LouiseW: overwhelmed and confused by all the information

LouiseW

Original title:  overwhelmed and utterly confused by all the wonderful information on here

Hello,

I have been reading and reading on this amazing site for months now.  If I am honest I am totally overwhelmed and have no idea what to do next in my quest to come off Effexor.  Help!

Edited by ChessieCat
added original topic title

April 2007 Effexor 150mg + Loperamide 4mg                 June 2007 Effexor 300mg, + Loperamide 4mg  depression worsened 

Summer 2008 Effexor 150mg + Loperamide 4mg        Spring 2009 Effexor 300mg, + Loperamide 4mg  depression worsened

Summer 2010 Effexor 150mg+ Loperamide 4mg 

Spent past 10 years trying to get below 150mg, cannot get past horrific vivid nightmares, headaches, aching body when I reduce by 10% of 150mg

January 2022 Effexor 150mg + Loperamide 4mg +  2 x Calcium, magnesium & vit D3 tablets + 2 x Vit B-complex with vit C tablets  started to get constant headache, aching body & bad vivid dreams. sure bad dreams are from the Effexor, I haven't made any changes, but the headaches & aching body could be menopause.

10th June 2022 upped dose to 225mg+ Loperamide 4mg +  2 x Calcium, magnesium & vit D3 tablets + 2 x Vit B-complex with vit C tablets, couldn't cope any longer with symptoms.  Still have aching limps, headaches, which continue majority of the day, fading late afternoon into the evening until. 

1st August 2022 - Vivid bad & disturbing dream still happening in the early hrs of the morning .

6 August 2022 - waking with headache every morning for 8 days, headache goes after 30 mins or so.  still having disturbing vivid bad dreams just before I wake in the morning.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LouiseW and welcome to SA,

Thank you for creating your drug signature.  Are you currently taking or taken in the past any other drugs/supplements?  If yes, please include those as well.  If you are taking other drugs please do a drug interaction check and copy and paste the results here in your Intro topic.  There are 2 that we use.  They each have pros and cons.

Medscape Drug Interaction Checker

Drug.com Interactions Checker

I've just done an internet search for side effects of Effexor.  You might be thinking that they are withdrawal symptoms when they could possibly be side effects of the drug.  Generally side effects reduce as the dose gets lower.

I had to look up some of the terms which I have listed below the quote.

From:  https://www.drugs.com/sfx/effexor-xr-side-effects.html

In Summary

Common side effects of Effexor XR include: anorgasmia, asthenia, constipation, dizziness, drowsiness, headache, insomnia, nausea, nervousness, anorexia, decreased appetite, delayed ejaculation, diaphoresis, and xerostomia. Other side effects include: abdominal pain, blurred vision, hypertension, impotence, tremor, vasodilation, visual disturbance, anxiety, diarrhea, increased serum cholesterol, vomiting, weight loss, decreased libido, abnormal dreams, increased dream activity, and yawning.

diaphoresis:  Perspiration, also known as sweating

xerostomia:  dry mouth, is dryness in the mouth

You state in your drug signature that you were reducing by 10%.  How often were you making a reduction?  Where you calculating it on the starting dose of the current dose?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Q:  When was the last time you tried to reduce?  You don't provide any information about your reductions.  In a post (not signature) please provide detailed information about what you have tried in the past, ie dose and the date you changed the dose and symptoms, and how long after a reduction they appeared.

Q:  Have you ever skipped days to taper?

Q:  How have you been getting your dose?  Is it accurate/consistent?

Post #1 of this topic explains how to get non standard doses:

Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)

This topic has links to many helpful SA topics:

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

This is your own Introduction topic which is the best place to ask questions specific to your own situation and journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you won't have to repeat your story.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Chessiecat, thank you so much for your reply.  I will go through all the reading and answer all your questions.

