HayashiST: full taper Deanxit / Flupenthixol and Melitracen

HayashiST

Hi, names Hayashi . 24 M, born and raied in Hong Kong.

Trying to fully stop taking Deanxit and never touch these meds ever again.

Started taking Propranolol, Bromazepam, Deanxit and some sleeping medication (all of these 1 pill daily) from March of 2020 for anxiety.

Already tapered off Propranolol and Bromazepam and have not taken them for 6 months now, only took the sleeping meds for the first 2 months. I am now feeling extremely well and have 0 anixety nor depression, none of that. 

I am here to seek suggestions on how I should taper off Deanxit, I took 1 daily for a year and a half, since Jan of 2022 I started skipping days, 2, 3, 4, and I am taking 1 every 5 days now. The only withdrawal effect I get are headaches, and tight temples.

I am not sure about the dosage of Deanxit I have been taking as I never asked, nor was it written on the bag.

Would assume it's 10mg (?) 0.5mg (?). My doc just told me to start skipping days, and take 1 when I feel like I need it. But we all know tapering don't work like that, so what are some suggestions? Should I cut it? 

Somedays I also have horrible sleep, can't easily fall asleep but once I fall I don't wake up till morning. Considering getting melatonin gummies, thoughts?

Thanks, love you all.

Edited by ChessieCat
Forgot to mention something

2020 March: Started taking Propranolol, Bromazepam, Lorazepam and Deanxit.

2020 June: Tapered off Lorazepam

2021 May: Tapered off Bromazepam

2021 November: Tapered off Propranolol

1 Deanxit a day since 2020 March until 2021 November, started skipping days.

2022 June: 1 Deanxit every 5 days.

• ChessieCat changed the title to HayashiST: full taper Deanxit / Flupenthixol and Melitracen

HayashiST: Final taper, Deanxit

Greetings all, names Hayashi from Hong Kong. 24 M.

Started taking Propranolol, Bromazepam, Lorazepam and Deanxit from 2020 March due to headaches and sleeplessness.

Later to be diagnosed as anxiety.

Got rid of Lorazepam pretty quickly as I was about to sleep well. I am now 1 year off from Bromazepam and just 6 months away from Propranolol.

Infact ever since November of 2021 I had 0 anxiety nor symptoms of such, don't need these medication anymore but we all know withdrawal can be tough. Trying to get rid of Deanxit right now. Went from 1 pill a day for a year and a half to now, a pill every 5 days before the withdrawal hits.

My withdrawal symptoms come to 2 forms, headaches (sensation of some tiara or headband being tightly bound to the head, mainly both sides of the temples) and dificulty in falling asleep. I don't wake up nor have any issues during my sleep, as long as I fall asleep. 

Questions

1. I don't know the dosage of Deanxit I been taking, it's not written on the bag.

2. Can I cut it? My doc said just skip days / take when you need but never said if I can cut it or not.

3. How to fall asleep quicker? Maybe Melatonin gummies?

Love you all, Thanks.

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

2020 March: Started taking Propranolol, Bromazepam, Lorazepam and Deanxit.

2020 June: Tapered off Lorazepam

2021 May: Tapered off Bromazepam

2021 November: Tapered off Propranolol

1 Deanxit a day since 2020 March until 2021 November, started skipping days.

2022 June: 1 Deanxit every 5 days.

• Administrator

Welcome, @HayashiST

We are not familiar with Deanxit here, as it is not widely prescribed in Western countries

According to https://www.papaloizou.com/PublicDocsPDF/SPCs/Deanxit_SPC.pdf, the drug half-life is 61 hours, which is quite long.

However, even with long half-life drugs, we recommend people taper by dosage reduction rather than skipping doses, which will cause drug blood level fluctuations that could trigger withdrawal symptoms, such as the headache you get now. For example, taking 1/4 tablet each day would maintain a more even drug blood level than taking one full dose every 4 days. It's best to do this rather than provoke worse withdrawal symptoms with an even larger interval between doses.

We recommend gradual tapering by 10% per step. See Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

You should find out your Deanxit dosage from the pharmacist who supplied it, or from your doctor, so you can track your dose. We do not have specific instructions for tapering Deanxit. The description of the tablet suggests it could be split; you might be able to cut it into eighths. After that, you might want to see if a compounding pharmacist can make a liquid form for the rest of your taper. Otherwise, you might want to get a digital scale to weigh tablet fragments or powder to control the rate of your taper.

See 

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

How to cut up tablets or pills

Compounding pharmacies (US, UK, and elsewhere)

Prescription compounded tapering strips from the Netherlands

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

This post explains how to cut a tablet into 1/8ths.  The part about "cutting between the layers" is like slicing a cake horizontally so you can put some cream filling into it.

On 2/23/2014 at 6:40 AM, Altostrata said:

How to cut a tablet into eighths?

Probably the best way to cut a tablet into eighths is to cut it into quarters and then split it again with a sharp knife from the side.

This is like taking a wedge of layer cake and then cutting between the layers.

If you are tapering, you will want to take the larger piece of the eighth and save the smaller pieces in a clean, dry container with a top for later.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management