re right. A person on the meds is not healed. What I meant actually was that could I have stabilized thoroughly in my situation if I had decides to stay on meds? Of course the meds have their on side effects and so on but I guess what I’m trying to ask is that is a slow and steady taper the only way to recover from the depression and anhedonia that the CT caused me? I know meds are destroing the serotonin receptors and so on so I figured I have a better chance to fully recover from my ct ifslowly taper down my meds.

You wrote:

if you get withdrawal symptoms from a reduction, a few weeks may be too short a time. You may need to hold for months to stabilize.

I was under the impression that you might always get wd symptoms after each drop. I thought once the symptoms are gone (as well as the actual hold between the drops) you can continue the tapering. So how do I know what to do and when?  Should I try to find a tapering rate where there are no wd symtoms att all? Thank you for helping me! wishing you and others sunny Easter holidays!

- Sept 2014: Bentsodiatsepin 2 x 0,5mg and Clomipramine 120 mg for chronic pain.
- Aprl 2016: Quit Clomipramine from 25 mg to 0 mg according to doctor's orders. Suddenly got severe anxiety, womiting, stomach cramps, diarrhea. Reinstated for 25 mg after 3 weeks and in a couple of days I felt normal again.
-Aug 2018: Clomipramine from 25 mg to 10 mg. Suddenly lost my interest in everything, got  anxiety, nausea etc. Stayed on 10 mg for two years and felt better again.
- May 2020: Clomipramine 10mg to 0mg. Got severe depression, anxiety, dizziness, nausea, burning sensations etc. After few months started Citalopram 25 mg. Didn't help with the depression.

- Jan 2021: Started to taper Citalopram slowly. Got significantly better, yet not good at 17mg. Currently: 15mg Citalopram, Bentso 2 x 0,5mg.

-Aug 2022 updosed Citalopram to 20mg. Bentso 2 x 0,5mg

-Sept 2022: updosed citalopram to 30mg. Bentso 2 x 0,5mg

-Jan 2023 - Feb 2023: Made the first Citalopram reduction  from 30mg to 28.20 mg with slide method.

• Administrator

A person might not get withdrawal symptoms after a drug increase.

I cannot go back in time and reverse-predict how you would have done if you stayed on the drugs. If you never skipped a dose, taken a dose off-schedule, or reduced the drug, you might not have experienced withdrawal, but you might or might not have experienced adverse effects of the drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.