April 2007 Effexor 150mg + Loperamide 4mg                 June 2007 Effexor 300mg, + Loperamide 4mg  depression worsened 

Summer 2008 Effexor 150mg + Loperamide 4mg        Spring 2009 Effexor 300mg, + Loperamide 4mg  depression worsened

Spent past 10 years trying to get below 150mg, cannot get past horrific vivid nightmares, headaches, aching body when I reduce by 10% of 150mg

January 2022 Effexor 150mg + Loperamide 4mg +  2 x Calcium, magnesium & vit D3 tablets + 2 x Vit B-complex with vit C tablets  started to get constant headache, aching body & bad vivid dreams. sure bad dreams are from the Effexor, I haven't made any changes, but the headaches & aching body could be menopause.

10th June 2022 upped dose to 225mg+ Loperamide 4mg +  2 x Calcium, magnesium & vit D3 tablets + 2 x Vit B-complex with vit C tablets, couldn't cope any longer with symptoms.  Still have aching limps, headaches, which continue majority of the day, fading late afternoon into the evening until. 

1st August 2022 - Vivid bad & disturbing dream still happening in the early hrs of the morning .

6 August 2022 - waking with headache every morning for 8 days, headache goes after 30 mins or so.  still having disturbing vivid bad dreams just before I wake in the morning.

• 1 month later...

Hello Chessiecat,

answering your questions from 4 June

Are you currently taking or taken in the past any other drugs/supplements. 

Yes, I am currently on HRT and I take Vitamin D, Calcium and magnesium.

You state in your drug signature that you were reducing by 10%.  How often were you making a reduction?

I will wait a few week, sometimes it has been as many as 6 weeks.

Where you calculating it on the starting dose of the current dose?

10% of the starting dose.

Q:  When was the last time you tried to reduce? 

January 2022.

You don't provide any information about your reductions.  In a post (not signature) please provide detailed information about what you have tried in the past, ie dose and the date you changed the dose and symptoms, and how long after a reduction they appeared.

I have done my best in my signature, but I haven't kept records.  Negative symptoms will begin within a week.

Q:  Have you ever skipped days to taper?

Yes, but only when I have not been able to get a repeat prescription.

Q:  How have you been getting your dose?  Is it accurate/consistent?

Sorry, I don't understand this questions.

I have uploaded 2 pics.  The first one with the white and green packed is my usual prescription.  However, apparently sometimes my doctor cannot get this one and I am prescribed the second.

I believe after reading what you have sent and watching the videos, it is clear I haven't had a clue what I have been doing and unfortunately neither have any of the doctors that I have gone to for help.

Have I answered all your questions?

Louise

IMG_8481 (1).jpg

IMG_8482 (1).jpg

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, LouiseW said:

Yes, I am currently on HRT and I take Vitamin D, Calcium and magnesium.

Vitamin D is a daytime vitamin and should be taken in the morning.  If you are taking magnesium for it's calming effect it is better to take it throughout the day, not as one dose.  Also, to get the calming effect from magnesium it should be taken 2 hours apart from calcium, which cancels the calming effect.

Q:  How have you been getting your dose?  Is it accurate/consistent?

Sorry, I don't understand this questions.

If you are cutting tablets you might not be getting an exact dose.  It is important to measure your dose as accurately as possible and to take the same dose at about the same time every day.

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Please add the DATE to your drug signature for when you increased your dose.  Just saying June it might have been 8 weeks ago (1 June) or 4 weeks ago (30 June).  Thank you.

DATE June 2022 upped dose to 112.5mg, by halving 75mg tablet, so taking 1.5 tables night and day.  I just couldn't cope any longer with symptoms.  However, this has not helped much.  

Q:  How long have you been taking 112.5mg?

Q:  What improvements have you noticed since you changed your dose in June 2022?

Hi,

Thank you so much for your patience.  I have changed the signature with the details you asked for.

Louise

• Moderator Emeritus

2022 Effexor 75mg twice a day - currently suffering constant headache, aching body & bad vivid dreams

10th June 2022 upped dose to 112.5mg

You state that you updosed to 112.5mg but the previous dose you state is 150mg. 

Q:  Please post stating the dates and what doses you took between taking 150mg and 112.5mg.

Sorry, it should say 112.5mg twice a day.

2022 Effexor 75mg twice a day - currently suffering constant headache, aching body & bad vivid dreams

10th June 2022 upped dose to 112.5mg twice a day, morning and night.

• Moderator Emeritus

When discussing doses in you posts, please always state it as the total daily dose, not each dose individual.

Please change every mention of the doses in your drug signature so that we only see the TOTAL DAILY DOSE, not the separate doses.  It makes it very confusing.  The way it is at the moment it is not obvious what actual dose you are taking every day because we look for numbers. 

75mg twice a day change to 150mg

150mg twice a day change to 300mg

and 112.5mg twice a day change to 225mg.

Writing it this way will be a lot easier for the staff to see your actual daily dose at a glance and not have to read through it to get the information.  The staff do a lot of reading of member posts and drug signatures and the idea of the drug signature is so that we can see the information quickly.

Edited by ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to get an overall picture of how you were before you started Effexor and how you have been affected during the time you have been taking Effexor.

Q:  How old are you please?  I would like to know what stage of life you are at with regards to menopause.  Thank you.

Q:  What was the reason you started taking Effexor in the first place?

Q:  Have you ever taken any other psychiatric drugs or psychotropic supplements/drugs?

Q:  Can you remember how long you have had the aches for?  Have you always had them since starting Effexor?  Did you have them before ever starting the drug?

Q:  What other symptoms have you been getting whilst you have been taking Effexor?

I am asking about what side effects you have been noticing over the years of taking the drug NOT what withdrawal symptoms you experience soon after reducing the dose.

Q:  How have your symptoms changed since you updosed to 225mg on 10th June 2022?  Did any symptom improve/worsen? Do you feel the same now as you did before you reduced to 150mg?

Q:  Have you been monitoring your blood pressure over the years of taking Effexor?  Has it been high?

Q:  Do you every feel like your heart has missed a beat?

Q:  Do you get tight muscles in the legs after walking a short distance?

Q:  Do you sweat a lot even when the weather is cool?

Q:  How has your sleep been over the years you have been talking Effexor?

Q:  Have you always taking your dose split morning and night?

Q:  Over the time you have taken Effexor do you feel confused, anxious, agitated?

Q:  Have you had headaches for almost all the time you have been taking Effexor?  Did you used to get headaches before you ever started the drug?

• Moderator Emeritus

Another question:

Q:  Has there every been a time whilst you have been taking Effexor that you have felt okay?  If yes, can you remember when that was?  And for how long it was?  Was there anything else that you did/took at that time?

Q:  How old are you please?  I would like to know what stage of life you are at with regards to menopause.  Thank you.

I am 53, I started having menopause symptoms from 6 yrs ago in 2015.

Q:  What was the reason you started taking Effexor in the first place?

Severe Post natal depression.

Q:  Have you ever taken any other psychiatric drugs or psychotropic supplements/drugs?

I took Prozac for a a couple of years in my from around 22yrs old, and Seroxat in my late 20's for about 2 years.

Q:  Can you remember how long you have had the aches for?  Have you always had them since starting Effexor?  Did you have them before ever starting the drug?

Headaches have been around for 3/4 months.  No I haven't always had them, they just started this year.  No I didn't have them before starting effexor.

Q:  What other symptoms have you been getting whilst you have been taking Effexor?

Dry mouth and incredibly vivid bad dreams/nightmares.

I am asking about what side effects you have been noticing over the years of taking the drug NOT what withdrawal symptoms you experience soon after reducing the dose.

OK, I get it.

Q:  How have your symptoms changed since you updosed to 225mg on 10th June 2022?  Did any symptom improve/worsen? Do you feel the same now as you did before you reduced to 150mg?  Since updosed, headaches are much, much better, vivid bad dreams/nightmares are still there, I would say 3/4 mornings a week.

Q:  Have you been monitoring your blood pressure over the years of taking Effexor?  Has it been high?

No, I haven't been monitoring my blood pressure, only maybe one a year when I visit doctor.  My bloody pressure is low, which is usual for me.

Q:  Do you every feel like your heart has missed a beat?

No

Q:  Do you get tight muscles in the legs after walking a short distance?

No

Q:  Do you sweat a lot even when the weather is cool?

No

Q:  How has your sleep been over the years you have been talking Effexor?

Sleep not bee great since being a mum, nearly 18 yrs ago.  I have not noticed Effexor affect my sleep.

Q:  Have you always taking your dose split morning and night?

Yes

Q:  Over the time you have taken Effexor do you feel confused, anxious, agitated?

Yes, all 3, but that's only been in the last 2/3 years.

Q:  Have you had headaches for almost all the time you have been taking Effexor?  Did you used to get headaches before you ever started the drug?

No & No

Q:  Has there every been a time whilst you have been taking Effexor that you have felt okay?  If yes, can you remember when that was?  And for how long it was?  Was there anything else that you did/took at that time?

I would say the first 10 years of taking effexor were totally fine,  I feel it has all gone wrong since I started to try and come off the drug that I've had the physical problems.

Thank you so much for all the time you take.

Louise

• Moderator Emeritus
18 minutes ago, LouiseW said:

Q:  Have you ever taken any other psychiatric drugs or psychotropic supplements/drugs?

I took Prozac for a a couple of years in my from around 22yrs old, and Seroxat in my late 20's for about 2 years.

Please add these to your drug signature, just year, drug name and approx time on.  Thank you.  The effective on the nervous system of taking and going on and off psychiatric drugs is cumulative.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for answering all those questions.  I was concerned that you might have been experiencing serotonin toxicity from taking such a high dose of Effexor.  That's what I had when taking 100mg Pristiq.  It doesn't look like this is what is causing your issues.

ADs are usually activating.  Taking a dose in the evening might be affecting your sleep.

Q:  Are you taking immediate release?

Q:  How did you feel in the first week after reducing your dose recently?  Did you feel a bit better and then gradually got worse again?

Please remember to change your drug signature to show the total daily dose, not the split dose.  Thank you.

• Administrator

Hello, @LouiseW

After you increased to 112.5mg per day, did you feel better? Are your symptoms better or worse at any particular times of day? What's your sleep pattern?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Q:  Are you taking immediate release?

yes, they call it standard release here in uk.

Q:  How did you feel in the first week after reducing your dose recently?  Did you feel a bit better and then gradually got worse again?

Felt ok during first few days, say 4/5 days.  Then gradually got worse again.

After you increased to 112.5mg per day, did you feel better?   Only felt better the first 4/5 days after increasing dose.  Are your symptoms better or worse at any particular times of day?  Symptoms are worse in the morning when i first wake up, headache last 30 mins.  What's your sleep pattern?  Unpredictable, don't know if this is because of menopause or not.

• Administrator

@LouiseW what times o'clock do you take each of your drugs, with their dosages?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

In the mornings I have taken the drugs as early as 5am, because I've been woken by a nightmare, and have headache and weird swimming head, as thought I can feel the shape of my brain swoshing against my skull.  That may happen maybe once a week.  Mostly I take them between 630am - 730am.  Evening between 1030pm - 1130pm.

• Administrator

Do you mean you take both loperamide and Effexor 5 a.m.-7:30 a.m. and again between 10:30 p.m.-11:30 p.m.?

Why do you sometimes take loperamide and Effexor at 5 a.m.? Keeping to a consistent dosing schedule is very important with the immediate-release forms. Even a couple of hours variation can bring on odd symptoms or withdrawal. Like immediate-release Effexor, loperamide has a short half-life, only about 10 hours. Loperamide is an opioid receptor agonist and can incur physiological dependency.

Why have you been taking loperamide daily since April 2007? See https://www.drugs.com/loperamide.html

Please put ALL your drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

I sometimes take loperamide and Effexor between 5am - 7.30am because if I wake up early, which i often do, I will wake up with the headache and i want rid of the headache.  Yes I take loperamide and Effexor then again when I go to bed between 1030pm - 1130pm.

I will from now on take them at the same time only.

i take loperamide because I had my colon (large intestine) removed when i was 23 years old.

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2296-1524,1482-0,1665-14454,646-5790,1661-5995

• Administrator
On 8/7/2022 at 2:02 AM, LouiseW said:

Headaches have been around for 3/4 months.  No I haven't always had them, they just started this year.  No I didn't have them before starting effexor.

@LouiseW your signature indicates the headaches appeared after you started 150mg Effexor in January 2022, is that correct?

How has your symptom pattern changed since you increased the Effexor dose to 225mg June 10? Did your sleep pattern change?

Hi,

Yes, the headaches started at the beginning of this year.

The headaches where there for a few days after I increased the dose to 225mg.  My sleep pattern didn't/hasn't changed change.  I am still experiencing the nightmares/disturbing dreams now.

• Administrator

What times o'clock have you settled on for your drugs, with their dosages?

On 8/12/2022 at 11:59 AM, LouiseW said:

I sometimes take loperamide and Effexor between 5am - 7.30am because if I wake up early, which i often do, I will wake up with the headache and i want rid of the headache.  Yes I take loperamide and Effexor then again when I go to bed between 1030pm - 1130pm.

You're still getting headaches in the early morning? Any other times of day?

Yes, I am still getting headache when I wake up.

• ChessieCat changed the title to LouiseW: overwhelmed and utterly confused by all the wonderful information on here
  • ChessieCat changed the title to LouiseW: overwhelmed and confused by all the information
  • Administrator
On 8/15/2022 at 3:24 PM, Altostrata said:

What times o'clock have you settled on for your drugs, with their dosages?

7.30am Effexor 150mg + Loperamide 4mg +  2 x Calcium, magnesium & vit D3 tablets + 2 x Vit B-complex with vit C tablets, and HRT Gel

10pm  Effexor 150mg + Loperamide 4mg

• Administrator

Why are you taking loperamide twice a day, at the same time as Effexor?

Please put ALL your drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

I have been taking Loperamide morning and night since I had my total colon (large intestine) removed in my early 20's (I am now 53).  [Loperamide (Imodium) can help if you have frequent, watery poo. It works by slowing down your bowel so it takes longer for poo to pass through. This gives the bowel more time to absorb water so the poo is less runny.]

• Administrator

Why are you taking it at the same time as Effexor?

Sorry for delay, I have been away on holiday.

The only reason I take them both at the same time is for convenience for me.

When and how can I start the process of coming off the Effexor?

Thanks, Louise

• Administrator
On 8/21/2022 at 11:15 AM, Altostrata said:

Are you now taking your drugs on a consistent dosing schedule? What times o'clock do you take them, at what dosages?

Do you still have headaches? How often and at what times of day?

Interactions Checker link below.

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2296-1524,1482-0,1665-14454,646-5790,1661-5995,1044-1094

This is my current schedule, which has been consistent for 2.5 weeks now.

7.30am Effexor 150mg + Loperamide 4mg +  2 x Calcium, magnesium & vit D3 tablets + 2 x Vit B-complex with vit C tablets, and HRT Gel

10pm  Effexor 150mg + Loperamide 4mg

Headaches have gone now.

• Administrator
On 8/1/2022 at 6:51 AM, LouiseW said:

How many times did this happen?

As you can see, there is a drug-drug interaction between escitalopram and loperamide. Suggest you take them several hours apart on a regular schedule by moving the moving loperamide later to 10 a.m. and the evening escitalopram earlier to 7:30 p.m. 

When you say you can't get below 150mg venlafaxine, what happened the last time you tried to reduce dosage?

Please keep daily notes of times o’clock you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. We need to know how you feel before and after taking each drug, and your symptoms in between. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time o’clock on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show what your drugs are doing.

Sorry, I am confused, I am not on escitalopram .  Is escitalopram another name for Effexor?